Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

12 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sounds like Anthony Perkins  ? Psycho of course is the iconic film. My favorite film Anthony Perkins had a role in is Friendly Persuasion. I liked Five Miles to Midnight with Sophia Loren.

Lav, you're right on target.

And I like Brahms --

"Goodbye Again".

Lav, fast and  good work. Your thread....

6 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

I have a great quiz to throw at the group if you will allow me to jump the thread while you come up with another. I'll defer to your judgement. 🙃

Thanks Princess. Friendly Persuasion is on my 10 favorite film list,  Tony Perkins was wonderful in the film.

Since magoo has a question he'd like to post I'll pass the thread to him

• Thanks 1

Let's try this one. 

Paul Newman was interested in the role. Nicholson wanted it too. Stacey Keach was signed but was bought out so that this unknown actor could take this iconic role that led to an Oscar nomination in one of Hollywood's greatest horror movies.

Name the actor, role and film.

1 hour ago, MrMagoo said:

Let's try this one. 

Paul Newman was interested in the role. Nicholson wanted it too. Stacey Keach was signed but was bought out so that this unknown actor could take this iconic role that led to an Oscar nomination in one of Hollywood's greatest horror movies.

Name the actor, role and film.

Is it The Exorcist and Father Karras played by Jason Miller?  

• Like 1

Too fast!!!! Excellent. 

I researched it a bit and did not see any references to the Father Karras role in any online bios of Newman, Nicholson or Keach. I won't say I looked everywhere, but I thought I could stump you for at least a day.

I also found it interesting that Brando was considered for the Von Sydow role (perfect casting, right?) of Father Merrin.

Also, Jane Fonda, Audrey Hepburn and Anne Bancroft were considered for Ellen Burstyn's role. Burstyn, to me, is a fine actress who, despite many accolades, is greatly underappreciated by Hollywood. 

I have a personal story about my 1st experience seeing the Exorcist. 

Your thread Peebs.

• Like 1

Thanks, that was a good one, Magoo! I must have read about that before because it sounded familiar.   Hard to imagine Newman or Nicholson as Father Karras.  I think having such a big name in that role would have somehow made it less scary. 

Would you like to share your Exorcist story?  

I was in college and all the guys on my floor bought advance tiks to see it together. It was in a big, 20's style art deco theater...huge satin curtains...sat 800. Every seat taken for like a 4 pm showing.

I happen to sit between 2 guys from across the hall who had graduated from a tiny, strict catholic boys, high school that shipped a lot of grads off to seminary and the priesthood. These two decided that was not for them and ended up on campus across the hall from me. As you can imagine, when the pea soup started flying these two melted. 800 college students, for the most part, were hooting and hollering almost like it was the ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, midnight showing. But not these two guys. They were in agony. I was in this tiny little pod, surrounded by a sea of raucous college kids, trying not to be throttled by these two, hard core, catholic boys. I crossed my arms across my chest as these guys were gripping the armrests and not letting go. At the end, they were exhausted and practically crawled out of the theater. I remember every scene. 

The two guys recovered and none the worse for wear, as I recall. But...no no no.....they didn't want to talk about it. 

I consider THE EXORCIST 2nd only to ALIEN on my list of great horror films.

I await your next Q Peebs. 

• Like 1

This actor turned down two roles that became big Paul Newman, iconic roles.

He also turned down one that turned out to be one of Robert Redford's most notable performances.

Finally, he also declined a role that became a Richard Burton tour de force. 

Nevertheless, he still won two Oscars in other films.

In addition (here's a hint), he produced one of the aforementioned Paul Newman films that he declined the role in.

Name the actor and the 4 roles/movies he declined...and his two other films for which he won Oscars. Which Newman movie did he produce?

8 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

This actor turned down two roles that became big Paul Newman, iconic roles.

He also turned down one that turned out to be one of Robert Redford's most notable performances.

Finally, he also declined a role that became a Richard Burton tour de force. 

Nevertheless, he still won two Oscars in other films.

In addition (here's a hint), he produced one of the aforementioned Paul Newman films that he declined the role in.

Name the actor and the 4 roles/movies he declined...and his two other films for which he won Oscars. Which Newman movie did he produce?

OK, this is a tough one.  Is it Jack Lemmon? 

His production company Jalem Productions produced Cool Hand Luke.  Lemmon was offered the part but realized he wasn't right for it

He turned down the role in The Hustler

Newman offered the other part to Lemmon in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  However, Lemmon was busy making The Odd Couple

Offered the role of George in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

But not too tough for you, Peebs!

I was trying to find a quiz that didn't have too many hints littered about the various sites. I started with Lemmon and worked backwards. 

You must be a Jack Lemmon historian!

Your thread. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Magoo!   Whew! That was a challenging one.

Next:  One man born in the Bronx in 1936 became a famous singer turned Oscar nominated actor.  Another man was born in New Jersey in 1937 became a famous Oscar winning actor.  He received nominations in 1970's, 80's, 90's and 2000's. 

In their 30's each man learned a similar shocking personal revelation:   That the woman he thought was his sister was really his mother and the woman he grew up calling mother was really his grandmother.  

Can you name these two men?

And Bobby Darin is the singer.

And Jack Nicholson is the actor.

1 hour ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, Magoo!   Whew! That was a challenging one.

Next:  One man born in the Bronx in 1936 became a famous singer turned Oscar nominated actor.  Another man was born in New Jersey in 1937 became a famous Oscar winning actor.  He received nominations in 1970's, 80's, 90's and 2000's. 

In their 30's each man learned a similar shocking personal revelation:   That the woman he thought was his sister was really his mother and the woman he grew up calling mother was really his grandmother.  

Can you name these two men?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Next: 

The father of this famous classic Hollywood movie star instructed Fred Astaire in Spanish dancing.

When you identify the father, don't forget to also identify his famous child.

Princess, while I cannot find a specific source that names him, I'm going to guess that Eduardo Cansino had a dance influence on Astaire. Cansino was a classic flamenco dancer and, of course, the father of Rita Hayworth.

I know young Rita came from a Spanish background and she started in show business dancing with her family. I learned this while reading Glenn Ford's biography. He had a long friendship (ahem) with Hayworth. 

How's that?

17 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Magoo, that is the correct answer. Your thread.....

Thank you

One of the great comedic actors of the 20th century (over 50 yr career) made his last film appearance, albeit uncredited, in a film that featured numerous American politicians and media figures who portrayed themselves.

Can you name him and the film.

8 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Thank you

One of the great comedic actors of the 20th century (over 50 yr career) made his last film appearance, albeit uncredited, in a film that featured numerous American politicians and media figures who portrayed themselves.

Can you name him and the film.

Groucho Marx in The Candidate?

• Like 1

Thanks, Magoo! I better have gotten that one considering he's my profile picture.  😉

Next:  What horror movie received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song?  The lyrics are in Latin.

• Like 1