Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

I never did get confirmation from Bunny Whit on my Bruce Dern answer.  Stallion should have waited for his turn before posting a question and I should have waited before answering..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bunny, in the world of TCM fans, 1972 is hardly an oldie. 

So, that's one down and one to go.  Now, I have to wait for confirmation from Stallion on my Victor McLaglen answer.

• Haha 1

I'm tired of waiting, so I'll  post a question.

Another actor started out as a heavyweight boxer before becoming a supporting actor, first in silent movies and then in sound movies .  He was a contemporary of Victor McLaglen, but it is not known if they ever boxed each other.   He worked in movies and television right up until his death in the 1960's.  In movies, he specialized in playing big, slow witted cops, as well as bartenders.   In a popular series of crime films in the 1930's, he played a poetry spouting detective whose favorite expression was "What a day!  What a day!"

Do you know this character actor?

On 7/19/2021 at 12:42 PM, MilesArcher said:

I'm tired of waiting, so I'll  post a question.

Another actor started out as a heavyweight boxer before becoming a supporting actor, first in silent movies and then in sound movies .  He was a contemporary of Victor McLaglen, but it is not known if they ever boxed each other.   He worked in movies and television right up until his death in the 1960's.  In movies, he specialized in playing big, slow witted cops, as well as bartenders.   In a popular series of crime films in the 1930's, he played a poetry spouting detective whose favorite expression was "What a day!  What a day!"

Do you know this character actor?

Miles, do you want to give another hint?

11 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I'll make it easy.  Here is his picture:  

Cyber Boxing Zone -- Tom Kennedy  Tom Kennedy  

Here he is in his boxing days with Joe Jeanette.

BOXING: Tom Kennedy and Joe Jeanette. Kennedy was a better than average  boxer who fought most of the leading heavyweights of his… | Jeanette,  Athlete, Classic films

Miles, you made it real easy because his name is up there by the picture. 😆

It says Tom Kennedy. I can't take any credit for that. And I've never seen him in a movie that I know of. But his face looks familiar.

I inadvertently made it real easy.  He was in hundreds of movies.  You may remember him as Detective Gahagan in the Torchy Blaine series at Warner Bros. in the thirties.  Princess, the thread is now yours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This director was well known for discovering an acting child prodigy, who continued being a star throughout adulthood.

On the other side of the camera, he played a mysterious character in a classic cult horror movie.

When you identify him, please also identify his young acting discovery and the classic horror movie.

For brownie points, you might list your favorite movie that he directed.

16 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This director was well known for discovering an acting child prodigy, who continued being a star throughout adulthood.

On the other side of the camera, he played a mysterious character in a classic cult horror movie.

When you identify him, please also identify his young acting discovery and the classic horror movie.

For brownie points, you might list your favorite movie that he directed.

Hint#1--This director was blacklisted.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:51 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1--This director was blacklisted.

Hint#2--This director worked with some of the top actors in Hollywood--

Frank Sinatra, Orson Welles, Alan Ladd and Fred MacMurray.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Princess, was he one of the original "Hollywood Ten" or was he blacklisted later?

Miles, the Hollywood 10 was the first part of the Hollywood 19.

This director was one of those last 9 unfriendly witnesses to the HUAC in 1947.

After being blacklisted, he ended up working in England.

• 2 weeks later...

No clues for eight days, lol. Oh for Heaven's sake, enough already. Please post the answer so we can move on. This is the 98% thread and no need for marathon questions so common with the current questioner. Life is too short. I know you like the attention but c'mon ... ;---)

:lol:

• Thanks 1

This was a tough one, but I think I have the answer.  Is it Irving Pichel?  He was both an actor and director, sometimes during the same time period.  He appeared in the cult classic "Dracula's Daughter".  He is credited with discovering Natalie Wood.  One of his directorial works was "Destination Moon".  Another pretty good one was "Quicksand" with Mickey Rooney and Jeanne Cagney, and yes, he was blacklisted.  I remember him as the villainous Union soldier in "General Spanky".

image.jpeg.2d772a728a4c26f65572e43197ec957c.jpeg  

Princess, this thread was supposed to be relatively easy trivia questions that many people could answer.  I believe this question would be for about 2 % of the folks on these boards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

This was a tough one, but I think I have the answer.  Is it Irving Pichel?  He was both an actor and director, sometimes during the same time period.  He appeared in the cult classic "Dracula's Daughter".  He is credited with discovering Natalie Wood.  One of his directorial works was "Destination Moon".  Another pretty good one was "Quicksand" with Mickey Rooney and Jeanne Cagney, and yes, he was blacklisted.  I remember him as the villainous Union soldier in "General Spanky".

image.jpeg.2d772a728a4c26f65572e43197ec957c.jpeg  

Princess, this thread was supposed to be relatively easy trivia questions that many people could answer.  I believe this question would be for about 2 % of the folks on these boards.

Well, Miles I knew you would be one of those 2 percenters. 

Funny, I thought the person who discovered Natalie Wood would be well known to classic movie people.

Svengoolie shows "Dracula's Daughter" often, but I'm glad you mentioned "Quicksand". I have it on DVD and Peter Lorre gives it a real noir flavor. 

Miles, You hogged-tied that one, so you get to go next.....

When I joined the TCM boards, I chose MilesArcher for my screen name because Miles was the partner of detective Sam Spade in "The Maltese Falcon" and it would take a bit of detective work to answer some of the questions on these boards.  The name Miles Archer was also the name of the main character in a fifties western movie that starred an actor who was in a TV series at the time.  Can you name that movie, as well as the actor? 

Guy Madison played a character called Miles Archer in The Charge at  Feather River.  Guy Madison played Wild Bill Hickock on TV.  Interestingly, while "Googling," found out that Miles Archer was the name of Bridget Archer's Dad in the original Magnum P.I.

You are correct, Chaya.   You had only to look at the picture in my little avatar to see Guy Madison.   I wondered how the script writers could get away with using that name, but I  guessed that Warner Bros. not only owned the rights to "The Maltese Falcon", but they also must have  owned the rights to the characters' names.  It was Warner Bros. that made " The Charge At Feather River".  They also recycled the story for a 1956 episode of the TV series "Cheyenne" called "West Of The River".

Nice work, Chaya.  You're up next.

• 4 weeks later...