Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

32 minutes ago, Arsan404 said:

3. Barbara Stanwyck fought to keep William Holden in Golden Boy  ?

8. Katharine Hepburn championed Judy Holliday to star in Born Yesterday ?

You're correct about Katherine Hepburn being a mentor to Judy Holliday. But in this particular question we're asking about a person who mentored Katharine Hepburn.

Your #3 is correct.

On 8/1/2022 at 6:39 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Sometimes a beginner in show business is fortunate enough to be mentored or sponsored by an older and more experienced professional. You might be surprised who helped whom without which that performer may have never been a success.

Identify the mentor or sponsor. And remember a protege can become a mentor later in life.

1) Spencer Tracy

2) Louis Hayward

3) XWilliam Holden

X4) Andy Williams

5) The Beatles

6) Eleanor Powell

7) XVan Johnson

😎 Ocho)Katharine Hepburn

X9) Sally Forrest

10) Tony Bennett

X11) Leslie Caron

X12) Tippi Hedren

6 down and 6 to go

1.  Spencer Tracy - George M. Cohan

2.  Louis Hayward - Noel Coward

5.  The Beatles - George Martin, their record producer

6.  Eleanor Powell - John Bubbles

8.  Katherine Hepburn - George Cukor

10.  Tony Bennett - Mitch Miller, the head of Columbia Records

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

1.  Spencer Tracy - George M. Cohan

2.  Louis Hayward - Noel Coward

5.  The Beatles - George Martin, their record producer

6.  Eleanor Powell - John Bubbles

8.  Katherine Hepburn - George Cukor

10.  Tony Bennett - Mitch Miller, the head of Columbia Records

Well, we had 3 people participating this time--Thanks to Lav and Arsan.

Miles, you get the thread with half of the answers correct. And I know you will join me in wishing Tony Bennett a Happy 96th Birthday!

This week marked the 60th anniversary of the death of Marilyn Monroe.  What movie was she working on at the time of her death?

The movie went unfinished , but was later made with a new title and new stars.  What was the new title and who were the new stars?

14 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

This week marked the 60th anniversary of the death of Marilyn Monroe.  What movie was she working on at the time of her death?

The movie went unfinished , but was later made with a new title and new stars.  What was the new title and who were the new stars?

Miles, This concerns one of my favorite movies, so I'm going to let it ride to see if somebody else would like to do this. Because Marilyn is so popular, it might be a go.🤗

the movie is Somethings Gotta Give, a remake of My Favorite Wife, it was to star Dean Martin, in the Cary Grant role Nick Arden and Marilyn in the Irene Dunne role. It was eventually remade as Move Over, Darling starring Doris Day and James Garner. Personally I wish the one with Dino would of been able to be finished. 

You are absolutely right, Desilufan.  It's almost hard to believe that it's been sixty years since Marilyn passed away.  We see her movies so often on TCM.  Look for Marilyn Monroe day on Saturday, August 27th, on TCM.

Something's Got to Give (Short 1962) - IMDb 

Someone put together some of the footage that was shot and came up with this video that's on YouTube:

Nice work, Desilufan.  You're up next.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Dino personally, that's how I knew it and yes! I'm glad they have at least what was done still available, it just leaves me craving more though. 

next: 

James Mason and Christopher Plummer as you know starred together in Murder By Decree (1979), but they had appeared in 2 other movies (one really being a miniseries) together prior but didn't share any scenes, please name the movie and miniseries. 

13 hours ago, Desilufan said:

Next: 

James Mason and Christopher Plummer as you know starred together in Murder By Decree (1979), but they had appeared in 2 other movies (one really being a miniseries) together prior but didn't share any scenes, please name the movie and miniseries. 

I had to do a little research to find the mini-series:

The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) James Mason as Timonides and Christopher Plummer as Commodus

Jesus of Nazareth (1977) tv mini-series James Mason as Joseph of Arimathea and Christopher Plummer as Herod Antipas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellzapoppin said:

I had to do a little research to find the mini-series:

The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) James Mason as Timonides and Christopher Plummer as Commodus

Jesus of Nazareth (1977) tv mini-series James Mason as Joseph of Arimathea and Christopher Plummer as Herod Antipas

That's correct! your turn :)

• Like 1

Thank you, DesiluFan.

Next:  Inspired by Audrey Hepburn's  SUTS day.  How to Steal a Million stars Hepburn, Peter O'Toole, Hugh Griffith, and Eli Wallach. 

However, Wallach was not the first choice to play the rich pushy American who tries to win Hepburn 's hand.  An actor was fired for not showing up for his first day of filming.  He had been out drinking the night before and was too hungover to work.  Who was this heavy drinking  American actor who went on to win an Oscar for Best Actor a few years later?

Hint:  This actor was nominated twice for Best Supporting Actor in the 1960's.  When he won for Best Actor a few years after being fired from How to Steal a Million (1966), he was not present to accept.  The Oscar was returned to the Academy the next day at the actor's request.

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The first few minutes of the film takes place in the USA,  the rest of the film takes place in England

" Royal Wedding" was a film starring Fred Astaire. And his I love interest was Sarah Churchill, the daughter of the famous wartime Prime Minister of Great Britain, Winston Churchill.

What little dancing Sarah did wasn't bad. And the wedding in question was that of then Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.

10 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

" Royal Wedding" was a film starring Fred Astaire. And his I love interest was Sarah Churchill, the daughter of the famous wartime Prime Minister of Great Britain, Winston Churchill.

What little dancing Sarah did wasn't bad. And the wedding in question was that of then Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.

Yes, Sarah Churchill, Winston Churchill's daughter. About 10 or so years ago I read about this and always found it to be interesting info. Good work, Princess. Your thread.

• Thanks 1

In musicals Fred Astaire usually played a professional dancer because that's what he was. ☺️

But once in awhile he would dance his way around some fascinating professions for a tap dancer.

Can you identify his following musical movies by his  professions?

X1) Psychiatrist

2) Movie Producer

3) Fighter Pilot

4) Songwriter

X5) Fashion Photographer

6) College Trumpet Player

19 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

In musicals Fred Astaire usually played a professional dancer because that's what he was. ☺️

But once in awhile he would dance his way around some fascinating professions for a tap dancer.

X1) Psychiatrist

2) Movie Producer

3) Fighter Pilot

4) Songwriter

X5) Fashion Photographer

2 down 4 to go

On 8/13/2022 at 5:48 PM, Princess of Tap said:

X1) Psychiatrist

2) Movie Producer

3) Fighter Pilot

4) Songwriter

X5) Fashion Photographer

Hint#1-- Ginger Rogers is not in any of the remaining films.

Princess, I've been waiting several days for someone to finish answering the question, but no one has come forward, so here goes.

2) Movie Producer - Silk Stockings

3) Fighter Pilot - The Sky's The Limit

4) Songwriter - Three Little Words

6) College Trumpet Player - Second Chorus 

For Fred Astaire fans, it's an easy question.