Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us


Kid Dabb
 Share

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

The  Movie  is  Anatomy  of  a  Murder  1959.  This  movie  was  an  Otto  Preminger  Film.  The  cast  was  first  rate,  James  Stewart,  Lee  Remick,  Ben  Gazzara ,  Kathryn  Grant,  Eve  Arden,  Arthur  O'Connell   and  George  C  Scott.  Thanks

 

7 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

Sorry. You beat me to it Cinemaman. Your board if you like. I was fussing around with a question before posting my answer.

Yep! Well done. Thanks to Cinema and Magoo for your quick responses. 

Cinema, it looks like you posted first so the thread is yours.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, cinemaman said:

Thanks  Peebs  next:  Sharon   Gless  played  Christine   Cagney   in  the  television  show  with  Tyne  Daly.  Who  played  Christine  Cagney  in  the  pilot  episode  and  the  first  season  of  Cagney  and  Lacey.

Was it Loretta Swit?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loretta  Swit  is  the  correct  answer  for  the  series  episode  pilot episode.  The  second  part  of  the  question  who  played  Christine  Cagney  in  the  show's  first season. Peebs  you  are  half  way  home  on  this  question .  Hint  1.   This  star  was  in  the  miniseries  Washington :  Behind  Closed  Doors  1977.  Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cinemaman said:

Loretta  Swit  is  the  correct  answer  for  the  series  episode  pilot episode.  The  second  part  of  the  question  who  played  Christine  Cagney  in  the  show's  first season. Peebs  you  are  half  way  home  on  this  question .  Hint  1.   This  star  was  in  the  miniseries  Washington :  Behind  Closed  Doors  1977.  Thanks

Ooops!  I missed the second part of the question. Sorry about that.

 Meg Foster played Cagney for 6 episodes in the first season.  Swit, who was in the pilot, had to turn down the role after not being able to get out of her MASH contract.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Cinema!

Next:  Another shot on location question. I ran across this researching my last post.

This 1980 romantic drama was filmed on location at the Grand Hotel on Macinack Island, Michigan.  This movie proved to have a such a loyal fan base that the hotel still continues to have an annual weekend event dedicated to this movie.  They screen the movie, dress in period garb, and even claim to have appearances by some of the cast and crew.  The British lead actress is still alive but the two male leads are gone, with one passing away this year.  Can you name this 1980 romantic drama?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

That would be "Somewhere In Time" with Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Plummer.

Time travel & romance lit up the 1980 movie 'Somewhere in Time,' starring  Christopher Reeve & Jane Seymour - Click Americana 

That's it!  I haven't heard of "B Positive" but saw Seymour recently on "The Kominsky Method" as Alan Arkin's love interest.   Your thread, Miles. :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Peebs.  "B Positive" is on Thursdays on CBS.

I would like to end the string of questions about movie filming locations, but before I do, there is just one more I would like to ask.  A few days ago Magoo asked if I had ever been to Moodus, CT.  The answer is yes.  My friend's sister-in-law worked at Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT and they sponsored a charity golf tournament each year at a place called Banner Lodge in Moodus.  My friend got a team of four of us to play in the tournament about a half dozen times.  The course was in increasingly bad shape as time went on and they finally stopped having the tournament.  I later heard that the course was being sold.  Magoo, if you lived around Moodus, then you should be familiar with the towns of Chester, Deep River, and Essex in the area, which is in the south central part of the state, near the Connecticut river.  A movie was filmed in those towns.  Essex has a tourist attraction called the Essex Steam Train Railroad where families can take a ride on an old steam engine train.  The movie company used the train and the surrounding area for much of the picture, although the setting in the film was supposed to be in Maine.    Can anyone name the movie?  I'll give everyone a big hint.  The movie starred Doris Day.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Peebs.  "B Positive" is on Thursdays on CBS.

I would like to end the string of questions about movie filming locations, but before I do, there is just one more I would like to ask.  A few days ago Magoo asked if I had ever been to Moodus, CT.  The answer is yes.  My friend's sister-in-law worked at Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT and they sponsored a charity golf tournament each year at a place called Banner Lodge in Moodus.  My friend got a team of four of us to play in the tournament about a half dozen times.  The course was in increasingly bad shape as time went on and they finally stopped having the tournament.  I later heard that the course was being sold.  Magoo, if you lived around Moodus, then you should be familiar with the towns of Chester, Deep River, and Essex in the area, which is in the south central part of the state, near the Connecticut river.  A movie was filmed in those towns.  Essex has a tourist attraction called the Essex Steam Train Railroad where families can take a ride on an old steam engine train.  The movie company used the train and the surrounding area for much of the picture, although the setting in the film was supposed to be in Maine.    Can anyone name the movie?  I'll give everyone a big hint.  The movie starred Doris Day.  

It Happened To Jane, 1959

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This actress was featured in a classic cult movie which drove my college friends mad. 😱 Also the use of an item in this movie promised to drive you mad.

And this actress had another claim to fame as a singer. She sang an Academy Award-winning song in a Fred Astaire musical. 

Hint: The song was, of course, a kind of dance.

When you are identify the actress/singer, also identify the two movies. And don't forget to tell us which one you enjoyed the most.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

This actress was featured in a classic cult movie which drove my college friends mad. 😱 Also the use of an item in this movie promised to drive you mad.

And this actress had another claim to fame as a singer. She sang an Academy Award-winning song in a Fred Astaire musical. 

Hint: The song was, of course, a kind of dance.

When you are identify the actress/singer, also identify the two movies. And don't forget to tell us which one you enjoyed the most.

