Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

This 1950s blond actress had a promising career, that was thwarted by her personal tempestuous life.

She instigated a love triangle with two male actors:

one classic male movie star was put in a coma during a fight by another suitor--a "B" male actor-- over the blond actress.

The movie star later married her but divorced her soon after, as she continued seeing the other actor.

As a result of the Scandal, both the blond and the "B" actor were blacklisted by Hollywood.

Tragically, the "B" actor ended up actually committing manslaughter.

Please identify the the three principals in this tumultuous love triangle.

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Franchot Tone, Barbara Peyton, Tom Neal?

Yes-- and for my hint I had Woody Strode up there as a fourth participant, which would have made it a quadrangle, I guess?

I barely passed geometry.:o

Good work,  Peebs, your turn!

• Like 1

In 1943 a young actor had a terrible car accident which required a metal plate in his head.  He was about to start filming a movie and MGM wanted to replace him.  The movie's two big stars refused to film without their co-star.  As a result the filming was delayed until the actor recovered.  With the help of heavy make-up to cover his scars he returned and completed the film.  Name the actor and for extra credit name his loyal co-stars and the movie about a two pilots and the woman they love in an unusual love triangle.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peebs said:

In 1943 a young actor had a terrible car accident which required a metal plate in his head.  He was about to start filming a movie and MGM wanted to replace him.  The movie's two big stars refused to film without their co-star.  As a result the filming was delayed until the actor recovered.  With the help of heavy make-up to cover his scars he returned and completed the film.  Name the actor and for extra credit name his loyal co-stars and the movie about a two pilots and the woman they love in an unusual love triangle.

Yes, this is a legendary MGM story-- Van Johnson was ready for his big break when this accident occurred. But the two stars of the movie stood by him and as a result of his performance he became a big star at Metro too.

The two stars were Spencer Tracy and Irene Dunne. The movie was "A Guy Named Joe".

This is one of the few times that some Metro Stars had Louis B Mayer over a barrel.

Reportedly all the studio head could do was agree to wait for Johnson and demand that:

" That redheaded SOB better be good! :D

Peebs, thanks for the Metro question. You're up....

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Peebs, thanks for the Metro question. You're up....

I love that story.  Your answer was better than my question!  I think it's your turn if you'd like to do the next question.  🙂

• Thanks 1

I think we'll stay with Metro--

MGM's most famous contract singer was rather an ordinary find who had to audition just like everyone else.

The singer had to sing a song for Studio head Louis B Mayer.

The young person picked a popular song of the day from a Broadway review.

One of the studio Musical directors played the piano for accompaniment.

Later the singer performed this number in a Metro Musical. And the number became a staple for the singer as recording artist and as a concert performer.

Please identify the singer, the song and for brownie points the movie where that same singer performed it.

4 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Judy Garland and the song was Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart.  Over the Rainbow was written for The Wizard of Oz, which Judy would start filming 3 years after her audition.

Star, Where have you been? I've been waiting for you.:)

It's not hard to say that " Zing " was a showstopper for Judy at Carnegie Hall in a performance, which was full of showstoppers!

Star-- You're on.....

• Like 1

We all know that Cary Grant and James Stewart are the two male stars in The Philadelphia Story, but they weren't Katharine Hepburn's original choices.  Who did she request for the roles of C.K. Dexter Haven and Macaulay Connor?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Hint:  She had never met either of the actors she requested, but one of them would eventually go on to co-star in several movies with her.  She would never work with the other one.

Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable?

That's it, Peebs!   Although Kate didn't get who she asked for because neither actor was available, I would venture to say that she had nothing to complain about with the likes of Cary Grant and James Stewart, who ended up winning an Oscar for his performance.

Your thread.

• Like 1

Thanks starlite.

Next:

In 1946,  actress Rosemary DeCamp's home was damaged when a plane crashed into their neighborhood.  The pilot of the experimental XF-11 was trying to make an emergency landing at the Los Angeles Country Club.  Name the pilot who was also a movie producer and  director who also dated Katherine Hepburn early in her career.  The pilot paid for the damage to the houses.  

Beverly Hills mansion Howard Hughes flew into to be DEMOLISHED | Daily Mail  Online

This actor, an Oklahoma native, starred in many Westerns, including a TV series.  When he starred in this sword-and-sandals  movie, he didn't take it too seriously.  In fact, he can be seen wearing cowboy boots under his desert costume.  Name the actor and the movie.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

This actor, an Oklahoma native, starred in many Westerns, including a TV series.  When he starred in this sword-and-sandals  movie, he didn't take it too seriously.  In fact, he can be seen wearing cowboy boots under his desert costume.  Name the actor and the movie.

Dale Robertson of "Wells Fargo" Fame  in "The Son of Sinbad" ???

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Dale Robertson of "Wells Fargo" Fame?

The TV show was indicated (tho not mentioned by name) in the question, but don't you have to come up with a movie?

B)

jus' kiddin'

...tho I got shot down a while back for answering only a half of a question ....:D

EDITED  ;   Thank you:D

3 hours ago, laffite said:

The TV show was indicated (tho not mentioned by name) in the question, but don't you have to come up with a movie?

B)

jus' kiddin'

...tho I got shot down a while back for answering only a half of a question ....:D

Thanks for pointing that out.

But here usually each individual is responsible for their own answer and we wait for the person who posted the question to respond.