Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us


Kid Dabb
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Peebs said:

 

Good guess, Princess.  However, this is a store you might have actually shopped at, as a Midwesterner.  I know I did.  It was similar to Sears.  It was founded in 1872 in Chicago.

The name of the store has two words and is the name of the founder.  My dad used to mangle it's name and call it "Monkey _______."  

Hint:  Think of the male star of A Place in the Sun.  Same first name as store.

Never thought I would say this, but Montgomery Wards has been gone for several decades in my neck of the woods.  

You had me stumped because we never called it a department store, like Macy's, we just thought of it as a bargain basement place like

K-Mart.

Sad to say, K-Mart is also long gone and Sears too.

Que Sera Sera.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Never thought I would say this, but Montgomery Wards has been gone for several decades in my neck of the woods.  

You had me stumped because we never called it a department store, like Macy's, we just thought of it as a bargain basement place like

K-Mart.

Sad to say, K-Mart is also long gone and Sears too.

Que Sera Sera.

Ah, I see your point.  Yes, Montgomery Wards was certainly on the lower end of the department store spectrum, similar to Sears.  Better than discount store like K-Mart but nowhere as nice as a high end dept store like Macy's or Marshall Fields.

Thanks for sticking with it.  Your thread, Princess.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This man was known as the Hollywood lawyer to the stars.

His third wife was a well-known foreign actress. But he was most famous for a several year liaison with one of the Golden Era's top movie star actresses. 

He was even portrayed in her pejorative biopic, which was based on a popular memoir by her daughter. 

Hint: Also he was engaged to Lana Turner and Dorothy Lamour--but he didn't marry either actress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2021 at 10:01 AM, Princess of Tap said:

This man was known as the Hollywood lawyer to the stars.

His third wife was a well-known foreign actress. But he was most famous for a several year liaison with one of the Golden Era's top movie star actresses. 

He was even portrayed in her pejorative biopic, which was based on a popular memoir by her daughter. 

Hint: Also he was engaged to Lana Turner and Dorothy Lamour--but he didn't marry either actress.

Greg Bautzer?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2001: A Space Odyssey was the brainchild of famed director Stanley Kubrick, and award winning science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke,  but it certainly wasn't the first such collaboration.  One of of the most famous of those early products of a famous director and a well known science fiction writer wasn't even science fiction.  Name the film, the director, and the writer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rjbartrop said:

Hint #2:  The writer would later go on to have a writing credit in one of the most famous sci fi films of all time.

RJ:

This is my first foray into this quiz thread. I've been researching a good hour or two here. I've looked at Aldous Huxley, Rod Serling, Ray Bradbury...even Michael Crighton.

Huxley wrote the screenplay for JANE EYRE (1943) which Robert Stevenson directed...but their collaboration apparently ends there.

I thought I might have found some connection with John Huston and Bradbury with MOBY DICK (1956) but can't see a western they collaborated on. I thought Serling too, as he did several noir/dramas early before his sci-fi work took hold. PLANET OF THE APES (1968) probably being his most famous sci-fi. Again, no western.

Interestingly, I've found that Isaac Asimov had almost no Hollywood footprint.

So, alas, I would humbly ask for more guidance. A year? Maybe a hint on that elusive western?

Am I even in the ballpark on my work so far?

Even without my getting the answer I've learned some stuff.  Good quiz.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MRMAGOO,  you brought up some interesting ones that I didn't know about, but as far as time goes, your first guess was the closest.

Would it help if I said the director later had his own foray into directing science fiction, albeit uncredited, on a film about an intellectual carrot from another world?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

MRMAGOO,  you brought up some interesting ones that I didn't know about, but as far as time goes, your first guess was the closest.

Would it help if I said the director later had his own foray into directing science fiction, albeit uncredited, on a film about an intellectual carrot from another world?

Is THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951) the carrot movie to which you refer? Is Howard Hawks the director we're looking for? 

I'm working...working.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

Hint #4:

This queen of space opera's film credits eventually took her to a galaxy far, far away, but this film, as far as anyone can tell, is about a very sexy bookstore.

OK, I think I got it.

