Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Peebs.  Humphrey Bogart made several movies with Lauren Bacall, but before they were married, he made a movie with another one of his wives.  Who was that wife and what was the name of the movie?

"Marked Woman" (1937) was a movie co-starring Humphrey Bogart with Bette Davis.

Humphrey Bogart's third wife, Mayo Methot appeared in the film playing one of the "girls".

Right you are, Princess. 

image.jpeg.254009a00b20715fcf07cdae8ab045c3.jpeg

Here are "the girls".

The cast of the 1937 film Marked Woman (left to right) Isabel Jewell, Mayo  Methot, Bette Davis, Rosalind Marqui… | Bette davis eyes, Bette davis,  Vintage film stars  

Left to right,  Isabell Jewell, Mayo Methot, Bette Davis, Rosalind Marquis, and Lola Lane 

Here's Mayo looking on between Bette and Bogey.

Bogart on Bette Davis | Playground to the Stars  

Nice work, Princess.  It's your turn now.

• Thanks 1

Next:

When George Gershwin died, his brother Ira, a lyricist, was left without a songwriting partner. 

So he hooked up with different composers for various movies.

But one movie hookup created another theme song for Judy Garland. 

When you identify Judy's song, don't forget to also identify the composer.

And a big brownie point if you can name another legendary movie song that composer wrote for Judy.

Ira Gershwin teamed up with Harold Arlen to write the score for Judy's version of A Star Is Born, and out of that collaboration came The Man That Got Away.  Harold Arlen was also the composer of Over the Rainbow with lyrics by E.Y. Harburg.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Ira Gershwin teamed up with Harold Arlen to write the score for Judy's version of A Star Is Born, and out of that collaboration came The Man That Got Away.  Harold Arlen was also the composer of Over the Rainbow with lyrics by E.Y. Harburg.

I think it's my favorite Judy song. 

Star,

You're up next on the bill--

This star was so disliked by people in the industry that when his co-star, who was practicing shooting a gun filled with flash powder, accidentally shot him in the foot, the crew laughed, applauded and gave him (the co-star) a standing ovation.

Name the star, co-star and the film they were making at the time. 

Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels were known for playing The Lone  Ranger and Tonto on  TV, but they were both in a western movie with another western star.  In the movie, Clayton Moore played a villain and Jay Silverheels played a good Indian who is wrongly accused of a crime.  What was the name of the movie and who was the western star? 

Apparently nobody wants to do a little research.  All you have to do is look up the filmographies of Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels on IMDB and see what movies, besides "The Lone Ranger", that they have in common.  The star of the movie was a singing cowboy.

That's correct, Cinemaman.  Sheila Ryan was married to Pat Buttram, who played Gene Autry's sidekick on Gene's TV series.  Later he played con man Mr. Haney on "Green Acres"  Hank Patterson was also on "Green Acres" as Fred Ziffel.

The movie "The Cowboy And The Indians" used to be shown every year at Christmas time on the Encore Western Channel.  The movie was released on September 15, 1949, which, strangely enough, was also the very same day that "The Lone Ranger" TV series made it's debut on the ABC network.

Cinemaman, it's your turn to post the next question.

• Like 1

Thanks  Miles  next:   Linda  Kaye  Henning  who  played  Betty  Jo  Bradley,  was  the  constant  sister  on  Petticoat  Junction  in  its  seven  year  run.  Please  name  the  stars  who  played   Bobby  Jo  Bradley  and  Billie  Jo  Bradley.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 9:39 PM, cinemaman said:

Thanks  Miles  next:   Linda  Kaye  Henning  who  played  Betty  Jo  Bradley,  was  the  constant  sister  on  Petticoat  Junction  in  its  seven  year  run.  Please  name  the  stars  who  played   Bobby  Jo  Bradley  and  Billie  Jo  Bradley.  Thanks

Bobby  Jo  Bradley -- Lori Saunders

Billie  Jo  Bradley-- Meredith MaCrae

Next: 

In The Bishop's Wife (1947),  Cary Grant's Dudley gives Professor Wutherridge (Monty Woolley) something to inspire him to finish writing his history book. 

What does Dudley give the Professor? 

He gave the professor an old Roman coin that the professor had previously given to the Bishop's wife to give to the Bishop as a good luck charm.  Dudley explained that it was the only one of it's kind and was very valuable.

Peebs, I think you may have misunderstood the previous question about the actresses on "Petticoat Junction".  While Linda Kaye Henning played Betty Jo for the entire run of the series, the other sisters each were played by more than one actress.  The blonde sister, Billie Jo, was played first by Jeannine Riley, then Gunilla Hutton, and finally by Meredith MacRae.    Jeannine Riley later became a regular cast member on "Hee Haw".

