Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

We had a joke at my house. No matter how many layoffs in the aeronautical industry, Steve Douglas never lost his job.

Steve Douglas was an aeronautical engineer.

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Interesting question, Cora!  I wonder if TCM has ever shown Children of Paradise?

Next:  Here's something a lot less highbrow 😉:  My Three Sons.  What did Steve Douglas (Fred MacMurray) do for a living?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

We had a joke at my house. No matter how many layoffs in the aeronautical industry, Steve Douglas never lost his job.

Steve Douglas was an aeronautical engineer.

Yep, correct!  Your turn, Princess.

• Like 1
On 4/23/2021 at 7:45 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Who was Lucy and Desi's first choice to play Eliot Ness?

I had to do a little research but apparently Van Helfin was the first choice.  He turned down the role and then they asked Van Johnson who wanted too much money.

10 hours ago, Peebs said:

I had to do a little research but apparently Van Helfin was the first choice.  He turned down the role and then they asked Van Johnson who wanted too much money.

Did you consult Desi's autobiography on that one?

Peebs, good work and it's your turn.....

• Like 1

Thanks, Princess. I found the answer at a website devoted to The Untouchables tv series.  Hard to image Van Johnson as Elliot Ness, maybe Van Heflin.   Interesting question!

Next:  For what movie was artist Ivan Albright commissioned to create a painting?   The painting is now part of the collection at The Art Institute of Chicago.  Name the 1945 movie.  

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Yep, of course you are correct.   Your turn, starlit.

Here's a little more about the painting from the Art Institute:  "Albright’s renown as a painter of the macabre made him the ideal choice of Albert Lewin, the director of the movie, to paint the horrific image of Gray. Although the movie was shot in black and white, Lewin filmed the painted portrait in color to emphasize Gray’s shocking transformation."

Rediscovering Ivan Albright—and His Grotesque Subject Matter - Artsy

• Like 1
8 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Name the actor who gave Deanna Durbin her first screen kiss.   If you like, you can name the film, too.

My favorite TV actor who would have been my first choice to play Eliot Ness-- 

Robert Stack.

18 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

My favorite TV actor who would have been my first choice to play Eliot Ness-- 

Robert Stack.

And the movie, with a Cinderella theme,  was 1939's "First Love".

I hope you can read this newspaper article.

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-727755666/view?sectionId=nla.obj-729732976&partId=nla.obj-727771597#page/n6/mode/1up  

20 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

And the movie, with a Cinderella theme,  was 1939's "First Love".

I hope you can read this newspaper article.

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-727755666/view?sectionId=nla.obj-729732976&partId=nla.obj-727771597#page/n6/mode/1up  

Thanks, Miles

Every bio I ever read of Robert Stack always mentions that first kiss.

And thanks for mentioning the title, because I don't watch Deanna Durbin movies. LOL

This actress is so famous for her appearance in an iconic mystery thriller, for which she was nominated for the Academy Award, that audiences oftentimes forget that she was also a successful performer in musicals.

She danced in movies with some of Hollywood's top dancers--Ann Miller, Donald O'Connor and Bob Fosse, to name a few.

When you identify her, list one of her musicals and, of course, her iconic mystery thriller.

I think it's Janet Leigh.  Her musicals include "Two Tickets To Broadway" with Ann Miller, "Walking My Baby Back Home" with Donald O'Connor, and "My Sister Eileen" with Bob Fosse.   Of course, the mystery thriller is "Psycho".

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I think it's Janet Leigh.  Her musicals include "Two Tickets To Broadway" with Ann Miller, "Walking My Baby Back Home" with Donald O'Connor, and "My Sister Eileen" with Bob Fosse.   Of course, the mystery thriller is "Psycho".

Yes, Miles, You're a man I can always depend on to come through.

I actually got to see her dancing on the big screen first run opposite Dick Van Dyke in "Bye Bye Birdie".

Miles, you're up to bat.....

Harry Carey and his son, Harry Carey Jr. appeared in many movies separately, often for director John Ford.  But there was only one movie where they both appeared, and it wasn't for John Ford.   In fact, they had no scenes together.  Can you name the movie and the director?  

Thanks, Miles!   I didn't know about Desperate Trails (1921) until I saw it listed on IMDB this morning.  

Next:  Who composed the theme song for Sandford and Son?  This person also has composed music for movies such as The Italian Job, In the Heat of the Night, and The Color Purple.  This artist has won 28 Grammys.  Can you name the artist?

This was actually a record that I had. You remember those vinyl things on 33&1/3.

The name of the song was called "Chump Change" and it was written by Frank Sinatra's last favorite conductor, arranger

23 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, Miles!   I didn't know about Desperate Trails (1921) until I saw listed on IMDB this morning.  

Next:  Who composed the theme song for Sandford and Son?  This person also has composed music for movies such as The Italian Job, In the Heat of the Night, and The Color Purple.  This artist has won 28 Grammys.  Can you name the artist?

Quincy Jones.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This was actually a record that I had. You remember those vinyl things on 33&1/3.

The name of the song was called "Chump Change" and it was written by Frank Sinatra's last favorite conductor, arranger

Quincy Jones.

I love that you had this record!  There were a lot of catchy theme songs back in the day.   

Of course you are correct, Princess.  You're up.

• Thanks 1

Let's go back with Sinatra.

Frank Sinatra's favorite pop/ jazz music conductor/ arranger in the 50s and 60s at Capitol and Reprise records was closely associated with him and some of his most famous recordings.

When this conductor wasn't swingin' with Frank, he was composing TV themes for some classic iconic TV series.

After you identify the composer, name 3 very popular themes, written for 3 very popular classic TV series, which were composed by Frank's main man.

Hint: The composer didn't score many films, but he did create scores for several Sinatra Rat Pack movies.

Nelson Riddle -- he wrote the TV themes for Route 66, The Untouchables, and Emergency!  (And also scored most of the first two seasons of the Adam West Batman series.)

In addition to two Rat Pack movies (Robin and the Seven Hoods and Ocean's 11), he also scored Lolita (1962) and won an Oscar for scoring The Great Gatsby (1974).  Plus, memorably, he arranged Cole Porter's "Well, Did You Evah?" (the Bing Crosby/Frank Sinatra duet in High Society).

• Like 1