Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

Thanks, Magoo.  I seldom seem to be able to get a correct answer.  For some reason, that one came to me right away.

This actress began her movie career in small, brief parts as a child.  In her career, she only received one Oscar nomination.  For a while she was under contact with 20th Century Fox.  Her Oscar nomination was for a movie with Burt Lancaster.

A very good guess, Magoo.   But I don't think she ever did movies as a child.  I have to admit that I was not aware of this either until recently I watched an old Victor Mature movie in which this actress played his younger sister.  She appeared to be about five years old and this was her first movie appearance.    She also appeared in a Lana Turner movie with an all-star cast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terrence1 said:

A very good guess, Magoo.   But I don't think she ever did movies as a child.  I have to admit that I was not aware of this either until recently I watched an old Victor Mature movie in which this actress played his younger sister.  She appeared to be about five years old and this was her first movie appearance.    She also appeared in a Lana Turner movie with an all-star cast.

Terry Moore was nominated for a Best Actress Supporting Oscar for her role in the movie abdaptation of William Inge's play "Come Back, Little Sheba".

• Like 1

I looked at COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA and completely overlooked Terry Moore as I glanced at Shirley Booth and concluded she wasn't the right answer and moved on. I'll let Terrence  confirm your answer, but I'll be surprised if you are not correct. 

This actor it's best remembered as the star of a classic hit TV fantasy/Syfy comedy series.

But his career was diversified and successful in many venues.

He won a Tony Award for a supporting role in a classic Broadway musical and was nominated for an Emmy Award as Best Supporting Actor numerous times.

He appeared, most notably on Broadway in musicals. However, he also appeared in Shakespeare dramas and comedy plays.

His long career in "A"-list movies put him acting opposite actors from several generations: Tab Hunter, Doris Day, Robert Redford and John Malkovich. 

Hint: In the 1990s he was a regular on a popular dramatic TV series.

When you identify this actor, you can name one of his TV series, one of his movies and one of his Broadway shows. 

41 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This actor it's best remembered as the star of a classic hit TV fantasy/Syfy comedy series.

But his career was diversified and successful in many venues.

He won a Tony Award for a supporting role in a classic Broadway musical and was nominated for an Emmy Award as Best Supporting Actor numerous times.

He appeared, most notably on Broadway in musicals. However, he also appeared in Shakespeare dramas and comedy plays.

His long career in "A"-list movies put him acting opposite actors from several generations: Tab Hunter, Doris Day, Robert Redford and John Malkovich. 

Hint: In the 1990s he was a regular on a popular dramatic TV series.

When you identify this actor, you can name one of his TV series, one of his movies and one of his Broadway shows. 

Is it Ray Walston? He was in My Favorite Martian and Picket Fences.  He was in Damn Yankees on stage and screen.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Harry Nilsson?

Yep, that 's it!  Nice job, Magoo.  For some reason, I never knew this until a few days ago.  I thought it was an interesting little tidbit.

Your thread...

In keeping with Peebs musical question I think I'll try another.

This actor is mostly known as a singer and song writer.. He had several musical hits in the 60's-80's. He appeared in several films, most notably a John Wayne war epic of the 60's. He made numerable TV appearances over the years. His last was in 2020. Nevertheless, his reputation is mostly as a musical performer.

I have a particular connection to him as I was the "Big Brother" (Big Brothers/Big Sisters) to the son of his collaborator on a song that became an iconic commercial jingle associated with one of America's  greatest companies of the 20th Century....that sadly...is almost an afterthought these days. His collaborator on the song was a Madison Ave. advertising exec who wrote the lyrics.

He also wrote the lyrics for 2 songs that were made famous by Frank Sinatra and Michael Jackson, respectively.

Name the actor (mostly a singer tho), name the song/jingle and the company that it is ubiquitously associated with. Also name the John Wayne movie he appeared in. Can you name the 2 songs? The Sinatra hit and the Jackson one? 

