Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

On 8/25/2022 at 12:55 AM, MilesArcher said:

This next one might be fun and fairly easy.  Here are photos of celebrities with geographical names.  That is, somewhere in their name is the name of a city, a state, or some other place.  Can you name them?

1.  image.jpeg.ebf26f547673c3a1da578e7b72d1046e.jpeg 

2.  image.jpeg.4b56b144230b89bac5e831c1023e9ac1.jpeg 

3.  Howdy Doody Star Buffalo Bob Smith Children's TV icon Vintage 8x10 Photo |  eBay 

4.  image.jpeg.4a0ef90c6b0ced62dee8b015498a0895.jpeg 

5.  image.jpeg.49c939a1028ea7eb0881568474fc2301.jpeg 

6.  Joe Montana Asked To Name NFL's GOAT After Tom Brady's Retirement - The  Spun: What's Trending In The Sports World Today 

7.  image.jpeg.c3b62814faac1d635131ffaacc4fd7fa.jpeg 

8.  image.jpeg.6a54b961852ae61f0d659c1dd5a1c033.jpeg 

9.  Cuba Gooding Jr. | Disney Wiki | Fandom 

10.  UA Alumna Savannah Guthrie Named Co-Anchor of 'Today' | University of  Arizona News 

11.  image.jpeg.22f4bf6868457fc13087c5f546231cb8.jpeg 

12.  TENNESSEE TUXEDO | Old cartoon characters, Old cartoons, Classic cartoon  characters 

I'm bumping up your photos, it's a pain to have to go back and forth to the previous page.  See my answer above the photos about Denver Pyle and Geer, Belgium

14 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  We have them all now except one.  That's #6.  Any sports fans here?  Who wore number 16 for the San Francisco 49ers and was an all star quarterback?  His last name was also the name of a state.  He played in the eighties and nineties.

image.jpeg.44fc555b9092441bb87c029eac4ce0fc.jpeg   Football great Joe Montana joins investment in legal marijuana operator

Joe Montana!

Yes, thank you Hellzapoppin.  I almost included John Denver, Paris Hilton, and Julie London, but that might be overdoing it a bit.  I hope you all enjoyed this question.  It's nice to see several folks participating.  Princess got the most, so she gets to go next. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Yes, thank you Hellzapoppin.  I almost included John Denver, Paris Hilton, and Julie London, but that might be overdoing it a bit.  I hope you all enjoyed this question.  It's nice to see several folks participating.  Princess got the most, so she gets to go next. 

Miles, Joe Montana ended his career playing with The Kansas City Chiefs. I thought you'd enjoy that little factoid.

I'll be back.....

Golden Age, Classic TV Siblings In Showbiz

*Interactive Quiz

Identify the siblings--

*And tell us if you have siblings--What kind and how many.

*Full disclosure--I have an older brother.

X1) 2 successful brothers--An independent producer and an international talent agent

2) 2 successful sisters--Both acted in Oscar-winning movies and married a lineup of very rich men.

X3) A brother and sister--He had an iconic game show on classic TV; she co-starred in an Oscar-winning movie.

X4) 2 brothers--One was one of the 20th century's most popular singers; the other had a swing orchestra on records, on TV and in the movies. 

X5) 2 sisters--One started in silents and worked steadily into the pre-codes; the other was a movie star, who became a classic TV sensation.

X6) 2 brothers--One was a successful child movie actor; the other was a successful young TV star in sitcoms.

X7) A sister and brother--She danced with her brother in an iconic musical. He went on to become a perennial classic TV star.

😎 Huit)X 2 brothers--One was an iconic star for a decade, starring in an Oscar-winning movie; while the other had an active movie career, plus being featured in several classic TV western series.

9) 2 Sisters--Both were successful child actresses on different classic TV series; and each one was featured in a different legendary 60s film.

10) 2 brothers--Both were songwriters who wrote their share of the Great American Songbook.

12 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I'll get it started.

1.  David O. Selznick and Myron Selznick

3.  Peter Marshall and Joann Dru

5.  Sally Blane and Loretta Young

7.  Vilma and Buddy Ebsen

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

4. Bing and Bob Crosby 

5. Constance and Joan Bennett, besides Sally Blane and Loretta Young

6. Daryl and Dwayne Hickman

8. Dana Andrews and Steve Forrest

You guys forgot to tell me about your siblings. 😀

6 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

My wonderful,  older, angel sister passed away. She was my best friend, beautiful, very intelligent, she skipped the 8th grade

She had cancer and passed when she was 53. I miss her everyday

She certainly was a cherished sister to you and is now a cherished memory.  You were very blessed to have her.

9.  Veronica and Angela Cartwright.  Veronica was on the "Daniel Boone" TV series as well as appearing in Hitchcock's movie "The Birds".  Angela was on "The Danny Thomas Show" and "Lost In Space".  She was also in the movie "The Sound Of Music".

