Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

(I think that was the right answer so I'll post another question. 🤞)

Next:   What actress did Truman Capote want to play Holly Golightly in the screen version of Breakfast at Tiffany's?  

9 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I believe it was Marilyn Monroe.

Yep, that's correct.  I also read that John Frankenheimer was originally attached to direct.  I'd kind of like to see that version.

Your turn, starlit!

• Like 1

This actor generally played nice guys, and yet he gave some of his best performances when he was cast against type.  However, after an incident where a woman hit him with her purse because she was upset about the fact that she had taken her children to a film in which he was decidedly not very nice, he declared then and there that he was through playing bad guys in movies.

Name the actor and the film that had the woman so upset.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:37 PM, starliteyes said:

This actor generally played nice guys, and yet he gave some of his best performances when he was cast against type.  However, after an incident where a woman hit him with her purse because she was upset about the fact that she had taken her children to a film in which he was decidedly not very nice, he declared then and there that he was through playing bad guys in movies.

Name the actor and the film that had the woman so upset.

I think I heard about this on TCM.   Is it Fred MacMurray and The Apartment?

• Like 1

Thanks, starlit!

This actress was so convinced that she would lose the Best Actress Oscar to Bette Davis that she didn't attend the 1935 ceremony.  When she won she was summoned at the train station to accept the award.   That night the 1934 movie, her co-star, director, and the adapted screen play also won.  Name the actress.

6 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Claudette Colbert.   The movie was It Happened One Night, her co-star was Clark Gable, the director was Frank Capra and the writer was Robert Riskin. 

Yep, correct with bonus points for answering the other top Oscar winners that night!  Here's a picture of Colbert accepting her Oscar with coat in hand:

1935 | Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences  85 years of Oscar winners, fun & fashion | Oscar winners, Classic  hollywood, Hollywood

The question goes back to you, Starlit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/31/2021 at 9:55 AM, starliteyes said:

What actor always wore red socks?

I believe this is Van Johnson.  I think I heard about this on You Must Remember This podcast talking about Johnson's early career. 

You are right, Peebs; it was Van Johnson.  He started wearing red socks because he hoped that they would spark a casual conversation that would help to put him at ease in social situations.

And now it's your turn again.  

• Like 1

Thanks starlit, good question.

Next:

What actor's autobiography is titled Memoirs of a Professional Cad, first  published in 1960?   

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, no one wanted to do any research.  The boy was named Lee Aaker.   The movie with John Wayne was "Hondo", where young Lee played the son of Geraldine Page.  Let's try something else.  

The young girl who played the little sister of Richard Crenna in the TV series "The Real McCoys" had previously appeared in a movie with Bing Crosby.  What was this young actress's name and what was the name of her movie with Bing?  

• Thanks 1
On 4/13/2021 at 1:25 AM, MilesArcher said:

Apparently, no one wanted to do any research.  The boy was named Lee Aaker.   The movie with John Wayne was "Hondo", where young Lee played the son of Geraldine Page.  Let's try something else.  

The young girl who played the little sister of Richard Crenna in the TV series "The Real McCoys" had previously appeared in a movie with Bing Crosby.  What was this young actress's name and what was the name of her movie with Bing?  

Thank you for posting another question, Miles.  I see Lee Aaker just passed away.

I had to look this one up, too.  Lydia Reed played Hassie on The Real McCoys.  She also played Caroline Lord in High Society.

What sexy blonde actress initially refused to allow her image to appear on the album cover of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?   She objected claiming that she would never be in a lonely hearts club.  The Beatles personally wrote to her explaining that they were all fans and she agreed to let them use her image. In 1977, Ringo Starr appeared in her final movie .   Name the actress.

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

What sexy blonde actress initially refused to allow her image to appear on the album cover of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?   She objected claiming that she would never be in a lonely hearts club.  The Beatles personally wrote to her explaining that they were all fans and she agreed to let them use her image. In 1978, Ringo Starr appeared in her final movie .   Name the actress.

Diana Dors 

Believe it or not, she was once married to Dickie Dawson.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Diana Dors 

Believe it or not, she was once married to Dickie Dawson.

I didn't know that Diana Dors was married to Dawson.  I just looked them up, sounds like a sad ending to their marriage.  She left him and their sons for a younger man.

That's a great guess and Diana Dors is on Sgt. Pepper's cover in a gold dress.   However, that's not the actress who balked at being in a lonely hearts club.  This actress was born in 1892 and co-starred with a very young Cary Grant in one of his first movies in 1933.   She also co-starred with W.C. Fields in a 1940 movie.  On the album cover, her picture is only a headshot in the upper left corner next to Lenny Bruce.