Bobbie Jo, the brunette sister, was played first by Pat Woodell and then by Lori Saunders.

Linda Kaye Henning was the daughter of Paul Henning, the producer who  created "The Beverly Hillbillies", "Petticoat Junction", and "Green Acres".  In the first year of "The Beverly Hillbillies", Jethro, who was played by Max Baer Jr., had a sister, Jethrine.  Max Baer Jr. also played  Jethrine and  Linda Kaye Henning supplied the voice of Jethrine.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

He gave the professor an old Roman coin that the professor had previously given to the Bishop's wife to give to the Bishop as a good luck charm.  Dudley explained that it was the only one of it's kind and was very valuable.

Peebs, I think you may have misunderstood the previous question about the actresses on "Petticoat Junction".  While Linda Kaye Henning played Betty Jo for the entire run of the series, the other sisters each were played by more than one actress.  The blonde sister, Billie Jo, was played first by Jeannine Riley, then Gunilla Hutton, and finally by Meredith MacRae.    Jeannine Riley later became a regular cast member on "Hee Haw".

Bobbie Jo, the brunette sister, was played first by Pat Woodell and then by Lori Saunders.

Linda Kaye Henning was the daughter of Paul Henning, the producer who  created "The Beverly Hillbillies", "Petticoat Junction", and "Green Acres".  In the first year of "The Beverly Hillbillies", Jethro, who was played by Max Baer Jr., had a sister, Jethrine.  Max Baer Jr. also played  Jethrine and  Linda Kaye Henning supplied the voice of Jethrine.

Thanks for the correction, Miles.  I saw that the thread had been dormant for two weeks and just looked up the characters on imdb.  Now I know! 😊

The thread is yours...

"Petticoat Junction" wasn't the only show to replace a star.  In the fifties, the star of a popular western series left the show in a contract dispute after several seasons.  The producers replaced him with another actor in the same starring role.  After a full year, the contract dispute was resolved and the original actor came back to star in the show.  The replacement actor did end up starring in another show a few years later, but it only lasted for one season.  Can you name the popular series and the two actors involved?

5 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

The character wore a mask and it isn't Zorro.

Well, this sounds like The Lone Ranger (1949-57). Clayton Moore appeared in 169 episodes and John Hart was in 54 episodes.  (?)

Yes, I'm surprised that more people didn't respond since the reruns are shown daily on FETV and other retro channels.  When I was a young child, Clayton Moore and Dick Jones, who played Buffalo Bill Jr., came to the State Armory in Hartford one Saturday to sign autographs.  My father took me and my younger brother there, but the two stars were only there for a few hours and it was so crowded that we never got to even see them.  That was a major disappointment in my young life.   The show was owned by producer Jack Wrather, who also produced "Lassie".  Apparently, Clayton Moore's contract dispute was rather bitter.  When the show ended, Wrather would not allow Clayton Moore to make appearances as The Lone Ranger, as Moore wanted .  When "Happy Days" had an episode involving "The Lone Ranger", it was John Hart who appeared as The Lone Ranger.  After Jack Wrather died, his widow, Bonita Granville, allowed Moore to then make personal appearances as The Lone Ranger, which he did for several years, but he never came back to Hartford.

Peebs, you get to post the next question.    

• Like 1

Thanks, Miles. I always think of Clayton Moore as The Lone Ranger.   I'm sorry that young Miles missed out meeting him!  

Next:  What now-defunct department store first published the story of  Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?

4 hours ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, Miles. I always think of Clayton Moore as The Lone Ranger.   I'm sorry that young Miles missed out meeting him!  

Next:  What now-defunct department store first published the story of  Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?

Well, I'm at a disadvantage here because where I come from we had locally owned department stores until Macy's showed up a few decades ago.

The only other famous department store I know about is from  "Miracle On 34th Street", so I'll have to say Gimbels. And I don't think they ever had a Gimbels in Kansas City.

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Well, I'm at a disadvantage here because where I come from we had locally owned department stores until Macy's showed up a few decades ago.

The only other famous department store I know about is from  "Miracle On 34th Street", so I'll have to say Gimbels. And I don't think they ever had a Gimbels in Kansas City.

Good guess, Princess.  However, this is a store you might have actually shopped at, as a Midwesterner.  I know I did.  It was similar to Sears.  It was founded in 1872 in Chicago.

The name of the store has two words and is the name of the founder.  My dad used to mangle it's name and call it "Monkey _______."  

Hint:  Think of the male star of A Place in the Sun.  Same first name as store.