Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us


Kid Dabb
 Share

Recommended Posts

As some of you may be aware, I am a retired veterinarian. Too late in life, I aspired to be an actor. No great loss. Instead, I dabbled in local politics. I am living proof, as someone once said, "Politics is Hollywood for unattractive people."  

My quiz:

However, there is a well-known, accomplished actor, director and writer who originally aspired to being a veterinarian. He went to college with that in mind but caught the acting bug and the world is much better off for it. I'm sure he would have made a fine vet, but his Hollywood career was top notch. 

Among his many screen roles, incidentally, was one as a veterinarian. He was the male lead in this particular film.

Can you name him and the film. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Hint #2: Pat Hingle was in it

I think I finally figured it out.  Is it actor, playwright Sam Shepard?  He was in Baby Boom with Pat Hingle.  He played local vet Dr. Jeff Cooper and love interest for Diane Keaton.  Shepard wanted to be a vet until he got the acting bug in college.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can always count on you, Peebs.

I was reading about Shepard recently and familiarizing myself with his plays. I've never seen "True West". Two productions had John C. Reilly and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the leads and another had Ethan Hawke and Paul Dano. I'd like to see them. I bet they were outstanding.

I knew, long ago, that Shepard had aspired to being a Veterinarian. I know what that's like. I've always felt a kinship to him.  

Your board

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Magoo.  Whew!  That one had me stumped until Pat Hingle, an actor not known for rom-coms.  

 

Next:  Sort of keeping with the last question from our resident retired veterinarian, What was the name of Detective Tony Baretta's s cockatoo on Baretta?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, Magoo.  Whew!  That one had me stumped until Pat Hingle, an actor not known for rom-coms.  

 

Next:  Sort of keeping with the last question from our resident retired veterinarian, What was the name of Detective Tony Baretta's s cockatoo on Baretta?

 

Fred

And I did all I could to avoid treating birds. They all pecked me. Even little budgies and parakeets. Hated 'em. 😬

Here is another veterinarian quiz.

Name the actor from the Andy Griffith show who played a veterinarian in a full length movie that co-starred another actor  from another popular 60's-70's sit-com. A third actor, the star of the movie, also had a short lived tv show in the late 50's into the 60's. This particular tv show and it's star were later the template for a show/actor that was a critical plot point in a recent film (and big hit) that starred 2 of today's biggest male stars. The character of one of these biggest stars was fashioned after the life/career of the star of the 1st movie. 

Name both of the sit-com actors.

Name the movie they appeared in where one was a vet.

Name the other popular sit-com.

Name the 3rd actor and his show of the 50's-60's (not a sitcom).

Name the recent movie that copied that show in it's plot and the 2 stars of it. 

Extra credit: Name the directors of the 2 films I'm looking for. While generationally far apart they are known for similar genres. 

Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Fred

And I did all I could to avoid treating birds. They all pecked me. Even little budgies and parakeets. Hated 'em. 😬

Here is another veterinarian quiz.

Name the actor from the Andy Griffith show who played a veterinarian in a full length movie that co-starred another actor  from another popular 60's-70's sit-com. A third actor, the star of the movie, also had a short lived tv show in the late 50's into the 60's. This particular tv show and it's star were later the template for a show/actor that was a critical plot point in a recent film (and big hit) that starred 2 of today's biggest male stars. The character of one of these biggest stars was fashioned after the life/career of the star of the 1st movie. 

Name both of the sit-com actors.

Name the movie they appeared in where one was a vet.

Name the other popular sit-com.

Name the 3rd actor and his show of the 50's-60's (not a sitcom).

Name the recent movie that copied that show in it's plot and the 2 stars of it. 

Extra credit: Name the directors of the 2 films I'm looking for. While generationally far apart they are known for similar genres. 

Good luck.

Is it The Getaway (1972) directed by Sam Peckinpaw?  Jack Dodson (Howard Sprague on Andy Griffith) played Harold Clinton who was married to Fran played by Sally Struthers (from All in the Family). 

Steve McQueen was on Wanted: Dead or Alive.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood starring Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio featured Damian Lewis as McQueen.  Directed by Tarantino.  DiCaprio played Rick Dalton who was on a show called Bounty Law.  

How's that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Peebs said:

Is it The Getaway (1972) directed by Sam Peckinpaw?  Jack Dodson (Howard Sprague on Andy Griffith) played Harold Clinton who was married to Fran played by Sally Struthers (from All in the Family). 

Steve McQueen was on Wanted: Dead or Alive.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood starring Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio featured Damian Lewis as McQueen.  Directed by Tarantino.  DiCaprio played Rick Dalton who was on a show called Bounty Law.  

How's that?

check, check, check, check, check, check............

I like how you filled in the little Damian Lewis connection. 👍

Regardless, you're up. I anxiously await. This appears to be yours and my private thread. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Magoo!  That was another epic one but The Andy Griffith clue was a big help.  I always thought it was odd to see Mayberry resident Howard Sprague  in a Sam Peckinpaw movie.

 

Next: 

Natalie Wood wore chunky bracelets to cover up a wrist that was broken as a child. Young Natalie was hurt while filming a stormy scene on a foot bridge that collapsed.  The injury wasn't treated properly and left her with a thicker wrist.  In which movie did child actor Natalie Wood break her wrist?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, Magoo!  That was another epic one but The Andy Griffith clue was a big help.  I always thought it was odd to see Mayberry resident Howard Sprague  in a Sam Peckinpaw movie.

