Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Thank you Chaya for responding.  I was waiting for confirmation because I wanted to make sure I got those bonus points that you offered. 😀

Thanks also to Lafitte for guessing, but it was Terrence who got the correct answer.  It was Barry Fitzgerald who was Oscar nominated for both best actor and best supporting actor for his role in "Going My Way".   Shortly after that happened, the eligibility rules were changed so that a person could not be nominated for two acting awards for the same role in the same movie.   I suppose that if a person played more than one role in a movie, as Alec Guinness had done a few times, they would then be eligible for two awards, but it hasn't happened yet.

Terrence gets to post the next question.  

Thanks, Miles.    Because of her studio contract, this actress had to endure playing in many mediocre movies.    The studio assured her that better roles were coming.  But when she was assigned to the female lead in an Audie Murphy Western, she decided that was enough, and she walked out on her contract.  Better things were to come.  Her name?

The Hollywood Irish Mafia started in Milwaukee.

Spencer Tracy and Pat O'Brien went to HighSchool together at the Marquette Academy in Milwaukee and that's where they solidified their lifelong friendship, which was the nucleus of the Hollywood Irish Mafia.

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Actor Pat O'Brien grew up in Milwaukee with another future movie actor.  This other fellow, like Pat, would go on to be sometimes a leading man and sometimes a second lead.  Who is the other actor?

It was a social group of Hollywood stars who mostly were of Irish Catholic descent and also included James Cagney, Allen Jenkins and Frank McHugh among others.

Princess, you are correct, of course.  They also called themselves "The Boys Club".  Besides the men that you mentioned, Lynn Overman, Ralph Bellamy, and Frank Morgan joined the group.  Occasional guests included Bert Lahr, Louis Calhern, and James Gleason.  

You're up next, Princess.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

A classical music conductor fantasizes scenarios for his allegedly adulterous wife.

Can you identify the movie, the two principal stars and the fantasized scenarios?

Unfaithfully Yours (1948) with Rex Harrison and Linda Darnell?  It's been a while since I've seen this but I think Harrison imagines killing his wife and framing her lover.  Another I think he imagines killing himself in attempt to make the adulterous couple feel guilty.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Peebs said:

Unfaithfully Yours (1948) with Rex Harrison and Linda Darnell?  It's been a while since I've seen this but I think Harrison imagines killing his wife and framing her lover.  Another I think he imagines killing himself in attempt to make the adulterous couple feel guilty.

Peebs, You nailed it.

This Preston Sturges classic is a rare piece of tragic/ comedy, which pleased the critics, but not so much the audiences at the time of the initial release.

Harrison also imagines that he plays the Gallant husband who wishes her luck and even benevolently gives her money for her new life.

It's all yours.....

• Like 1

Ok, thanks!

Next:  I heard this story recently as part of a movie intro on TCM...

In 1951 this actress had been involved in a scandal in which her husband shot and wounded the actress's agent thinking the two were having an affair.  The actress denied any affair blaming her husband's actions on the stress of his financial problems.  Her husband served four months in the County Honor Farm and then returned to producing movies.   However, after the 1951 shooting the actress's career suffered.  She later said: "I might as well have pulled the trigger myself."   Her friend Humphrey Bogart stood up for her and insisted that the studio cast her in his 1955 movie. 

Name the movie and the actress

Thanks, Peebs.  That really was a guess.   Well, let's try:

This handsome actor began his movie career right out of high school.  He married a beautiful actess working at the same studio.  After her tragic death, he married another under contract to the same studio.    Name the actor and his two wives.

4 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

Thanks, Peebs.  That really was a guess.   Well, let's try:

This handsome actor began his movie career right out of high school.  He married a beautiful actess working at the same studio.  After her tragic death, he married another under contract to the same studio.    Name the actor and his two wives.

Richard Long was one of my favorite TV actors.

First he married Suzan Ball who died of cancer.

Then he married Starlet Beauty Mara Corday.

They had a beautiful family of three children and were still married upon his untimely death from heart attacks in 1974.

A perfect answer, Princess.   His first wife died much too young.  She even continued her acting career after a  after a leg amputation.  He really came into his own on television, starring in two successful programs.   It's yours.

• Thanks 1

This actress co-starred with:

Tony Curtis

Frank Sinatra

Bing Crosby &

Glenn Ford.

She's remembered as a musical performer, however she was versatile and successful in dramas, as well as romantic comedies.

When you identify this actress, also list 1 film she appeared in with each actor referenced above.

3 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

This just has to be one my very favorites, Debbie Reynolds.

Yup-- I decided to revisit my early days with the movie mags back in the 1950s when all I could do was look at the ads because I was too young to attend adult movies.

My favorite ads were the ones with Debbie--

She was in:

"The Rat Race" with Tony Curtis

" The Tender Trap  " with Frank Sinatra

" Say One For Me" with Bing Crosby &

" It Started with a Kiss" with Glenn Ford.

Terrence, do you see one of your favorite Debbie Reynolds movies there?

Now it's your turn up at bat.....

On 12/27/2020 at 10:07 AM, Terrence1 said:

Sorry for the delay.

This Hollywood beauty, in spite of her image as a sex symbol, was actually one of the most religious actresses.  In fact, she even made some gospel recordings.  Name her. 

Is it Debra Paget?