 

The actress is Ginger Rogers, singing "The Continental" in The Gay Divorcee.  I'm going to take a wild guess that the other film is Roxie Hart?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, rjbartrop said:

The actress is Ginger Rogers, singing "The Continental" in The Gay Divorcee.  I'm going to take a wild guess that the other film is Roxie Hart?

As we used to say in junior high school, you're so hot you're burning. 

RJ--Retrace your steps and you'll have the right answer. 

Hint: Several people sang "The Continental" in that movie but only one was in this famous collegiate cult classic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I first thought of Ginger Rogers as well, but I couldn't find a cult movie for her.  I then remembered that an actress named Lillian Miles sang part of "The Continental' in "The Gay Divorcee".  Lillian Miles also appeared in a cult classic called "Reefer Madness" in 1936.  I suppose that it was the reefer cigarette that could drive you mad.  Of the two films, I enjoyed "The Gay Divorcee" much more.   How about you, Princess?
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I first thought of Ginger Rogers as well, but I couldn't find a cult movie for her.  I then remembered that an actress named Lillian Miles sang part of "The Continental' in "The Gay Divorcee".  Lillian Miles also appeared in a cult classic called "Reefer Madness" in 1936.  I suppose that it was the reefer cigarette that could drive you mad.  Of the two films, I enjoyed "The Gay Divorcee" much more.   How about you, Princess?
 

Yes, Miles, it was Lillian Miles  who went down in cinema history with those two.

Needless to say I loved "The Continental". It  made you want to get up and dance whether, you could dance or not.

But "Reefer Madness" harks back to my senior college days and it was simply a lot of silly fun. At KU we had special showings at midnight in the local movie theater. 

Miles, I don't know where you went to college, but did you get in on that cult classic revival movie theater stuff?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Yes, Miles, it was Lillian Miles  who went down in cinema history with those two.

Needless to say I loved "The Continental". It  made you want to get up and dance whether, you could dance or not.

But "Reefer Madness" harks back to my senior college days and it was simply a lot of silly fun. At KU we had special showings at midnight in the local movie theater. 

Miles, I don't know where you went to college, but did you get in on that cult classic revival movie theater stuff?

Princess, I went to Eastern Connecticut State.  About eight miles away is the UCONN main campus in Storrs.  There was a movie theater near the campus that showed the popular movies of the day, as well as some retrospectives.  I saw all kinds of movies, including "Top Hat" and some old Marx brothers films.  I also saw cult films like "Freaks", "The Terror Of Tiny Town" and "Child Bride".  I tried sitting through some foreign films with sub-titles, but I found most of them pretty boring.   One interesting double feature was "Casablanca" with "Play It Again Sam".  Unfortunately the theater is no longer there.  I miss it. 

Now, four future TV stars all were featured in a movie version of a Gershwin show, although the story was changed considerably for the film..  Can you name the movie and the four people?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Princess, I went to Eastern Connecticut State.  About eight miles away is the UCONN main campus in Storrs.  There was a movie theater near the campus that showed the popular movies of the day, as well as some retrospectives.  I saw all kinds of movies, including "Top Hat" and some old Marx brothers films.  I also saw cult films like "Freaks", "The Terror Of Tiny Town" and "Child Bride".  I tried sitting through some foreign films with sub-titles, but I found most of them pretty boring.   One interesting double feature was "Casablanca" with "Play It Again Sam".  Unfortunately the theater is no longer there.  I miss it. 

Now, four future TV stars all were featured in a movie version of a Gershwin show, although the story was changed considerably for the film..  Can you name the movie and the four people?

The movie itself was not so much, but the original Gershwin Broadway show had starred two great tap dancers-

Fred and Adele Astaire. 

The MGM movie "Lady Be Good" starred Eleanor Powell tap dancing her greatest number, "Fascinatin' Rhythm". 

It's not hard to find 4 TV stars in this movie because everybody is just about in this movie. 

Our classic TV stars were:

Robert Young--"Father Knows Best"

Ann Sothern--"Private Secretary, Susie McNamara"

Phil Silvers--"Sgt Bilko/

The Phil Silvers Show  &

Red Skelton--"The Red Skelton Show". 

Miles, This was a great question for a tap dance fanatic like myself. Thanks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Princess is correct with "Lady Be Good".  I saw a stage production of it some years go and it was a completely different story from the movie.  The movie just retained the title and a couple of songs.  That happened with several movies adapted from Broadway shows.  

Magoo, It's normal etiquette on these boards to wait for confirmation after answering a question.  That's what this answer of mine is. 

Princess, it's now your turn.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This handsome actor co-starred in a classic popular TV Western. In addition to TV, he appeared in movies starring Mickey Rooney, Jeff Chandler and Walter Pidgeon.

As his career waned, he went into politics. 

Hint: His sister was a popular actress in the Golden Era of Hollywood. 

When you identify this actor and his TV series, tell us which of his movies you liked the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This handsome actor co-starred in a classic popular TV Western. In addition to TV, he appeared in movies starring Mickey Rooney, Jeff Chandler and Walter Pidgeon.

As his career waned, he went into politics. 

Hint: His sister was a popular actress in the Golden Era of Hollywood. 

When you identify this actor and his TV series, tell us which of his movies you liked the best.

It was Jack Kelly, who co-starred with James Garner in Maverick, and my favourite movie of his, has to be Forbidden Planet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

RJ--I didn't realize they played all those American TV shows in Canada.

Your answer is correct, your thread.

Oh, even before we got cable, we got lots of American TV up here, and what didn't, all that other American media coming across the border made sure you knew about it.   Have Gun, Will Travel was a favourite of my dad's.

Okay, let's keep it nice and simple, and bring it back to movies:

This long running British TV show was a cult favourite in the States.   Two of the lead actresses from that show had prominent roles as Bond girls.  Name the show, the actresses, and the Bond films they appeared in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...