Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us


Kid Dabb
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

Sorry for the delay.  OK.  Let's try:

This is about an actress and her playwright/husband.  

Several of her Oscar  nominations were for movies written by him.  Name the two.

Is it Marsha Mason who was nominated for The Goodbye Girl, Only When I Laugh, and Chapter Two all written by husband Neil Simon?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Peebs has messaged me that I am welcome to come up with the next quiz. Thank you, Peebs.

Here it is.

This actor made his film debut....AND...his final film appearance in Best Picture Oscar winning films.

One film  had a Best Actor winner and the other a  Best Supporting Actor  winner. In addition, as is often the case, both films had multiple nominations and won in some other categories. 

The actor I am looking for was not an Oscar winner nor a nominee in any category. He had supporting roles in each.

Name the actor.

Name the 2 films.

Name the 2 Oscar winning actors in each.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Peebs has messaged me that I am welcome to come up with the next quiz. Thank you, Peebs.

Here it is.

This actor made his film debut....AND...his final film appearance in Best Picture Oscar winning films.

One film  had a Best Actor winner and the other a  Best Supporting Actor  winner. In addition, as is often the case, both films had multiple nominations and won in some other categories. 

The actor I am looking for was not an Oscar winner nor a nominee in any category. He had supporting roles in each.

Name the actor.

Name the 2 films.

Name the 2 Oscar winning actors in each.

 

 

Is it John Cazale?

The Godfather (1972) Marlon Brando for Best Actor

The Deer Hunter (1978) Christopher Walken for Best Supporting Actor

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Is it John Cazale?

The Godfather (1972) Marlon Brando for Best Actor

The Deer Hunter (1978) Christopher Walken for Best Supporting Actor

 

Yes it is....but no it's not who I was thinking of. 

I can't believe there is more than one actor who pulled that off.

It's your thread.

But....the actor I am looking for was someone who showed up in another of our quiz threads recently. One of the Oscar winning movies was a western. The other was a crime drama. 

Care to give it another shot? Go ahead with another quiz, if you like....but I'd still like to see someone get my quiz. 

Just for funsies.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrMagoo said:

Yes it is....but no it's not who I was thinking of. 

I can't believe there is more than one actor who pulled that off.

It's your thread.

But....the actor I am looking for was someone who showed up in another of our quiz threads recently. One of the Oscar winning movies was a western. The other was a crime drama. 

Care to give it another shot? Go ahead with another quiz, if you like....but I'd still like to see someone get my quiz. 

Just for funsies.  

OK, rats.  I'll have to give it some more thought.  

 

If someone else knows the actor Magoo is thinking of, please go ahead and post it.  This question is still in play.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Peebs said:

OK, rats.  I'll have to give it some more thought.  

 

If someone else knows the actor Magoo is thinking of, please go ahead and post it.  This question is still in play.  

I'm sure some of Magoo's Canadian friends will pop in there and answer that question. I haven't got a clue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hint....because I feel bad I'm tying up this thread.

This actor almost always played, thugs, thieves, crooks and pretty much any sort of unsavory character you can come up with. He looked the role.

He did a couple of comical takes of his normal roles in some parody, spoofs of horror/crime comedies. He retired from acting after that 2nd Oscar film to become quite an accomplished artist. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MrMagoo said:

Yes it is....but no it's not who I was thinking of. 

I can't believe there is more than one actor who pulled that off.

It's your thread.

But....the actor I am looking for was someone who showed up in another of our quiz threads recently. One of the Oscar winning movies was a western. The other was a crime drama. 

Care to give it another shot? Go ahead with another quiz, if you like....but I'd still like to see someone get my quiz. 

Just for funsies.  

Ok, how about Anthony James?

He was in Unforgiven (1992) Gene Hackman won Best Supporting Actor

In the Heat of the Night (1967). Rod Steiger won Best Actor 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Magoo!  The clue about one of the Best Picture winners being a Western certainly narrowed things down.

 

Next:  This is a more recent bit of trivia but I think it will work.

This Oscar nominated actor was in declining health when he was offered the part in a movie franchise aimed at kids.  He was going to pass on the offer but at the urging of his 11-year-old granddaughter he took the part.  He later said he didn't just want to be remembered for "being in those bloody films, and I'm afraid that's what's going to happen to me."   

Can you name this two time Oscar nominated actor and the role he took to make his granddaughter happy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Peebs said:

Thanks, Magoo!  The clue about one of the Best Picture winners being a Western certainly narrowed things down.

 

Next:  This is a more recent bit of trivia but I think it will work.

This Oscar nominated actor was in declining health when he was offered the part in a movie franchise aimed at kids.  He was going to pass on the offer but at the urging of his 11-year-old granddaughter he took the part.  He later said he didn't just want to be remembered for "being in those bloody films, and I'm afraid that's what's going to happen to me."   

Can you name this two time Oscar nominated actor and the role he took to make his granddaughter happy?

Just a quick Q. Was this a live action or animated franchise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

Just a quick Q. Was this a live action or animated franchise?

It was a live action movie franchise. 

It was a very popular movie series, based on a wildly popular series of kids' books.  The movie series is in heavy rotation on cable tv.  There are 7 movies in the series. 

This Irish actor did the first two movies in the series and passed away in 2002.  His family wanted his friend, Peter O'Toole to replace him.  O'Toole wasn't in the greatest shape either, so the franchise picked another actor.  These movies employ many familiar British actors with long illustrious careers but to a certain younger generation they will always be associated with these characters.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

So I guess it's not Michael Caine as he played Alfred 3 times in the Dark Knight series. I'll keep working. 

No, but a great guess.  This Irish actor was nominated twice for Best Actor for a 1963 movie and a 1990 movie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

How about Alec Guiness and his turns in the Star Wars series? Though he's English, not Irish. I'm just throwing stuff against the wall right now.

That's another great guess but not it.  Oh gosh, I didn't think it would be a tricky one.  I apologize!  Ok, one more try and then I'll just post the answer.

This magical movie series ran from 2001-2011.   In addition to this actor, the series featured Maggie Smith,  Alan Rickman, Kenneth Branagh, Ralph Fiennes. and Julie Christie.  The main stars were then unknown child actors.  

This actor was replaced by Michael Gambon.  Many people prefer the first actor in the role, however. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, MrMagoo said:

If not....Richard Harris for his Harry Potter performances? Gotta be him, right?

Yes, that's it!  Thanks for sticking with it.  Harris was reluctant to take the role of Dumbledore. His granddaughter was a fan of the books and urged him to take the role.  He completed two movies.  He was replaced by Michael Gambon but many fans preferred Harris' gentler take on the role.  I apologize if this was too modern.  With kids of a certain age, I have seen the movies many, many times.  They are kind of fun and unlike some other recent kids movies, highly watchable and well made. 

 

Whew!!  It's all yours Magoo. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you name the actress who had almost a 90 year career. She started in Vaudeville and performed with the likes of Al Jolson, Edger Bergen and Rudy Vallee among many others. She was most known for appearing as a regular on one of the 60's most popular sitcoms. Her husband was at one time the lead trumpeter on the Tonight Show. 

Take a guess.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...