Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

1 hour ago, Terrence1 said:

I believe that would be Barry Fitzgerald for "Going My Way".

Yes. The Academy changed the rules after that disallowing that from ever happening again. Fitzgerald was the 1st and only.

Your board Terrence.

Thanks, Magoo.  I liked your question.

Name the actor who, upon winning an Oscar, said,  (and I'm paraphrasing), "I hope this isn't a  mistake, because I'm never giving it back."

Hint:  It was for a musical.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:48 AM, Terrence1 said:

Thanks, Magoo.  I liked your question.

Name the actor who, upon winning an Oscar, said,  (and I'm paraphrasing), "I hope this isn't a  mistake, because I'm never giving it back."

Hint:  It was for a musical.

Is it Yul Brenner for The King and I?

Thanks, Terrence!  The clue about him winning for a musical was a big help.

Next:  On WKRP in Cincinnati, what was the name of their rival station? 

Hint:  In one episode the mascots for the two stations get into a fight.  Herb dressed as a giant carp gets into a fight with their rival station's mascot, another animal.  

12 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Who has the most acting credits from the cast of PULP FICTION (1994). Name and role from the film.

Is it Samuel L Jackson who played Jules Winnfield?  It looks like he has about 197 credits.

9 hours ago, Peebs said:

Is it Samuel L Jackson who played Jules Winnfield?  It looks like he has about 197 credits.

Nope....not even close. I appreciate this may be a little out there. 

I'm talking "acting" credits. TV, shorts, voice, film. No theater, however. 

You'll be surprised

13 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Nope....not even close. I appreciate this may be a little out there. 

I'm talking "acting" credits. TV, shorts, voice, film. No theater, however. 

You'll be surprised

Phil LaMarr who played  "Marvin" with 507 credits?

Thanks, Magoo!

Next:  In honor of St. Patrick's Day, here's a quick one about The Quiet Man (1952).  The filming was a family affair with John Wayne's kids making a cameo, Maureen O'Hara's brothers in supporting roles, and John Ford's brother as the elderly bedridden man. 

Barry Fitzgerald's brother also plays a supporting role.  Can you name Fitzgerald's brother and his character in The Quiet Man?

17 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Lisa Gaye who was in "Rock Around The Clock" and her sister, Debra Paget, who was in "The Ten Commandments"?

Miles, yes it could.

Needless to say Lisa was higher on my top 40 chart with all of her rock and roll moves.

But Debra acted alongside of some handsome heartthrobes like Robert Wagner and John Derek. 

Miles, play through.....

In the 1950's there was an "Annie Oakley" TV series that starred Gail Davis as Annie and Jimmy Hawkins as her young brother Tagg.  When the pilot film was made and presented to the network, another boy played the part of Tagg.  Who was that other boy and why was he replaced when the series went into production?

12 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

In the 1950's there was an "Annie Oakley" TV series that starred Gail Davis as Annie and Jimmy Hawkins as her young brother Tagg.  When the pilot film was made and presented to the network, another boy played the part of Tagg.  Who was that other boy and why was he replaced when the series went into production?

8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Just guessing, Billy Gray?

And he had to go into "Father Knows Best"? 

If I can remember that far back, those two boys kinda looked alike.

Both together

You are correct, Princess.   The series was produced by Gene Autry's production company, Flying A Productions.  Gene thought that young girls should have a role model in a television series, so he cast Gail Davis in the starring role.  She had worked with him in numerous episodes of his TV series, as well as several early fifties movies.  For the role of Tagg, young Billy Gray was cast in the pilot.  Billy had appeared in a couple of episodes of Gene's  show.  The pilot was filmed in 1952, but the ABC network did not decide to make the series until 1954.  By that time Billy Gray had committed to playing Bud Anderson on "Father Knows Best", so Jimmy Hawkins was cast in the "Annie Oakley" series. 

Here is that pilot episode:

Nice work, Princess.  You're up next.  Say, did you ever have an Annie Oakley doll? 

Pin on Clowns and Dolls 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

You are correct, Princess.   The series was produced by Gene Autry's production company, Flying A Productions.  Gene thought that young girls should have a role model in a television series, so he cast Gail Davis in the starring role.  She had worked with him in numerous episodes of his TV series, as well as several early fifties movies.  For the role of Tagg, young Billy Gray was cast in the pilot.  Billy had appeared in a couple of episodes of Gene's  show.  The pilot was filmed in 1952, but the ABC network did not decide to make the series until 1954.  By that time Billy Gray had committed to playing Bud Anderson on "Father Knows Best", so Jimmy Hawkins was cast in the "Annie Oakley" series. 

Here is that pilot episode:

Nice work, Princess.  You're up next.  Say, did you ever have an Annie Oakley doll? 

Pin on Clowns and Dolls 

Nope, Miles I didn't need the doll. I was the real Annie Oakley in my territory. One Christmas Santa Claus brought me the Annie Oakley outfit, hat and all. And this cowgirl knew how to ride a pony, load a cap gun and bring in the bad guys.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 3:06 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Nope, Miles I didn't need the doll. I was the real Annie Oakley in my territory. One Christmas Santa Claus brought me the Annie Oakley outfit, hat and all. And this cowgirl knew how to ride a pony, load a cap gun and bring in the bad guys.

I have a great quiz to throw at the group if you will allow me to jump the thread while you come up with another. I'll defer to your judgement. 🙃

Next: 

This young actor was the toast of Hollywood in the late 50s and early 60s. He appeared opposite Audrey Hepburn, Jane Fonda and Sophia Loren--becoming a teen idol who even had a recording career.

But coming from an acting family, he also had Broadway stage credits.

In fact, while he was shooting his most iconic role, he was also rehearsing for a Broadway musical.

After the heyday of his stardom, his film career continued through 4 more decades. 

Despite his versatility as an actor, he's primarily remembered for that iconic role, because of its widespread critical and popular acclaim, and also because he reprised it in film sequels.

When you identify this actor in his iconic role, also name another film he appears in that you liked.