Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

On 9/22/2022 at 8:11 PM, Evette said:

I read once that Gloria Grahame was his favorite actress, however, she did not have an Oscar nomination in the late 1950's. 

Is the actress Doris Day?

Evette, it's been over a week, either post one or leave the thread open so we can continue the thread

Thanks Miles

Next

This father and son shared the same name.  The father was famous for a career other than acting , however, he became an actor after retiring from his successful career.

He appeared in some films and guest appearances on tv shows . Some of the actors he appeared in films with were  Myrna Loy, Abbott and Costello, Bing Crosby and Bogart.

The son had a co-starring role on a  long running hit tv show that's still shown in re-runs. When the show ended, he was typecast so he turned to writing, producing and directing 

Who were the father and son, what career did dad have before his acting career, what were some of his films, what tv show was the son known for?????????

6 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Miles

Next

This father and son shared the same name.  The father was famous for a career other than acting , however, he became an actor after retiring from his successful career.

He appeared in some films and guest appearances on tv shows . Some of the actors he appeared in films with were  Myrna Loy, Abbott and Costello, Bing Crosby and Bogart.

The son had a co-starring role on a  long running hit tv show that's still shown in re-runs. When the show ended, he was typecast so he turned to writing, producing and directing 

Who were the father and son, what career did dad have before his acting career, what were some of his films, what tv show was the son known for?????????

By the time of my generation we didn't know who Max Baer was. I'd heard of Joe Louis, "The Brown Bomber", but Max Baer was only the father of Jethro Bodine for me.

Max Baer Jr became one of the biggest sitcom icons of my generation--Co starring in the top rated sitcom "The Beverly Hillbillies" for years.

His father Max Baer was heavyweight champion for only one year, but parleyed that title into somewhat of a film career. He appeared in "The Prizefighter and The Lady", co-starring with Myrna Loy and even was in Humphrey Bogart's last film, "The Harder They Fall".

Max Jr had a hard time getting away from the typecasting of Jethro, so he had to buy his own properties and produce in order to work. He wrote produced and starred in " Macon County Line" and also produced the movie "Ode to Billy Joe".

I don't think it has ever really been appreciated enough about how great his comedic performance was in "The Beverly Hillbillies" and how much talent he had.

All correct Princess, it's Max Baer Sr. and Max Baer Jr. There are 2 parks in California named for Max Baer Sr. And a charity The Max Baer Heart Fund was set up in his memory. Millions of dollars have been donated to universities, medical centers and hospitals in the USA and Canada in Max Baer Sr's name for heart research and education. A legacy I think far more important than any film career could be.

I agree Max Baer Jr. was hilarious as Jethro in the Beverly Hillbillies. He's ver talented.

Good work Princess, your thread.

• Thanks 1

"Kansas City Star, That's What I Are"

Believe it or not, some real  movie stars come from the *Greater Kansas City Area. 

You just might be surprised who they are.

(*Remember it's in two states-- Kansas and Missouri & different named townships)

1) This movie star died before her time and was immortalized in several movies. Hint: Her hair color was her trademark.

2) This movie star won an Oscar and appeared in dramas and comedies. But she's best known as a dancing partner. 

3) This TV star started out in movies but became a big star in a private eye series. Hint: The theme song was also a big hit.

4) This actor was not beloved in Hollywood or by his studio. But he was a big star anyway. His gruff demeanor was often softened by paring him with an affectionate child star or a beloved elderly actress. 

5) This actor was a band leader and in the early talkies. He was not a big star, but he was married to one of the biggest stars in silent pictures--some might say the biggest star. 

On 10/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, _Broadway_ said:

1. Jean Harlow

2. Ginger Rogers ? (Born in Independence, MO)

On 10/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

4. Wallace Berry

5. Buddy Rogers 

Guys--We're finished up here and we've got a tie. You two can decide what you want to do.

Thanks loads for playing! 🤗🤗🤗

21 hours ago, Desilufan said:

who ended up playing Sir Charles Litton aka the Phantom in The Return of the Pink Panther due to David Niven not being available to play the role? 

I reworded it so it sounds more simple, I'll give a hint in a little bit if needed.