Extra credit: Name the Madison Ave. advertising lyricist. 

2 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Hint #1: The person we are looking for also wrote the theme song to America's longest running late night tv show. Is that too easy?

Paul Anka? 

"Times of Your Life" was used in Kodak commercials. It was written by Roger Nichols and Bill Lane.  Anka was in the movie The Longest Day (1962). Anka reworked a French ballad and turned it into "My Way" which was a hit for Sinatra.  Anka co-wrote "This is It" with Michael Jackson in the 1980's.  Apparently, the relationship soured after Anka claimed Jackson stole their tapes and then recorded the song in 2009. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Paul Anka? 

"Times of Your Life" was used in Kodak commercials. It was written by Roger Nichols and Bill Lane.  Anka was in the movie The Longest Day (1962). Anka reworked a French ballad and turned it into "My Way" which was a hit for Sinatra.  Anka co-wrote "This is It" with Michael Jackson in the 1980's.  Apparently, the relationship soured after Anka claimed Jackson stole their tapes and then recorded the song in 2009. 

Ding...ding....ding....we have a winner. Anka also wrote the theme song for Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. I was the "Big Brother" to Bill Lane's son after he and his wife divorced. I never met him, but he did score some great Yankee tickets for me and his son. Lane had the Kodak account and came up with the lyrics for "Times of Your Life" and the Kodak ad campaign. 

Your thread Peebs.

• Like 1

Thanks, Magoo. I needed that extra clue!  Interesting story about Bill Lane and his son.  Did you keep in touch with him?

Next:  Keeping with theme songs, name the actor who wrote the TV theme songs for Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life. 

This actor co-wrote the songs with his wife who also recorded the vocals for The Facts of Life.  The actor was best known as a dad of three on a 1980's family sitcom.

Alan Thicke and his wife was Gloria Loring in real life  co- wrote songs with Alan. Alan Thicke Was the dad on Growing Pains.       

Gloria Loring was on Days of Our Lives for many years and she played a singer on the soap

Robin Thicke, their son, is also a singer.

• Like 1

"Thanks, Magoo. I needed that extra clue!  Interesting story about Bill Lane and his son.  Did you keep in touch with him?"

Yes I did. He grew up into a fine young man (in spite of me, I like to say 🤪) and has a wonderful family of his own up in Massachusetts. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Peebs since you did post the next question I answered it above, however Mr. Magoo did answer you about Bill Lane and his son. So after you read his response to you pls see my answer to the question you posted.

Alan Thicke is correct.  Well done, Lav!   Bonus points for mentioning that his son, Robin,  is also a singer.  He had a big hit a few years ago with "Blurred Lines."

The thread is yours, Lavender.

Thank you Peebs. When Gloria Loring was on Days of Our Lives those were some of the years I watched that soap.

Next

Real life father and son were on tv shows playing a friend to the star of the tv show. Not the same shows. The tv shows were long running hits 1950s thru 1960s. Father and son and the 2 tv shows the father played the friend of the star and the tv show the son played the friend of the star ???????

How about Carl Reiner in "The Dick Van **** Show" and Rob Reiner for "All in the Family"? I'm not sure they were "friends" of the stars, however. But I'll give it a shot.

If not...how about Ed and Keenan Wynn both appearing on "The Red Skelton Hour". Again, not different shows and not necessarily friends of the star. But...again..I'll give it a shot. 

Lyle Talbot played Joe Randolph, Ozzie's friend on "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet" in the early 1950's.  Later, he played Paul Fonda, Bob's friend on "The Bob Cummings Show".

Lyle Talbot Picture 

Lyle's young son, Stephen Talbot, played Beaver's friend Gilbert Bates on "Leave It To Beaver". 

image.jpeg.f20eace9df500a05b979eaf7d4e54cc2.jpeg  

Lyle Talbot can currently be seen as Commissioner Gordon on the "Batman And Robin" serial that has been running on TCM on Saturdays.  The final chapter is coming up this weekend.  

• Like 2