Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Whew!  (I see that Burgess Meredith was in the movie as well, one of Goddard's husband. )

Next:  Which movie does Fred Astaire dance in a fun house setting?  For an extra point, name comedic couple, married in real life,  who were his dancing partners in this number?

• Like 1
Just now, Princess of Tap said:

Fred Astaire starred in "A Damsel in Distress" with George Burns and Gracie Allen as his dancing and comedy support in the fun house number.

Yes, of course you are right.  I love that number.

Next to musicals, I like a good mystery.

This British actor starred in 2 different film series of mysteries at RKO.

He played a Suave and debonair full-time Ladies Man and part-time amateur Detective in both film series.

Halfway through the second mystery series, he quit and his real life brother replaced him in the film series.

Please identify the two acting Brothers and the two mystery film series.

9 minutes ago, laffite said:

9 8 %    ?????

These two mystery film series are very popular and shown on TCM every year. This occurred recently, coupled with a popular thread in "General Discussions" talking about them on this website.

Hint: One of the brothers won an Oscar for a supporting role in an iconic Bette Davis movie about the Broadway theater.

Thanks, Princess.  That was a good question.

This one is for all those Jane Wyman fans:

Poor Jane Wyman really knew how to suffer in the movies.  Name her physical disability in:

Magnificent Obsession

The Glass Menagerie

Johnny Belinda

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

Laffite, I'm sorry, but  don't understand that question.

Click on the picture and see if you what film this person/entity appeared in.

:)I'm looking for a director and a writer. Their last names are nearly identical. The importance of being earnest is paramount in deliberating on this question, although some of you like it hot and go whole hog.  In either case, they are both great. You won't need any more clues.:) What are their names?

On 9/24/2020 at 12:06 PM, laffite said:

:)I'm looking for a director and a writer. Their last names are nearly identical. The importance of being earnest is paramount in deliberating on this question, although some of you like it hot and go whole hog.  In either case, they are both great. You won't need any more clues.:) What are their names?

I'm not sure.  Is it  Billy Wilder("some of you like it hot")  and Oscar Wilde ("The importance of being earnest")?  

Thanks, Laffite.

Next, a two-parter:

1.  What was the last movie Grace Kelly made in Hollywood before marrying Prince Rainier?

2.  What 1964 movie was Grace Kelly considering coming out of retirement to star in?  She reportedly accepted the role but ultimately turned it down because of public disapproval in Monaco.

1 hour ago, Terrence1 said:

I think her last movie was "The Swan".  As for the other, I'm guessing that it was "Marnie".  If not, I'm  pretty sure that it was something for Alfred Hitchcock.

The Swan and High Society were both made in 1956.   High Society was her last one,  released a few months after The Swan.  

Yes, Hitchcock had asked Kelly to star in Marnie.  She reportedly had accepted but ultimately turned down the part.

Good job, Terrence!  Would you like to do the next question?

Ida Lupino's favorite movie was not made at her home studio (Warner Bros.), but on loan-out to another  She played someone older than she was in real life and had several other females in the cast.

On 9/26/2020 at 7:12 PM, Terrence1 said:

Ida Lupino's favorite movie was not made at her home studio (Warner Bros.), but on loan-out to another  She played someone older than she was in real life and had several other females in the cast.

Ladies in Retirement( Columbia)