10.  George and Ira Gershwin.  One might also make the case for Richard and Robert  Sherman.  

I have an older sister and a younger brother, neither of whom know anything about old movies, 

8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

9.  Veronica and Angela Cartwright.  Veronica was on the "Daniel Boone" TV series as well as appearing in Hitchcock's movie "The Birds".  Angela was on "The Danny Thomas Show" and "Lost In Space".  She was also in the movie "The Sound Of Music".

10.  George and Ira Gershwin.  One might also make the case for Richard and Robert  Sherman.  

I have an older sister and a younger brother, neither of whom know anything about old movies, 

I'll take #2  myself for the Gabor sisters.

Thanks to Lav for her contribution.

And Miles, you've done it again.

BTW--I met Robert Sherman once when he came to the office where I was working. He was truly a lovely man.

Miles, you've got the reins, giddy up--

Now it's all yours.....

Thanks. Princess.  I know Eva Gabor was in "Gigi", but what Oscar winning movie was Zsa  Zsa  Gabor in?  

Now, An actor won both a Tony award and an Oscar for the leading role  in a dramatic Broadway play and the movie version of it.  Can you name him?

Also, an actress won a supporting actress Oscar for a dramatic movie and a supporting, or featured, actress Tony award for the same role in a Broadway musical version of the movie.  She was not born in this country.  Can you name her?

35 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks. Princess.  I know Eva Gabor was in "Gigi", but what Oscar winning movie was* Zsa  Zsa  Gabor in?  

Now, An actor won both a Tony award and an Oscar for the leading role  in a dramatic Broadway play and the movie version of it.  Can you name him?

Also, an actress won a supporting actress Oscar for a dramatic movie and a supporting, or featured, actress Tony award for the same role in a Broadway musical version of the movie.  She was not born in this country.  Can you name her?

(*Zsa Zsa Gabor starred in "Moulin Rouge", 1952. It was nominated for  7 Oscars and won 2. She also won a Golden Globe for that movie. And the movie also won the Venice Film Festival prize of the Silver Lion.)

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks. Princess.  I know Eva Gabor was in "Gigi", but what Oscar winning movie was Zsa  Zsa  Gabor in?  

Jose Ferrer won the Best Actor Oscar for playing Cyrano in "Cyrano de Bergerac". He also won the Tony Award for the title role of Cyrano in the Broadway play.

Lila Kedrova won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in "Zorba the Greek". And she also won the Tony award for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical for the same role in the Broadway musical adaptation of the film.

Miles, BTW--The extremely talented Ferrer won the Best Actor Oscar for Cyrano in 1950, only to come back in 1952 to be Oscar- nominated for Best Actor again in John Huston's "Moulin Rouge".

You are correct, Princess.  By the way, I knew that Zsa Zsa was in "Moulin Rouge".  That's what made me think of Jose Ferrer.  However, I didn't know if your question about two sisters in Oscar winning movies was for Best Picture Oscars or possibly Oscars in other categories.  That's why I asked the question.  

Excellent answer Princess.  I'm sure that you and everyone else knows that Jose Ferrer was the first actor to win a Tony award.  Here are Jose and Lila.

image.jpeg.42ddde24b59bb50d6a98d2b14e7a22f2.jpeg    Zorba the Greek (1964)  

Princess, the thread is yours.

• Thanks 1

Where or how  were they discovered? Folklore abounds with stories about how movie stars got discovered. Can you identify the following stars?

X1) Sitting at the counter of Schwabs Drugstore.

X2) Spotted by a classic movie star from a picture in a hotel reception area.

X3) Spotted by a Hollywood studio executive in a Broadway musical--This was an understudy who was not even scheduled to perform that evening.

X4) Discovered for pictures by replacing noted German opera singer Lotte Lehmann at a sold- out LA concert.

5) Spotted as a child extra in a movie--The director was impressed with her beautiful eyes and natural charisma.

X6) Spotted as an extra in a British-Hollywood studio, then given a role in a "B" movie-- The American overseas studio head convinced the Hollywood boss to hire the performer for the starring role in a major picture.

X7) Spotted by a Hollywood director and his wife in a commercial spot while they were watching the "Today" show.

2. Janet Leigh, Norma Shearer saw Janet's photo at Janet's father ski lodge

3. Shirley Maclaine, Hal Wallis discovered Shirley while she went on for Carol Haney in The Pajama Game

7. Tippi Hedren, Alfred AND Alma saw her on the Today show

Lana said she was not discovered at Schwabs. I could answer another but hopefully someone else will play

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Janet Leigh, Norma Shearer saw Janet's photo at Janet's father ski lodge

3. Shirley Maclaine, Hal Wallis discovered Shirley while she went on for Carol Haney in The Pajama Game

7. Tippi Hedren, Alfred AND Alma saw her on the Today show

Lana said she was not discovered at Schwabs. I could answer another but hopefully someone else will play

Lav, Hollywood Folklore says that Lana was discovered as Schwabs. That was an introductory freebie. You can have that one. 

We still need answers for 4,5 & 6.

Hints-- 

#4) Well known singer who usually appeared in films with another singer.

#5) The director started the child's career--a career that took the child through adulthood.

#6) This performer came to Hollywood and starred in that major motion picture, becoming a movie star overnight.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings