Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Buddy Ebsen started out dancing with his sister Vilma.  They both made their film debut in Broadway Melody of 1936, which turned out to be Vilma's only film.  The Beverly Hillbillies is the iconic sitcom for which he will always be remembered.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Buddy Ebsen started out dancing with his sister Vilma.  They both made their film debut in Broadway Melody of 1936, which turned out to be Vilma's only film.  The Beverly Hillbillies is the iconic sitcom for which he will always be remembered.

Yes, Buddy started out as a tap dancer. And he got to tap dance with Eleanor Powell and Shirley Temple in the legendary musicals of the '30s.

I used to really enjoy his eccentric hoofing on "The Beverly Hillbillies".

Well, Star--Wee doggies, it's your turn to take a stroll around the cement pond and give us another question.

• Thanks 1

Greer Garson -- for her Best Actress win for Mrs. Miniver (1942). It was after this that the Academy set the 45-second limit. Personally, I could listen to Greer Garson speak forever, so the five minutes she went wouldn't seem so bad.

• Like 1

You got it, Bunny!  Actually I was surprised to hear that she only spoke for 5 & 1/2 minutes, which is long for an acceptance speech.  But there have been a lot of jokes about the length of her speech over the years, and I think that I once read that she went on and on for about 45 minutes!

You're up next.

Thanks, Starliteyes! Let's do the obvious and go to the opposite end of the spectrum -- who made the shortest Academy Award speech?

• Like 1

Thanks, Bunny.

Next:  Who played Morticia's mother, Granny Frump, on The Addams Family (1964-66)?  She appeared on only three episodes. 

6/9.  Hint:  This is a familiar actress who played a villainous dual role in a beloved classic. One of those roles was as Miss Almira Gulch.  🚲🧹

4 hours ago, laffite said:

Margaret Hamilton

Yep, that's it!  Apparently, she had been offered the recurring role of Grandmama but turned it down. 

Your turn, laffite.

Pin on TV & Film "Scifi-Fantasy-Misc" Stuffs

• 2 weeks later...

This Barbara Stanwyck drama originally was supposed to star Jeff Chandler and Joan Crawford, but their management teams could not come to an acceptable agreement, so it never happened.  Name the movie.

Thanks.    Now, an actor who was in several John Ford westerns, once had a small role as a cab driver in a Marilyn Monroe movie.  Who was the actor and what was the name of the movie?

On 7/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, MilesArcher said:

Thanks.    Now, an actor who was in several John Ford westerns, once had a small role as a cab driver in a Marilyn Monroe movie.  Who was the actor and what was the name of the movie?

Miles, Help us out here with a little hint.

Harry Carey Jr. is the guy, Bunny.  He also had bit parts in "Monkey Business" (1952) and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953), two movies that featured Marilyn.  Some of his John Ford westerns include "Three Godfathers", "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon", "Rio Grande", "Wagon Master', and "The Searchers". 

Harry Carey Jr. 

Baby boomers may remember him as Mr, Burnett, the ranch foeman, on the "Spin And Marty" series on the original "Mickey Mouse Club". 

Good work, BunnyWhit.  You get to post the next one.

Thank you, MilesArcher. 

This actor received numerous death threats because his character shot John Wayne's character in the back. Please name the actor, his character, and the movie.

I waited to answer this one because I thought someone else would answer first because the story is so well known.  The actor is Bruce Dern who played a character known as Long Hair in "The Cowboys" (1972).  When John Wayne told him that Dern's character was going to shoot Wayne's character in the back, Wayne said that audiences would hate him for it.  Dern supposedly replied "Yeah, but they'll sure love me in Berkeley".  

• Like 1

This actor, who was a lead at times and a supporting actor at times, fought a 1906 legitimate exhibition boxing match with the Heavyweight Champion of the World. Who was it?