Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

Going Hollywood (1933) and High Society (1956).  Supposedly Louis B. Mayer had Crosby banned from the MGM lot after he wrote some lyrics poking "good-natured fun" at Raoul Walsh (director of Going Hollywood)--hence the long hiatus.  A scene featuring the title song from Going Hollywood also appears in That's Entertainment! (1974).

3 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Going Hollywood (1933) and High Society (1956).  Supposedly Louis B. Mayer had Crosby banned from the MGM lot after he wrote some lyrics poking "good-natured fun" at Raoul Walsh (director of Going Hollywood)--hence the long hiatus.  A scene featuring the title song from Going Hollywood also appears in That's Entertainment! (1974).

Correct answer, and thanks for telling us something we all already know.

Fau--your thread.

Thanks, Princess!  And yes, I can believe having a little thing for Newkirk.  Dawson was pretty cute back in the day.  I also liked his turn as Tracy Rattigan on The Dick Van Dyke Show.

150 Richard Dawson ideas | richard dawson, dawson, richard

Next:   Let's stick with with Hogan's Heroes.  During WWII which cast member was sent to the Buchenwald concentration camp as a child?  "I was very immature and young and not really fully realizing what situation I was involved with ... I don't know if I would have survived if I really knew that." 

After the war, he began a singing career.  He later appeared on Broadway and made his US TV debut on the Ed Wynn Show in 1950.   After Hogan's Heroes he was a panelist on games shows like Hollywood Squares and Stump the Stars.  He later appeared on soap operas including over 300 episodes of Days of Our Lives.   Can you name this Hogan's Heroes actor?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, Princess!  And yes, I can believe having a little thing for Newkirk.  Dawson was pretty cute back in the day.  I also liked his turn as Tracy Rattigan on The Dick Van Dyke Show.

150 Richard Dawson ideas | richard dawson, dawson, richard

Next:   Let's stick with with Hogan's Heroes.  During WWII which cast member was sent to the Buchenwald concentration camp as a child?  "I was very immature and young and not really fully realizing what situation I was involved with ... I don't know if I would have survived if I really knew that." 

After the war, he began a singing career.  He later appeared on Broadway and made his US TV debut on the Ed Wynn Show in 1950.   After Hogan's Heroes he was a panelist on games shows like Hollywood Squares and Stump the Stars.  He later appeared on soap operas including over 300 episodes of Days of Our Lives.   Can you name this Hogan's Heroes actor?

A very sad and tragic story that he has made the best of by informing others about the Holocaust. 

Robert Clary, who played LeBeau, the Frenchman, is a Holocaust survivor. Though most of his family perished.

• Like 1

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

A very sad and tragic story that he has made the best of by informing others about the Holocaust. 

Robert Clary, who played LeBeau, the Frenchman, is a Holocaust survivor. Though most of his family perished.

Yep, that's it.  He had a very sad start but as you say,  used his experience to educate people about the Holocaust.  

Nicely done.  Your thread, Princess.

• Thanks 1

This actor had an amazing multi- decade career as a star, starting in the 40s. He was mainly known for playing noir-type tough guys.

But in the 80s he turned to television and starred in two ratings blockbuster miniseries, about an important event in the 20th century.

The miniseries were based on novels by a writer whose Pulitzer Prize winning novel was the basis for one of *Humphrey Bogart's most legendary characterizations. 

When you identify the actor and the miniseries, also identify the novelist, whose works they were based on.

*A Brownie point for the Humphrey Bogart movie.

I'm going to go with Robert Mitchum. The mini-series were  THE WINDS OF WAR and WAR AND REMEMBERANCE. Both about WW II. 

The author was Herman Wouk. Who won the Pulitzer for THE CAINE MUTINY in 1952 which became Bogart's vehicle for his portrayal of Captain Queeg.

I'm going to go a little outside the box here. 

I recently read a biography of one of my favorite authors and found he had a cousin who performed on Broadway and shared the stage with Humphrey Bogart in the 1930's.

So....I'm looking for this stage actor who shares the same last name as one of America's more renowned authors of the 2nd half of the 20th century.

This actor was born in the midwest and moved to NY and performed in a number of Broadway plays in the 30's. One was with Bogart in a play which he then went on to reprise in the film version (same title). It was Bogart's breakout film performance. Also, in this same play and film his co-star, who was more famous at the time, insisted that Bogie get the film role or he wouldn't perform. Bogie repaid the favor years later by naming one of his children after his co-star.

