Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Next:

The versatility of this actress- singer is amazing--

She co-starred in one of the most legendary classic Noirs of all time.

She won an Emmy Award for portraying one of America's great singers-- whose career was shortened by tragedy.

She also had her own television show and was a regular on a popular classic TV game show.

Hint: One of her husbands was a prominent agent/manager for another one of America's great popular singers, whose career also was unfortunately shortened by tragedy.

When you identify this artist, also name one of the movies or TV shows which she was known for.

And 2 shiny brownie points for the names of the two great popular singers referenced above.

I’m guessing that it’s Polly Bergen because she was once married to Freddie Fields, who, for a time, was agent/manager for Judy Garland. 

I remember her TV show, named, appropriately enough, The Polly Bergen Show, and it always ended with her singing The Party’s Over.

On Playhouse 90, she played Helen Morgan in The Helen Morgan Story, although I’m not sure that she won an Emmy for her performance.

The classic TV show on which she was a regular was To Tell the Truth.

I’m also guessing that the classic film noir that you mentioned was Cape Fear, but I’m not sure if that’s really considered a noir.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

I’m guessing that it’s Polly Bergen because she was once married to Freddie Fields, who, for a time, was agent/manager for Judy Garland. 

I remember her TV show, named, appropriately enough, The Polly Bergen Show, and it always ended with her singing The Party’s Over.

On Playhouse 90, she played Helen Morgan in The Helen Morgan Story, although I’m not sure that she won an Emmy for her performance.

The classic TV show on which she was a regular was To Tell the Truth.

I’m also guessing that the classic film noir that you mentioned was Cape Fear, but I’m not sure if that’s really considered a noir.

I knew you would get this one because her husband was Judy's manager during her CBS -TV show.

And Polly wasn't such a bad singer herself.

Star-- Excellent and thorough answer

You're up.....

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I knew you would get this one because her husband was Judy's manager during her CBS -TV show.

And Polly wasn't such a bad singer herself.

Star-- Excellent and thorough answer

You're up.....

I was thinking of Polly, but I could not think of a legendary film noir that she was in.

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

I haven't thought about her in years. My mother was a big fan of "To Tell the Truth" and really enjoyed watching her and Kitty Carlisle.

Did you ever see her performance, which is online, of "I'm Still Here" from the revival of  Follies? She's terrific.

• Thanks 2
59 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

I'm going to hold out for someone who can answer completely.  I think I know of the actor, but only two of the three movies.

With all due respect for our wonderful starliteyes, this question would have better without asking for the movies. It gives us a chance to guess. IMO, fwiw.

:)thank you, Star, I hope you don't mind my comment.

• Confused 1
7 hours ago, laffite said:

With all due respect for our wonderful starliteyes, this question would have better without asking for the movies. It gives us a chance to guess. IMO, fwiw.

:)thank you, Star, I hope you don't mind my comment.

Frankly, Laffite, just like the emoji that Princess of Tap posted, I’m rather puzzled by your comment.  The question that I posed wasn’t at all out of the ordinary for the games on these boards.  In fact, there have been trivia questions asked that have sought far more information than mine.

My asking for the names of the 3 movies that this actor appeared in doesn’t preclude you from taking a guess.  Although it’s not ideal, there have been a number of times when it has taken two people to answer a question completely.  Maybe this is one of those cases.

No offense taken and, excuse my ignorance, but what does “fwiw” mean?

Another hint:  The actor would be nominated for Best Actor one more time in his career, but it would be two decades later.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Frankly, Laffite, just like the emoji that Princess of tap posted, I’m rather puzzled by your comment.  The question that I posed wasn’t at all out of the ordinary for the games on these boards

This is the 98% thread, I didn't mention that, sorry.  That was the gist.  Yes, they all do it. So the Princess of Tap has my permission to withdraw her nasty emoji. :lol:

I don't normally pay much attention to this thread because usually the questions are so easy that there isn't much of a challenge, but in this case it looks like most people are stumped, so I'll give my answer.  In 1935, Charles Laughton starred in "Ruggles Of Red Gap" as Ruggles, "Les Miserables" as Inspector Javert, and "Mutiny On The Bounty" as Captain Bligh.  All three movies were nominated for Best Picture Oscars with "Mutiny On the Bounty" winning.  Laughton had been the Best Actor winner previously for the 1933 film "The Private Life Of Henry VIII".  He would be nominated more than twenty years later for the 1957 movie "Witness For The Prosecution".

Ruggles of Red Gap Poster  Les Misérables Poster  Mutiny on the Bounty Poster  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, starliteyes said:

With heartfelt thanks, Miles, I happily surrender this thread to you.

Star, I hope you don't mean to give up the thread permanently. Never mind me. I'm giving up any resistance to how these trivia threads go.  Forget the 98. Sorry if I offended you.

BTW. fwiw means "for what it's worth" I forgot to answer this though you probably have already learned it by now.

I always appreciate the movie posters you do in your postings. Everyone one deserves a LIKE. Much of what goes on here in TRIVIA AND GAMES may seem simplistic as in  the repetition of movies and actors, etc., but they are all great in that they celebrate movies. Your posters  contribute so well to this and I'm glad you take the time.

Onward then ...

Thanks

🌤️

50 minutes ago, laffite said:

Star, I hope you don't mean to give up the thread permanently. Never mind me. I'm giving up any resistance to how these trivia threads go.  Forget the 98. Sorry if I offended you.

BTW. fwiw means "for what it's worth" I forgot to answer this though you probably have already learned it by now.

I always appreciate the movie posters you do in your postings. Everyone one deserves a LIKE. Much of what goes on here in TRIVIA AND GAMES may seem simplistic as in  the repetition of movies and actors, etc., but they are all great in that they celebrate movies. Your posters  contribute so well to this and I'm glad you take the time.

Onward then ...

Thanks

🌤️

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was giving the thread up permanently because I'm not.  That was just me being a little bit dramatic, as is my wont at times.

Thanks for telling me what "fwiw" means.  I feel kind of stupid for not figuring it out.

Also thanks for your appreciation of the movie posters  I've posted.  I'm a bit frustrated about this at the moment because, for some reason that I don't understand, my drop down menu has changed and doesn't allow me to post anything but the small poster that appears on the title page of the movie and sometimes the picture is so small that not all of the title can be seen.  I'm hoping that this isn't going to be a permanent condition.

8 hours ago, starliteyes said:

my drop down menu has changed and doesn't allow me to post anything but the small poster that appears on the title page of the movie and sometimes the picture is so small that not all of the title can be seen.  I'm hoping that this isn't going to be a permanent condition.

I hope that gets resolved. Keep us posted on this if it's not too much trouble.  It's good you told us because we all would naturally wonder. Good Luck, Star. :)

EDIT : I've just seen a few of those smaller posters and they are still great. Seeing your other ones, I just blow them up in my mind and they are just as beautiful, I mean that truly.  Keep working on resolving the issue, but I hope too that you will continue those posts even though they are not as large. They are still nice.

• Thanks 1

You are correct, Starlit.  In the movie, after pretending to be a twelve year old, Ginger went home to Indiana.  When the Major (Ray Milland) called to say he was going to visit, Ginger decided to disguise herself as her mom.

Pin on Fred and Ginger 

The Major and the Minor (1942) 

You might have noticed a bit of a resemblance here.  

Starliteyes, you get the thread again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, laffite said:

Must be Ava. She must be the most famous.

That is correct, laffite.  Ava was Mickey's first wife, although at the time they were married she wasn't really famous for anything other than being married to him.  The fame would come several years later.

• Like 1