Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

17 hours ago, Peebs said:

I didn't know that Diana Dors was married to Dawson.  I just looked them up, sounds like a sad ending to their marriage.  She left him and their sons for a younger man.

That's a great guess and Diana Dors is on Sgt. Pepper's cover in a gold dress.   However, that's not the actress who balked at being in a lonely hearts club.  This actress was born in 1892 and co-starred with a very young Cary Grant in one of his first movies in 1933.   She also co-starred with W.C. Fields in a 1940 movie.  On the album cover, her picture is only a headshot in the upper left corner next to Lenny Bruce.  

Well when you said sexy I just automatically thought of Diana Dors. But there were so many people on there that my eye immately went to the side where she was standing.

The other sexy lady on there, of course, was Mae West.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Well when you said sexy I just automatically thought of Diana Dors. But there were so many people on there that my eye immately went to the side where she was standing.

The other sexy lady on there, of course, was Mae West.

Diana Dors was a great guess and I can see the way I worded it that she'd be the first person that came to mind.  Of course you are correct, it was to Mae West that The Beatles made a written appeal to let them use her image.   Ringo later appeared in Mae West's last picture, Sextette.  Here they are with Timothy Dalton and Alice Cooper sans makeup.

Alice Cooper   BBC Music - BBC Music, Sgt. Pepper - Meet the Band: Mae West

You're up, Princess.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

Mae West

Correct!  However,  Princess answered a little earlier.  

Princess is up next.  (If Princess passes on posting then starlit is next in line. )  

14 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Sorry, Princess, that's not it.   The film in which she smoked was made several years before The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer.

I think Shirley Temple smoked a peace pipe in Susannah of the Mounties (1939)

And you're thinking would be correct, Peebs!  Shirley smoked a peace pipe a couple of times in Susannah of the Mounties, seeming to enjoy it at first and then not feeling so great shortly afterwards.

And now it's your thread.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

And you're thinking would be correct, Peebs!  Shirley smoked a peace pipe a couple of times in Susannah of the Mounties, seeming to enjoy it at first and then not feeling so great shortly afterwards.

And now it's your thread.

Thanks, starlit.  That was a great question.  It rang a bell once you said it was one of her earlier films.

Smoke the Peace pipe. : gifs

• Like 1

The Misfits (1961)  has a memorable cast:   Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe and Montgomery Clift with Thelma Ritter and Eli Wallach.   But what actor played Marilyn Monroe's husband, making a brief appearance in front of the courthouse for their divorce ?   

HENRI CARTIER–BRESSON (1908–2004), Marilyn Monroe and Kevin McCarthy on the  set of The Misfits, 1960 | Christie's

Raymond Tabor

Which French film is about a mime, a Shakespeare actor and a criminal/poet, who all three really lived in the first half of the nineteenth century?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, CoraSmith said:

Raymond Tabor

Hi Cora-- "Raymond Tabor" is the character's name but the actor who played him was Kevin McCarthy.  :)  Not a big deal!

• Sad 1

Reposting Cora's trivia question:  

26 minutes ago, CoraSmith said:

Which French film is about a mime, a Shakespeare actor and a criminal/poet, who all three really lived in the first half of the nineteenth century?

20 hours ago, CoraSmith said:

Raymond Tabor

Children of Paradise  (1945)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Peebs said:

Children of Paradise  (1945)

Correct. It's one of those films that went up in my estimation after a rewatch. It has great sets with street theater and lots of extras. The mime fragments are related to the general story.

Your turn!

• Like 1

Interesting question, Cora!  I wonder if TCM has ever shown Children of Paradise?

Next:  Here's something a lot less highbrow 😉:  My Three Sons.  What did Steve Douglas (Fred MacMurray) do for a living?