Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

4 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

The Omen?

Yes, that's it!  I thought that was an odd song to get a nomination although it is memorable.  It lost to Evergreen from A Star is Born.  Also nominated that year was Gonna Fly Now from Rocky

Well done, Terrence!  Your thread

I agree. That was a strange choice for Best Song.

It was not often that Barbara Stanwyck sang on the screen.  One example was a duet that she performed with a popular singer/actor early in his career.  who was he?

5 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

I agree. That was a strange choice for Best Song.

It was not often that Barbara Stanwyck sang on the screen.  One example was a duet that she performed with a popular singer/actor early in his career.  who was he?

Was it BANJO ON MY KNEE (1936) with Stanwyck singing "Where the River Goes By" with Joel McCrea?

While this actor had a relatively sparce film resume he earned a number of lead roles in some memorable movies. In addition, he was a Columbia Law School grad, a member of the College Football Hall of Fame and has a Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award.

Can you name him?

3 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

While this actor had a relatively sparce film resume he earned a number of lead roles in some memorable movies. In addition, he was a Columbia Law School grad, a member of the College Football Hall of Fame and has a Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award.

Can you name him?

Paul Robeson?  Played football at Rutgers, went to Columbia Law School, and in 1998 received Lifetime Achievement Award from the Grammys.

Paul Robeson Football Star | Rutgers University

3 hours ago, Peebs said:

Paul Robeson?  Played football at Rutgers, went to Columbia Law School, and in 1998 received Lifetime Achievement Award from the Grammys.

Paul Robeson Football Star | Rutgers University

Nice job. Your thread!

Thanks, Magoo!

Next:  Here's a quick one.

What word is conspicuously absent from the script of The Godfather?  Hint, the producers met with the Italian American Civil Rights League before shooting.

3 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

Mafia?

That's it.  Well done, Terrence!  Anthony Columbo, son of crime boss Joseph Columbo, persuaded the producers to omit any mention of the mafia or La Cosa Nostra. 

The thread is yours

14 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

Hint:  While this movie was not a success, she never looked better.  She wore a number of provocative costumes and died at the end.

I'm just taking a wild guess here:  The Prodigal (1955).  

The Prodigal (1955) - IMDb

Thanks, Terrence! Your extra clues certainly helped.  And I agree, Lana looked especially sexy perched up there.

Next:  This author was so disappointed with the 1934 adaptation version of her novel that she amended her will to prevent any of her other novels from being turned into movies.  The novel was adapted earlier for a 1924 silent movie starring Irene Rich.

Can you name the author and the 1934 movie?

3/30 Hint:  Starred Barbara Stanwyck & Frank Morgan

It has to be Willa Cather and the film from her novel, A LOST LADY

Cather wrote one of the all time great lines, "The heart of another is a dark forest, no matter how close it has been to one's own."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

It has to be Willa Cather and the film from her novel, A LOST LADY

Cather wrote one of the all time great lines, "The heart of another is a dark forest, no mater how close it has been to one's own."

Magoo for the win!  Bonus points for including the lovely quote. 

It's all yours!

• Like 1

This 1 time, Oscar winning actor made several films with children who turned out to be mostly reviled around Hollywood as being mean spirted and difficult to work with. One of his wives said that he had been invited to every upscale Beverly Hills home....once and upon his death they joked they had a hard time finding 8 pallbearers for his funeral.

Who is he?

For what film did he win his Oscar?

Who was the wife (he had more than one) that made the Beverly Hills joke. 

On 3/31/2022 at 1:56 PM, MrMagoo said:

This 1 time, Oscar winning actor made several films with children who turned out to be mostly reviled around Hollywood as being mean spirted and difficult to work with. One of his wives said that he had been invited to every upscale Beverly Hills home....once and upon his death they joked they had a hard time finding 8 pallbearers for his funeral.

Who is he?

For what film did he win his Oscar?

Who was the wife (he had more than one) that made the Beverly Hills joke. 

OK, I think I finally figured this out: Wallace Beery? 

Married to Gloria Swanson who made the joke.  Won for The Champ.

4 hours ago, Peebs said:

OK, I think I finally figured this out: Wallace Beery? 

Married to Gloria Swanson who made the joke.  Won for The Champ.

You got it. I did not know Beery was married to Swanson. Seems like an odd match. But I was not surprised that he was difficult.

Your board Peebs.

• Like 1

Thanks, Magoo! I agree, Swanson and Beery do seem like an odd pair.

Next:  This actress was offered the title role of Lolita.  Her parents were even offered a Renoir if they allowed her to take the part. The actress later said she wanted to do it.  However, she was under contract to another studio who did not like the idea of their young star as the controversial nymphet.  Can you name the actress?

2 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

Hayley Mills?

Yep.  Well done, Terrence!  I recently read about it in Hayley Mills' autobiography.  As you might guess, Walt Disney was not eager to have his Pollyanna play Lolita.  

Your thread