Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

On 5/11/2021 at 11:56 AM, Terrence1 said:

My Three Sons?

Very good guess, Terrence.  However, this show was a little later.  The title of the shows are similar:  Both titles refer to the number of kids.   Coincidentally,  Don Grady's (Robbie) real sister plays the oldest sister on this show.  This show ran for 5 seasons. from 1977-81.

(Here's the original question for anyone else:  Actress Diana Hyland was hired to play a mom on an hour long tv show.  She filmed only four episodes of the new series.  She had been diagnosed with breast cancer a few years earlier and thought she had beaten it.  The cancer returned and she soon passed away.  When the show returned the next fall, the father on the show was now a widower.  His character eventually begins dating and gets remarried.  Can you  name the show?)

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Is the show  "Eight Is Enough"?

Yes, that's correct.  Well done, Miles.  Diana Hyland played Joan Bradford the mother to the eight children.  After her death, the show made Dick Van Patten a widower.  Betty Buckley was brought in as his love interest.  Hyland won a posthumous Emmy for "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble" and her co-star and boyfriend, John Travolta, accepted it in her place.

Your turn....

When Walt Disney was casting an actor to play Davy Crockett in an extremely popular mini-series on the "Disneyland" TV show, Fess Parker was not his first choice.   In fact, he had not been considered.   However, Walt's staff convinced him to look a little further, so he screened a movie that Fess was in, actually wanting to see another actor.  That other actor was not available, but Walt was impressed with Fess and gave him the part.  That meant that his original choice did not get the role.  What movie did Walt screen that Fess Parker was in?  Who was the actor who was Walt's first choice to play Davy?  Who was the actor in the movie that Walt wanted to see, but was unavailable?

I had to look this one up.  Here's what I found:  James Arness was Disney's original choice.  He screened the movie Them! (1954) in which both Arness and Parker appear. Disney was impressed with Fess Parker and eventually cast him as Crockett.  Buddy Ebsen was also considered but ended up playing Davy Crockett 's friend George Russell.

Very good, Peebs.  Actually, Buddy Ebsen probably would have gotten the part, but someone on Walt Disney's staff suggested he look at James Arness, so he screened the movie "Them".  However, Arness was getting ready to star in "Gunsmoke" on TV and he wouldn't be available to Disney.  Walt noticed Fess Parker in the movie as a pilot that everyone thought was insane because he kept raving about seeing giant ants.   He offered the part to Fess Parker and told his writers to write a part for Buddy Ebsen, so they made Buddy the sidekick of Davy Crockett. 

Pin by Jill Dwight on I Remember | Tv westerns, Movie stars, Western movies

Peebs, the thread is now yours. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Terrence1 said:

Rosebud?

That's correct, Terrence!  Laura and Rob's family each had names they liked and wanted to name the new baby.  To satisfy everyone, Rob combined the first letter of each name and came up with Rosebud:  Robert, Oscar, Sam, Edward, Benjamin, Ulysses, David

Your thread, Terrence.

Hint:  In one of the movies, Shirley's parents were played by an actor and actress who would both go on to win Oscars for best supporting performances in the 1940's.

Hi starliteyes, as far as I can tell these three would qualify:

Baby Takes a Bow (1934)

Our Little Girl (1935)

The Littlest Rebel (1935)

This also seems to be true of The Little Colonel (1935), although I'm a little vague about that one.

Baby Takes a Bow stars James Dunn and Claire Trevor, who won Oscars for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) and Key Largo (1948), respectively.

Until you pointed it out, I never realized quite how overwhelmingly she was cast as either an orphan or the child of a single parent.  I guess this was assumed to increase the audience's natural impulse to want to "adopt" her, at least in their hearts.

• Like 1

Good answer, Fausterlitz.  Shirley does have two biological parents in all of the movies you cited, although in The Littlest Rebel, Karen Morley, who plays her mother, doesn't make it to the final reel.  In addition to the aforementioned movies, Shirley also had two biological parents in The Blue Bird.  Spring Byington played her mother in that one and would play her mother again in I'll Be Seeing You.

Your thread, Fausterlitz.

Thanks, starlit eyes. As an aside, my Mom (who grew up in the 30s at the height of Shirley Temple-mania) always felt jealous of her youngest sister's naturally curly blond hair, which had become the implied gold standard for adorableness. Fortunately, my grandmother made it clear that she loved all her daughters equally; my Mom and her sister are still very close (at ages 91 and 88, respectively).  🙂

Next:

In 1956 a well-known actress began a long-term musical collaboration with a young composer/arranger, who toured internationally with her for many years as the arranger + conductor for her nightclub act.  He later wrote: "You could say the music wasn't my kind of music. It actually sucked! But I liked her."  She later wrote: "As a man, he embodied everything a woman could wish for...how many such men are there? For me he was the only one."

Name the actress and the composer/arranger.

On 5/27/2021 at 12:45 PM, Fausterlitz said:

Next:

In 1956 a well-known actress began a long-term musical collaboration with a young composer/arranger, who toured internationally with her for many years as the arranger + conductor for her nightclub act.  He later wrote: "You could say the music wasn't my kind of music. It actually sucked! But I liked her."  She later wrote: "As a man, he embodied everything a woman could wish for...how many such men are there? For me he was the only one."

Name the actress and the composer/arranger.

Hints:

the composer/arranger is still alive (he's 27 years younger than the actress, who is not).  He's won two Oscars and three competitive Grammy Awards (plus a Lifetime Achievement Award), among many others.  He was married for many years to another well-known actress (his second of four marriages).

I'm guessing that the actress is Marlene Dietrich and the composer/arranger is Burt Bacharach.  He toured with her for a number of years, is 27 years younger than she and his second wife was Angie Dickinson.

• Like 1

And you are guessing correctly, starliteyes!  

Dietrich had apparently become quite dependent on him over the years, as she later wrote in her autobiography:  "He had become so indispensable to me that, without him, I no longer took much joy in singing. When he left me, I felt like giving everything up. I had lost my director, my support, my teacher, my maestro."  It's probably coincidental, but Bacharach married Angie Dickinson in 1965--the year after his collaboration with Dietrich had finally ended.  

Your thread.  🙂

• Thanks 1

This actress was married 4 times.  All of her husbands wrote screenplays and, except for her first husband, were famous in their own right.  In fact, husband #2 was a legendary film star.  Husband #3 was a distinguished actor who was twice nominated for Best Supporting Actor.  Husband #4 was a German novelist who wrote a very famous anti-war tale.

Name the actress and her 3 famous husbands.

13 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

This actress was married 4 times.  All of her husbands wrote screenplays and, except for her first husband, were famous in their own right.  In fact, husband #2 was a legendary film star.  Husband #3 was a distinguished actor who was twice nominated for Best Supporting Actor.  Husband #4 was a German novelist who wrote a very famous anti-war tale.

Name the actress and her 3 famous husbands.

Paulette Goddard

2) Charlie Chaplin

3) Burgess Meredith

4) Erich Maria Remarque

• Like 1

This performer got his start dancing in vaudeville and on Broadway with his sister.

They came to Hollywood to dance in the movies, but she left and he stayed.

He bounced around in musicals and in some straight roles, but his real success came in with television.

He appeared in three successful series.

Of the three one was an iconic sitcom.

When you identify this actor/dancer, list his iconic sitcom and one of his classic movies.