Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Ricardo Montalban

4. Dolores Del Rio 

5. Gilbert Roland

7. Lupe Velez -The Mexican Spitfire - 

10. Alfonso Bedoya - he didnt want no stinking badges

If you have any favorite movies for the first three you can tell us about it.

(#10 is priceless!)

8 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Ricardo Montalban 

4. Dolores Del Rio 

5. Gilbert Roland

7. Lupe Velez -The Mexican Spitfire - 

10. Alfonso Bedoya - he didnt want no stinking badges

LOL  Thanks, who could ever forget that line that Bedoya says in  Treasure of Sierra Madre

2. Ricardo Montalban - Mystery Street, Neptune's Daughter

4. Dolores Del Rio - Ramona - watched this one years ago on TCM and really liked the film

5. Gilbert Roland - The Bad and The Beautiful

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Lupita Tovar - Her daughter was beautiful Susan Kohner, who played Sarah Jane in the 1950s version of Imitation of Life.  I've never seen Lupita's 1930's version of Dracula

Muchas gracias to Peebs and Lav's fine participation. 

Lav, You got most of them, so you are our next poster, Buen trabajo. Maybe you habla a little Spanish yourself?

This actor had a special relationship with his horse. He has told the story many times on tv shows, in a film he was starring in. the assistant  director asked him if his horse would be able to do a difficult scene, he said " I'll talk to him " . After the actor spoke to the horse for a few minutes, the horse did the scene in 1 take

Who was the actor, the horses name ( extra for the film ) ????

Just now, MilesArcher said:

I believe that James Stewart told that story to Johnny Carson.  The horse was named "Pie" and he rode Pie in quite a few westerns.   I think the movie was "The Far Country".   

It was The Far Country

I watched James Stewart on Johnny Carson many years ago telling that funny story about his beloved horse Pie. I knew you'd know this one Miles, good job, your thread.

Thanks, Lavender.  That story came to mind very quickly when I read your question.

Now, an actor appeared in a movie that featured Glenn Miller and his orchestra.  This same actor appeared in a movie about Glenn Miller.  Who was the actor and what were the names of the two movies?

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  That story came to mind very quickly when I read your question.

Now, an actor appeared in a movie that featured Glenn Miller and his orchestra.  This same actor appeared in a movie about Glenn Miller.  Who was the actor and what were the names of the two movies?

That would be Harry Morgan. The 2 films are Orchestra Wives and The Glenn Miller Story. I try to watch both when they're shown on TCM. I enjoy both very much.

53 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Jerry Mathers from "Leave It To Beaver"?

It could be Jerry Mathers and Leave It To Beaver  and it is. The show was still high in the ratings and could have continued  but Jerry Mathers wanted to go to high school

Good job. Our ping pong volley continues Miles. Your thread.😀

This question might not be for 98% of you, but a lot of people will know the answer.  Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins did not get along and it was well known.  Warner Bros. cast them in two movies together, "The Old Maid" and "Old Acquaintance", knowing that sparks might fly.  In "Old Acquaintance", Bette had a scene where she grabbed Miriam by the shoulders and shook her violently before throwing her into a chair.   Bette said she enjoyed that scene immensely.  What caused the bad blood between these two actresses?  Was it something from their past or was it something that happened on a movie set? 

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Only to her ego.

Only ... ?  For Mariam Hopkins (as well as a thousand other actors/actresses) would have preferred to have a broken neck bone.

Princess is correct, and thanks to Peebs for the clip.  Here is what IMDB says about Miriam Hopkins:

Had a long-running feud with Bette Davis that started before they even entered films, because of jealousy. They were both stage actresses with the same company where Hopkins had been the bigger star who first made it to Hollywood to become a star in films. They were both nominated for Best Actress Oscar in 1935, and Davis won and became the bigger star. She won her second Oscar for Jezebel (1938), which had been a flop on Broadway for Hopkins back in 1933. Davis had an affair with director Anatole Litvak, who at one point was married to Hopkins, although there have been conflicting reports whether the affair took place while he was still married to Hopkins. They competed with each other for screen time in the two films they acted together: The Old Maid (1939) and Old Acquaintance (1943). Long after Hopkins died, the only nice thing that Davis said about her was that she was a good actress, but otherwise she was a "real ****".

Also, when Miriam Hopkins showed up for shooting on the set of "The Old Maid", she wore a dress that was an exact copy of one that Bette had worn in "Jezebel" just to get under Bette's skin a little.

Princess, you're up next.

• Thanks 1

We'll stick with Miriam.

Before World War II Miriam appeared in a movie based on a play. The play was rather controversial, so for the sake of the code, the movie changed the plot a little bit.

In the post-war era Miriam appeared in another movie adaptation of that play. 

Considering  the age difference,she played different characters in each film.

Another difference was that the post-war adaptation was closer to the original plot of the play.

Hint#1--The same man directed both movies. 

After identifying both movies, also identify the director and the actress in the second movie--

who took Miriam's role from the first adaptation of the movie.

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

We'll stick with Miriam.

Before World War II Miriam appeared in a movie based on a play. The play was rather controversial, so for the sake of the code, the movie changed the plot a little bit.

In the post-war era Miriam appeared in another movie adaptation of that play. 

Considering  the age difference,she played different characters in each film.

Another difference was that the post-war adaptation was closer to the original plot of the play.

Hint#1--The same man directed both movies. 

After identifying both movies, also identify the director and the actress in the second movie--

who took Miriam's role from the first adaptation of the movie.

The film Miriam starred in was These Three directed by William Wyler

The remake also directed by Wyler was The Children's Hour. Shirley Maclaine played the role Miriam played in These Three ????

• Like 1