Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

46 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I'll take a couple of guesses. 

Could #4 be Jeannette MacDonald?

Could #6 be Vivien Leigh?

Miles, you're HOT on the trail with #4--but Jeanette was a Broadway star before she came to Hollywood.

#6--Vivien Leigh was also an established star on the London stage and in British films before gwtw.

Hint#6--This performer was a virtual unknown. The role was to go to an established British star, who had to bow out because of health issues. The performer became one of the most iconic movie stars of all time. The film was a big movie, with a big budget and it's still known today, even by the public.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:29 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Where or how  were they discovered? Folklore abounds with stories about how movie stars got discovered. Can you identify the following stars?

X1) Sitting at the counter of Schwabs Drugstore.

X2) Spotted by a classic movie star from a picture in a hotel reception area.

X3) Spotted by a Hollywood studio executive in a Broadway musical--This was an understudy who was not even scheduled to perform that evening.

X4) Discovered for pictures by replacing noted German opera singer Lotte Lehmann at a sold- out LA concert.

5) Spotted as a child extra in a movie--The director was impressed with her beautiful eyes and natural charisma.

X6) Spotted as an extra in a British-Hollywood studio, then given a role in a "B" movie-- The American overseas studio head convinced the Hollywood boss to hire the performer for the starring role in a major picture.

X7) Spotted by a Hollywood director and his wife in a commercial spot while they were watching the "Today" show.

On 9/2/2022 at 3:14 PM, Princess of Tap said:

We still need answers for 4,5 & 6.

Hints-- 

#4) Well known singer who usually appeared in films with another singer.

#5) The director started the child's career--a career that took the child through adulthood.

#6) This performer came to Hollywood and starred in that major motion picture, becoming a movie star overnight.

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Only #5 is left--

This performer was a child star, a teenage star and an adult star. Discovered by a director who jump started the child's career.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

5. I'll guess it's Elizabeth Taylor because of the eye clue and she was a child. teenage and adult star ?

Lav, I've conveniently included the original question and all the hints on one page.

I don't believe you had a chance to look at all of that.

So the answer is not Elizabeth Taylor.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I just remembered,  Natalie began as an extra

Yup--Irving Pichel spotted Natalie Wood when she was an extra at the age of four in "The Moon Is Down" in 1943. That same year he gave her a very brief spot as a kid who drops an ice cream cone in "Happy Land". In 1946 he gave her a debut role in "Tomorrow Is Forever",  a movie starring Claudette Colbert and Orson Welles. In the same year he put her in a Barbara Stanwyck movie, "The Bride Wore Boots, as the star's daughter. Irving Pichel really gave Nat her career.

Lav, thanks for coming in there and finishing up for us. You got the most right so the thread is yours.

Faus is the runner up, so if you pass he's next up.

Thanks Princess. I remembered seeing a clip about Natalie and seeing her when she was very little dropping her ice cream cone and that sparked remembering it was Natalie you were asking about.

Next

This legendary actresses first dramatic role in films was not a good experience for her. She wrote in her autobiography that the director was horrible to her. He was rude to her everyday on the set and slapped her face in front of the crew and cast. The actress has said the actor and actress who were the leads protected her and coached her. The lead Oscar winning actress  ( for other films ) called her daughter for the rest of their lives, they played mother and daughter in this 1950's film.

Who was the legendary actress the director slapped, who were the actor and actress who were the leads in the film, who was the director and what was the film ?????

1 hour ago, Fausterlitz said:

I believe that was Debbie Reynolds, who was slapped by director Richard Brooks during the making of The Catered Affair (1956).  Bette Davis and Ernest Borgnine played her mother and father.

Yes, Debbie Reynolds and The Cateted Affair. Bette and Debbie according to Debbie became great friends and Bette always called her daughter after the film was completed. 

Reading about Debbie's experience with Richsrd Brooks was a disappoint for me . Elmer Gantry, a film he directed is a favorite of mine. He did have a bad reputation for bring hot tempered and he was not well liked. The assistant director had to pull him away from Debbie because after that slap he went for a 2nd round of abuse towards her, but the asst director got there in time. Debbie was very grateful to Bette and Ernest Borgnine for also coming to her aid during filming. 

Good job Fausterlitz, your thread  :)

Thanks, Lavender Blue!  Debbie Reynolds also received a Best Supporting Actress award from the National Board of Review for that performance...so hopefully nobody interpreted her win as an implied endorsement of Richard Brooks' "methods." 

Next:

She was born in Kentucky, married to a dentist (her only husband) for 38 years, and had a notably scandal-free career.  Lou Gehrig said he would want her as his screen partner if he ever became an actor.  Her close friend Loretta Young was the only celebrity allowed at her funeral.  Regarding her failure to ever win an Academy Award despite multiple nominations, she remarked, "I don't mind at all -- Greta Garbo never got an Oscar either, [and} she's a living legend."

Who is she?

On 9/5/2022 at 11:58 AM, Fausterlitz said:

Thanks, Lavender Blue!  Debbie Reynolds also received a Best Supporting Actress award from the National Board of Review for that performance...so hopefully nobody interpreted her win as an implied endorsement of Richard Brooks' "methods." 

Next:

She was born in Kentucky, married to a dentist (her only husband) for 38 years, and had a notably scandal-free career.  Lou Gehrig said he would want her as his screen partner if he ever became an actor.  Her close friend Loretta Young was the only celebrity allowed at her funeral.  Regarding her failure to ever win an Academy Award despite multiple nominations, she remarked, "I don't mind at all -- Greta Garbo never got an Oscar either, [and} she's a living legend."

Who is she?

Irene Dunne ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

They had a motorcycle gang, or club.  Other members included Keenan Wynn, and directors Howard Hawks and Victor Fleming.  They would ride their motorcycles out in the Mojave Desert on weekends.

Yes. I used to love to look at the macho pictures of those guys--all dusty and dirty having a good time.

Miles, have you ever had a motorcycle or even a motor scooter?

I had a Schwinn bicycle with 3 speeds--that's as much as I could handle.☺️

Miles, let's see how you handle the next question.

Princess, you dubbed me "The Cowboy From Connecticut", so I would spoil my image if I rode motorcycles.  No, I have never had a motorcycle.  

Now, here's a fact that you all may not know.  The stars of the original "King Kong" were Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong.  When they were filming "King Kong" they were also filming another movie using some of the same jungle sets.   Can you name that other movie?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings