Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

On 1/4/2022 at 6:34 PM, MilesArcher said:

Princess is correct with "Lady Be Good".  I saw a stage production of it some years go and it was a completely different story from the movie.  The movie just retained the title and a couple of songs.  That happened with several movies adapted from Broadway shows.  

Magoo, It's normal etiquette on these boards to wait for confirmation after answering a question.  That's what this answer of mine is. 

Princess, it's now your turn.  

My sincere apologies. I did not mean to offend your fragile sensibilities. 

In the future, would you be so kind and respond to people who answer your quiz in a more timely manner. That would help avoid these "misunderstandings". 

20 hours ago, rjbartrop said:

Oh, even before we got cable, we got lots of American TV up here, and what didn't, all that other American media coming across the border made sure you knew about it.   Have Gun, Will Travel was a favourite of my dad's.

Okay, let's keep it nice and simple, and bring it back to movies:

This long running British TV show was a cult favourite in the States.   Two of the lead actresses from that show had prominent roles as Bond girls.  Name the show, the actresses, and the Bond films they appeared in.

I'll take a stab at this, though I think it's wrong.

The TV show is GAME OF THRONES

The actresses are:

Diana Rigg in ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969)

Oona Chaplin in QUANTUM OF SOLACE (2008)..This wasn't a big role so I'm not sure she qualifies as a "Bond Girl". 

2 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

The actresses are:

Oona Chaplin in QUANTUM OF SOLACE (2008)..This wasn't a big role so I'm not sure she qualifies as a "Bond Girl". 

Diana Rigg is one of the actresses, and ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE is one of the films, but as for the rest,  I'm going to say that the name of the game here is Retro Trivia.    Games of Thrones isn't really retro, and unlike the show I'm looking was not a co production with the United States, though it does share a name with a totally unrelated American blockbuster.

I believe the TV show is The Avengers (1961-1969). The actresses are Diana Rigg from On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) and Honor Blackman from Goldfinger (1964).

10 minutes ago, rjbartrop said:

it does share a name with a totally unrelated American blockbuster.

This is what gave it away for me! :) My sister used to watch this show and I recall her getting annoyed that it was hard to find things about it since the Marvel movie was released.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, _Broadway_ said:

I believe the TV show is The Avengers (1961-1969). The actresses are Diana Rigg from On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) and Honor Blackman from Goldfinger (1964).

This is what gave it away for me! :) My sister used to watch this show and I recall her getting annoyed that it was hard to find things about it since the Marvel movie was released.

I looked right at Honor Blackman and totally whiffed on THE AVENGERS. 🤪 Doh!

I think you have the board, Broadway.

15 minutes ago, _Broadway_ said:

I'm a big fan of the show, and when the movie was announced, I kept going "Oh great, another Avengers movie?  Oh wait, it's just those superheroes again."

Anyway, it's your turn.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 12:37 PM, _Broadway_ said:

On 1/7/2022 at 12:28 PM, rjbartrop said:

Diana Rigg is one of the actresses, and ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE is one of the films, but as for the rest,  I'm going to say that the name of the game here is Retro Trivia.    Games of Thrones isn't really retro, and unlike the show I'm looking was not a co production with the United States, though it does share a name with a totally unrelated American blockbuster.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:07 AM, MrMagoo said:

The actresses are:

I haven't had a chance to say hi to all of these newbies here. We seem to be getting a lot of people in from Canada along with this cold air. LOL It's great to have New blood!

Since this is a new year, it's a good idea to remind everybody, not just the new people, that we are on the honor system here.

Even though we are very friendly with each other and often communicating in private, it would do well to remind everyone that we never give away answers or inform our friends in advance as to what our questions are going to be.

Some of us have been on this website for over 10 years and we've never had any problems with our honor system.  

Again, welcome to all the newbies and we're darn lucky to have you!👍

Thanks!  I've actually been a regular TCM viewer for close to 20 years now, though it was just recently I joined the forum.

That all sounds very reason able, and I'm all for keeping things fun and friendly, though I hope the use of things like Google and IMDb are all right.   If we end up learning a little more about our favourite topic, this is good too.

Here is the next question. I was inspired by a similar question a while back in one of the trivia threads, but I am using different characters (I think!). Your task is to identify the cartoon character and the actor they are based on or inspired by. The voice actors may or may not be the actor the character is based on.

1. mascot_69.jpg

2. 2a915e11e4b4d493cb8b73134d5dd68f.jpg

3.1221266-odie_cologne.jpg

4.  Tennessee-tuxedo-tennessee-tuxedo-38.2.j

5.  2311015_f260-1-.jpg

6. Ding-a-ling_Wolf.jpg

7.  200px-SimonBarSinister.jpg

#4 is Tennessee Tuxedo voiced by the late Don Knotts. His side kick was Chumley. They would go see Professor Whoopie when they were stumped. I named one of my cats "Whoopie" in his honor. 

19 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

#4 is Tennessee Tuxedo voiced by the late Don Knotts. His side kick was Chumley. They would go see Professor Whoopie when they were stumped. I named one of my cats "Whoopie" in his honor. 

Close! I have a feeling you probably just mistyped your answer. I do that, too! The actor is another person with the first name of "Don."

I hope you cat Whoopie also shared his namesake's encyclopedic knowledge to help you out of any jams you found yourself in! :)

• Confused 1

1.  Toucan Sam (Fruit Loops).  Looks like Carmen Miranda with that fruit on his head .  First voiced by Mel Blanc with an American accent but later  voiced by Paul Frees he sounded like Ronald Coleman. 

2.  Commander McBragg on Tennessee Tuxedo modeled after C. Aubrey Smith

3.   Odie Cologne from King Leonardo and his Short Subjects (also known as The King and Odie Show).   Sounds like Ronald Coleman, too (?)

5.  Bennie the Ball from Top Cat.  Voiced by Maurice Gosfield who also played Private Duane Doberman on The Phil Silvers Show on which "Top Cat" was based.  

6.  Ding-a-Ling Wolf appeared on The Huckleberry Hound Show.  Voiced by Doug Young impersonating Buddy Hackett.

7.  Simon Bar Sinister  appeared on Underdog.  He was voiced by Allen Swift impersonating Lionel Barrymore.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, _Broadway_ said:

Close! I have a feeling you probably just mistyped your answer. I do that, too! The actor is another person with the first name of "Don."

I hope you cat Whoopie also shared his namesake's encyclopedic knowledge to help you out of any jams you found yourself in! :)

You're right. I was thinking Don Adams. I know it's him. But I typed Don Knotts. Another "Doh"!