 

Next: 

Natalie Wood wore chunky bracelets to cover up a wrist that was broken as a child. Young Natalie was hurt while filming a stormy scene on a foot bridge that collapsed.  The injury wasn't treated properly and left her with a thicker wrist.  In which movie did child actor Natalie Wood break her wrist?  

Yes, I agree. Dodson in a Peckinpaugh film was an interesting casting, however, I would say he fit the image of the character very well. It was also a waaaaaay out of character role for Sally Struthers. 

Dodson, I didn't know til just now, was married to the sister of actor, Fritz Weaver, who I think we discussed in another thread recently.

I did not think THE GETAWAY was much of a movie, but I did like the closing scene with McQueen and Slim Pickens. It had a nice ending.

I'll get to work on your Natalie question.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

Looks like Natalie broke her wrist in THE GREEN PROMISE (1949) starring Walter Brennan. 

I'll come up with a new one when you give me the high sign.

Yep, that's it.   Poor thing, it must have terribly scary for her.  I think I read that this contributed to her fear of water, too.  I believe the only time you really see her without a bracelet on screen is the bathtub scene in Splendor in the Grass.   Anyway, she still was gorgeous.

Well done, Magoo!   I'll batten down the hatches in preparation for your next question.

NATALIE WOOD: DRAMATIC SCENE: THE GREEN PROMISE (1949) - YouTube

Ever notice how Natalie Wood always wears a chunky bracelet on her left  wrist? (Even in her films) It's to hide a small protrudi… | Natalie wood,  Hollywood, Natalie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Name the actor who had a significant supporting role in THE GODFATHER (1972) who produced (his only one) an earlier Marlon Brando film. 

Name the actor/producer and the earlier Brando film he produced.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Yep, that's it.   Poor thing, it must have terribly scary for her.  I think I read that this contributed to her fear of water, too.  I believe the only time you really see her without a bracelet on screen is the bathtub scene in Splendor in the Grass.   Anyway, she still was gorgeous.

Well done, Magoo!   I'll batten down the hatches in preparation for your next question.

NATALIE WOOD: DRAMATIC SCENE: THE GREEN PROMISE (1949) - YouTube

Ever notice how Natalie Wood always wears a chunky bracelet on her left  wrist? (Even in her films) It's to hide a small protrudi… | Natalie wood,  Hollywood, Natalie

Yikes! I bet that scene would be illegal for child actors to do today. They'd do it with CGI now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next:

 

Name the actor who had a significant supporting role in THE GODFATHER (1972) who produced (his only one) an earlier Marlon Brando film. 

Name the actor/producer and the earlier Brando film he produced.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Next:

 

Name the actor who had a significant supporting role in THE GODFATHER (1972) who produced (his only one) an earlier Marlon Brando film. 

Name the actor/producer and the earlier Brando film he produced.

 

 

Al Lettieri who played Sollozzo?  He produced Night Following Day (1969)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lettieri played the heavy chasing after McQueen in THE GETAWAY. That's why I went with him. You got it. Thumbs up.

He died young too. In his 40's. Musta been a heavy smoker from the sound of his voice. 

Your thread.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Magoo. 

Next:  In what movie does an older Brando parody his Godfather character?  For a bonus point, name the supporting actor from this comedy who also appeared in Godfather II.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

Can you name the Canadian born actor whose brother once was the Deputy Prime Minister of Canada?

Leslie Nielsen.  His older brother, Erik Nielsen was Deputy Prime Minister under Brian Mulroney.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next. I'm going to repost my previous question:

In what movie does an older Marlon Brando parody his Godfather character?   For extra  credit name the supporting actor who appeared in this 1990 comedy who also appeared in Godfather II.

Hint:  This comedy co-stars  Maximilian Schell, Burt Parks and a komodo dragon

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Peebs said:

Next. I'm going to repost my previous question:

In what movie does an older Marlon Brando parody his Godfather character?   For extra  credit name the supporting actor who appeared in this 1990 comedy who also appeared in Godfather II.

Hint:  This comedy co-stars  Maximilian Schell, Burt Parks and a komodo dragon

Oops... I jumped the gun. 

I think the answer to your question is THE FRESHAMN (1990). Bruno Kirby co-starred and played the young Clemenza in GF II. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrMagoo said:

Oops... I jumped the gun. 

I think the answer to your question is THE FRESHAMN (1990). Bruno Kirby co-starred and played the young Clemenza in GF II. 

 

No problem, Magoo!  Yep, that's it.  I also answered your Canadian question.

Have you ever seen The Freshman?  It's a funny, quirky little comedy with a good cast. And there's an exotic animal subplot that might interest a retired veterinarian.  I know you weren't fond of treating birds. Did you get many "exotic" pets?

Your thread, Magoo 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Peebs said:

No problem, Magoo!  Yep, that's it.  I also answered your Canadian question.

Have you ever seen The Freshman?  It's a funny, quirky little comedy with a good cast. And there's an exotic animal subplot that might interest a retired veterinarian.  I know you weren't fond of treating birds. Did you get many "exotic" pets?

Your thread, Magoo 

Yes, I have seen The Freshman. I thought the first half was better than the 2nd.

I did not see many "exotics". Someone, when I first started out called and asked if I treated pet tarantulas. I didn't. Afterwords, I wondered what I had gotten myself into. I treated an injured deer once. A duck. A swan. Not too much, really. 

I treated an elephant once. It survived in spite of me. Elephants are anatomically (except for the trunk thing) and physiologically closer to cows which I knew about. So, I thought, "OK, if this were a cow, what would I do?" I winged it. Whew!

NEXT: Name the only actor to receive both best actor and best supporting actor nominations....for the same role...in the same movie. Name the actor and the movie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...