Now the midwest born Broadway actor did not perform in the film version. His cousin, the famous author, did not become famous until the 60's.

The author had several of his books turned into films. His most famous book was also a common reference point in American culture. It was the focus of an important onscreen debate/argument between Kevin Bacon's character and John Lithgow's.

1. Name the Broadway actor.

2. Name his more famous cousin of the same name and his famous book.

3. Name the play that co-starred question #1's actor that was turned into the Bogart film.

4. Who was Bogart's mentor and co-star in both who he named a child after.

5. Name the film that contained the Bacon-Lithgow scene. And the subject of their debate.

Sorry if this is askew...I couldn't resist.

6 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

1. Name the Broadway actor.

2. Name his more famous cousin of the same name and his famous book.

3. Name the play that co-starred question #1's actor that was turned into the Bogart film.

4. Who was Bogart's mentor and co-star in both who he named a child after.

5. Name the film that contained the Bacon-Lithgow scene. And the subject of their debate.

Sorry if this is askew...I couldn't resist.

How about this...

1.  Walter Vonnegut

2.  Kurt Vonnegut and Slaughterhouse Five

3.  The Petrified Forest

4.  Leslie Howard 

5.  Footloose, & Slaughterhouse Five :

Mr. Gurntz: He was trying to teach *that* book down at the school.

Mrs. Allyson: Slaughterhouse-Five, isn't that an awful name?

Ren: Yeah it's a great book... Slaughterhouse-Five, it's a classic.

Mr. Gurntz: Do you read much?

Mrs. Allyson: Maybe in another town, it's a classic.

Ren: In *any* town.

Mr. Gurntz: Tom Sawyer is a classic!

12 hours ago, Peebs said:

How about this...

1.  Walter Vonnegut

2.  Kurt Vonnegut and Slaughterhouse Five

3.  The Petrified Forest

4.  Leslie Howard 

5.  Footloose, & Slaughterhouse Five :

Mr. Gurntz: He was trying to teach *that* book down at the school.

Mrs. Allyson: Slaughterhouse-Five, isn't that an awful name?

Ren: Yeah it's a great book... Slaughterhouse-Five, it's a classic.

Mr. Gurntz: Do you read much?

Mrs. Allyson: Maybe in another town, it's a classic.

Ren: In *any* town.

Mr. Gurntz: Tom Sawyer is a classic!

Excellent, Peebs. Yes, you're right.

In addition, I was telling my wife over dinner last night about my trivia question and how I was predicting that Peebs would be the fellow poster who would get it. Kudos!

We watched the Vonnegut documentary, UNSTUCK IN TIME (I recommend it), the other night and I asked my wife if she could get it. A few summers ago we also saw a performance of THE PETRIFIED FOREST at the Berkshire Summer Theater in Great Barrington, MA. After which we queued up the Bogart, Davis, Howard version of the film. She had forgotten the Howard connection. The film was an almost exact, word for word, reflection of the play. 

I'm a huge Vonnegut fan and am reading some of his later writings. He led a fascinating  life, as did several of his extended family. 

Enough already. Your thread, my friend. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Magoo!  I knew about the Leslie Howard/Bogart connection but had never heard of Walter Vonnegut.  I'll have to look up that Vonnegut documentary, sounds interesting!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next:   Danville, Illinois is about 120 miles south of Chicago, population 31,000-ish.  It boasts five famous people who grew up there:  

1.  An Oscar winning actor.   He went to jr high and part of high school in Danville.  With Sidney Poitier's death, he became the oldest living and earliest surviving Best Actor Oscar-winner.

2.   Two brothers.  One had a iconic 1960's sitcom on which his younger brother appeared a few times as his younger sibling.  Danville is mentioned as their hometown on the show.

3.  An actor who is best known for an athletic one man dance number in a popular musical.   He also appeared in a series of movies co-starring an animal. 

4.  A cabaret singer and piano player.  He performed at NYC's Cafe Carlyle for over 30 years. He made brief movie appearances including Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters.

Can you name these famous five men who grew up Danville, Illinois? 

17 hours ago, cinemaman said:

4.  Bobby  Short

Well done, Cinema!  You got all 5 of the famous Danville-ians.  Here's a local mural depicting the five men plus Helen Morgan the jazz singer. 

Danville, IL - Wall of Hometown Celebrities

What Dick Van Dyke, Gene Hackman, Donald O'Conner and Others Have in  Common. • Blog | Martin Oaks Cemetery and Crematory

Your thread.

• Like 2