Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Lyle Talbot played Joe Randolph, Ozzie's friend on "The Adventures Of Ozzie And Harriet" in the early 1950's.  Later, he played Paul Fonda, Bob's friend on "The Bob Cummings Show".

Lyle Talbot Picture 

Lyle's young son, Stephen Talbot, played Beaver's friend Gilbert Bates on "Leave It To Beaver". 

image.jpeg.f20eace9df500a05b979eaf7d4e54cc2.jpeg  

Lyle Talbot can currently be seen as Commissioner Gordon on the "Batman And Robin" serial that has been running on TCM on Saturdays.  The final chapter is coming up this weekend.  

You got them Miles

Dad was Lyle Talbot, Ozzie's friend and he played Bob Cummings friend in Love That Bob. 

Stephen Talbot, Lyle's son in  real life, played Gilbert Bates, Beaver's friend on Leave it to Beaver. At one point Lyle appeared on Ozzie and Harriet while Stephen was on Beaver, in the same years.

As an aside, Stephen became  a writer, producer, director of documentaries for PBS and in some of Stephen's work, Lyle did voice work.

Talented father and son.

Good work Miles and I'm watching Beaver right now! Your thread and Thanks for posting the photos of Lyle and Stephen

17 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.   We all remember Beaver's teacher, Miss Landers, who he liked very much, but before Miss Landers came along, Beaver had another teacher.  Can you name her, as well as the actress who played the part?

Miss Canfield played by Diane Brewster?

This actress' career has something for everybody, no matter what your taste is.

She was a 20 year plus veteran of a beloved TV soap opera, but her career started on the other side of the pond, where she was considered to be competition for Jean Harlow.

In her long career, she  co-starred with Boris Karloff, Ronald Coleman and John Wayne. 

She appeared in five John Ford movies. 

And she was featured in one of Bette Davis' comeback hits. 

Plus she has a prime time TV resume which spans several decades and includes "Perry Mason", "My Three Sons" and "Mission Impossible". 

When you identify this prolific actress and her long running TV soap opera, don't forget to name at least one film that you enjoyed her in.

Anna Lee ? she was Lila Quartermane on General Hospital. She was in Bedlam with Boris Karloff, My Life With Caroline with Ronald Colman and Fort Apache with John Wayne. 2 favorites that Anna Lee was in was The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and How Green Was  My Valley.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Anna Lee ? she was Lila Quartermane on General Hospital. She was in Bedlam with Boris Karloff, My Life With Caroline with Ronald Colman and Fort Apache with John Wayne. 2 favorites that Anna Lee was in was The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and How Green Was  My Valley.

Lav, being the soap opera fan you are, I knew you'd get this one right off.

And my favorite role for her is as Bette Davis' nice neighbor in "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?" 

Lav, it's all yours.....

LoL I haven't  watched GH since Luke and Laura were married in 1981. That was the last time I watched any daytime soap opera. I watched some as a kid and watched sometimes when my kids were napping when they were babies, so that's not how I thought of Anna Lee, it was the movie clues.

Next 

This actresses back was broken when she fell from a horse while filming.

She recovered quickly but later in life suffered from the injury. Actress and the film ??

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Elizabeth Taylor fell from her horse while filming National Velvet (1944)?

Correct Peebs. Elizabeth and National Velvet. She was an accomplished rider but she did fall from the horse and later in life sadly she suffered because of the fall.

Btw I spent hours with Elizabeth at the Plaza Hotel in the 1960's

. We were showing her jewelry .It was a private showing in her and Richard Burton 's suite. Her eyes were really purple and she was gorgeous and so nice. One of the most unforgettable and special afternoons of my life.

Good work Peebs, your thread.

• Like 1

Thanks, Lav.   Wow, that must have been a memorable afternoon! Did you get to meet Richard Burton, as well?

Next:  Another actress suffered a back injury during filming.  She was thrown from the horse and spent six weeks in the hospital recovering from a broken back. When she returned to filming, she had to wear a back brace.  Several months later she suffered a miscarriage which many attribute to the on-set accident. 

Can you name this actress?  Hint, this movie was her only Western.

4 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, Lav.   Wow, that must have been a memorable afternoon! Did you get to meet Richard Burton, as well?

Next:  Another actress suffered a back injury during filming.  She was thrown from the horse and spent six weeks in the hospital recovering from a broken back. When she returned to filming, she had to wear a back brace.  Several months later she suffered a miscarriage which many attribute to the on-set accident. 

Can you name this actress?  Hint, this movie was her only Western.

This is Audrey Hepburn. And the only Western I can remember for her is "The Unforgiven", 1960.

One of my favorite films for her, co-starring Burt Lancaster.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

This is Audrey Hepburn. And the only Western I can remember for her is "The Unforgiven", 1960.

One of my favorite films for her, co-starring Burt Lancaster.

That's it.  Good work, Princess!  Your thread...

• Thanks 1

Audie Murphy?

He was married, briefly, to Wanda Hendrix.

I would say his favorite movie of mine would be DESTRY (1954)

As for a Hendrix movie? It might be JOHNNY COOL (1963) since it's about the only movie I think I've seen with her in it. 

If I'm right I'll come up with another quiz. 

Here goes.

There are 6 actresses who have been nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role Oscars in films directed by their husbands.  In fact, one of the actresses and her husband pulled this little trick off twice! They didn't necessarily win, but some did.

The husbands may or may not have been nominated for Best Director for the same film. It's not critical.

In addition, there is one more actress who was nominated for a best actress Oscar while being directed by her "future" husband.

How many can you name? The actress. Her husband. The film. 7 total.  Which tandem did it twice?

Good luck.

I goofed. I fixed it. 7 actresses were up for Best Actress Oscars in a movie directed by their husband.  1 of the 7 was not married to her director at the time of the movie but later married him.

1 actress/director combo did this twice. 

Gena Rowlands / John Cassavetes: A Woman Under the Influence (1974) and Gloria (1980)

Frances McDormand / Joel Coen (co-director): Fargo (1996)

Susan Sarandon / Tim Robbins: Dead Man Walking (1997)

Jean Simmons / Richard Brooks: The Happy Ending (1969)

Joanne Woodward / Paul Newman: Rachel, Rachel (1968)

I haven't figured out the other one yet.  🙂

You're doing well. I didn't have the Sarandon/Robbins duet on my list...but...but....but...they were never married. 

You've gotten 4 of the 7. 

I think one should be pretty easy, but 2 of them (one is the actress who eventually married her director) might be a challenge.

OK, I think I've got the other 3:

Elisabeth Bergner / Paul Czinner: Escape Me Never (1935)

Julie Andrews / Blake Edwards: Victor/Victoria (1982)

Melina Mercouri / Jules Dassin: Never On Sunday (1960)  -- they weren't married until 1966

Good point about Susan Sarandon, sorry!  🙂

9 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

OK, I think I've got the other 3:

Elisabeth Bergner / Paul Czinner: Escape Me Never (1935)

Julie Andrews / Blake Edwards: Victor/Victoria (1982)

Melina Mercouri / Jules Dassin: Never On Sunday (1960)  -- they weren't married until 1966

Good point about Susan Sarandon, sorry!  🙂

Excellent. No need to apologize. With the way this board comes up with trivia answers I thought, "Oh no!" Fausterlitz got one I didn't see. I immediately thought Sarandon and Robbins had married as well. Oh well....that's Hollywood.

You got the other 3. I thought the Bergner/Czinner one would be the tough one. Good job!

Your board.