 

The Director: Howard Hawks

The Screenwriter: Leigh Brackett

The Film; THE BIG SLEEP (1946)...that's interesting since I always just think of Faulkner when I think about TBS. 

The Western: RIO BRAVO (1959)..this is another as Hawks worked with Jules Furthman a lot, but I guess he used Brackett almost as much. I learned much today.

Famous SciFi Brackett is associated with: STAR WARS

Excellent quiz.  Now I'm going to rest. 

I assume I own the thread now and need to come up with some trivia for the other 2% of you. LOL. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

OK, I think I got it.

 

The Director: Howard Hawks

The Screenwriter: Leigh Brackett

The Film; THE BIG SLEEP (1946)...that's interesting since I always just think of Faulkner when I think about TBS. 

The Western: RIO BRAVO (1959)..this is another as Hawks worked with Jules Furthman a lot, but I guess he used Brackett almost as much. I learned much today.

Famous SciFi Brackett is associated with: STAR WARS

Excellent quiz.  Now I'm going to rest. 

I assume I own the thread now and need to come up with some trivia for the other 2% of you. LOL. 

You got it!  Leigh had a prolific career as a writer of science fiction novels and short stories for the pulp magazines, where she earned the title, "The Queen of Space Opera". 

ASF_LB_BAOM.jpg

Her very last screenplay was for The Empire Strikes Back.

It is indeed your turn, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rjbartrop said:

You got it!  Leigh had a prolific career as a writer of science fiction novels and short stories for the pulp magazines, where she earned the title, "The Queen of Space Opera". 

ASF_LB_BAOM.jpg

Her very last screenplay was for The Empire Strikes Back.

It is indeed your turn, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Be patient. 

It's the holidays and I have guests arriving Wednesday. So it won't be right away, but it will be diabolical.

Patience. Patience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a teaser. It's not my best but let's see how you folks do.

He had a 50 year, prolific career. Often, he was the leading man. He was one of Hollywood’s biggest box office draws for almost a decade. But he never was nominated...not once...for an Academy Award despite appearing in innumerable Oscar nominated films. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

He had a 50 year, prolific career. Often, he was the leading man. He was one of Hollywood’s biggest box office draws for almost a decade. But he never was nominated...not once...for an Academy Award despite appearing in innumerable Oscar nominated films. 

 

1 hour ago, MrMagoo said:

Hint #1: He shared the screen (both large and small) with Hollywood legends across eras. Like Holden, Fonda, Brando and Hackman. And female stars like Hayward and Davis even Melanie Griffith.

Glenn Ford?

Holden:   The Man from Colorado

Fonda:  The Rounders, Midway

Brando:  The Teahouse of the August Moon, Superman

Hackman:  Superman

Hayward:  The Lady in Question, Gilda, The Loves of Carmen, Affair in Trinidad, The Money Trap

Davis:  A Stolen Life, Pocketful of Miracles

Griffith:  Smith!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

I can do better, but while I work on it the board is yours

Thanks, Mr. Magoo!  I just hope you don't get too carried away, because (presumably) the whole point of "trivia for the other 98%" is to avoid asking questions that are "diabolically" difficult.  🙂

Next:  This actor was the much younger brother of a somewhat more famous actor, and the 12th of 13 children.  (The two of them appeared in only one film together.)  He was supposedly discovered (as a stagehand) by Gregory Peck.  He was best known for his role as a police lieutenant on a 1970s TV show, although he appeared mostly in smaller roles in films in the first decade of his career (and won a Golden Globe as New Star of the Year for one of his earlier films). Later he also had a significant role in a controversial film biography of a famous film actress.

One of the odd trivia facts involving him (and which inspired this question) is that he gave one of his three sons his own last name as a first name.  (So that son's first and last names are the same, as in Humbert Humbert.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steve Forrest. Younger brother of Dana Andrews.  Steve was New Star of the Year in 1953. I did not know they were brothers but now you can really see the resemblance. 

You're a crafty one there, Fausterlitz. Brothers with different, last stage names. Dana kept the family name.

Named his son, Forrest. I wonder if his legal name might have remained Andrews and his son was really Forrest Andrews. 

I'll have another quiz shortly.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...