Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

Next:

This classic comedy movie from the '60s was based on a classic TV sitcom from the '60s. It had the same title as the TV show and starred the same cast as the TV show with one beautiful addition--an actress who was the wife of a famous pop singer.

Hint--She also was a singing recording artist. 

What was the name of the sitcom/movie and the singing actress?

The movie was "McHale's Navy", a movie version of the TV series with the same TV cast.  The singer/actress was Claudine Longet, who was the wife of singer Andy Williams at the time.

Claudine Longet - IMDb 

Some years later, after she and Andy were divorced, she was involved in a scandal that involved her boyfriend at the time.  I'll let Princess tell that story.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

The movie was "McHale's Navy", a movie version of the TV series with the same TV cast.  The singer/actress was Claudine Longet, who was the wife of singer Andy Williams at the time.

Claudine Longet - IMDb 

Some years later, after she and Andy were divorced, she was involved in a scandal that involved her boyfriend at the time.  I'll let Princess tell that story.

Miles, I think everybody has heard that story. It effectively ended the Andy Williams family Christmas specials on TV.

But there's often a silver lining to any sadness. So Andy took his Christmas show on the road, while he was building his theater in Branson.

And I got to see him twice in Kansas City. The recordings never captured truly how great his voice was.

Miles, time for another one of your tough questions.

Vas-y!

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I'll bet a lot of boomers know this one:

A major TV sitcom character had a mother-in-law who always called him "Mickey".  It was not his name and he always resented it.  Who was that character?

I Love Desi. That's what I would have called the show. Mickey is what Lucy Ricardo's mother,Mrs McGillicuddy, called Ricky in

"I Love Lucy".

Next: 

These two comedians had one thing in common besides their comic singing-- 

They both included stories about their wives in their comedy. Even though the wives never appeared in the act,  their names became as well known as those of their famous husbands.

One comedian started in vaudeville and became a big Broadway star. Only to repeat that same level of stardom in the movies and on television.

The second comedian started on radio and also became a big TV star. He was in a few films,  but never reached the film stardom of the first comedian. 

When you identify the two comedians and their wives, also list some films and/or TV credits by the two comedians.

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Next: 

They both included stories about their wives in their comedy. Even though the wives never appeared in the act,  their names became as well known as those of their famous husbands.

One comedian started in vaudeville and became a big Broadway star. Only to repeat that same level of stardom in the movies and on television.

The second comedian started on radio and also became a big TV star. He was in a few films,  but never reached the film stardom of the first comedian. 

When you identify the two comedians and their wives, also list some films and/or TV credits by the two comedians.

Hint: Both comedians hosted music/ variety shows.

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Princess, could we have another clue please?

One started his career in vaudeville before World War I and continued on Broadway after World War I.

The second one started his career on radio before World War II.  And then became a classic TV sensation of the 1950s. 

They both were famous for singing  songs in their acts, but they were no competition for either Sinatra or Crosby. 😂 

On 10/15/2022 at 12:17 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Next: 

On 10/15/2022 at 10:03 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint: Both comedians hosted music/ variety shows.

On 10/18/2022 at 4:56 PM, Princess of Tap said:

One started his career in vaudeville before World War I and continued on Broadway after World War I.

The second one started his career on radio before World War II.  And then became a classic TV sensation of the 1950s. 

They both were famous for singing  songs in their acts, but they were no competition for either Sinatra or Crosby. 😂 

Hint#3--Both comedians had something in their appearance that was uniquely their trademark--

the first one had to do with his eyes, and the  second one had to do with his hair.

I think that one of them was Eddie Cantor, who often spoke about his wife, Ida.  He was known as "Old Banjo Eyes".

The other, I think, is George Gobel, who's haircut was a buzz cut.  He always referred to his wife as "Spooky Old Alice".

In the early and mid-1950's, Eddie Cantor hosted "The Colgate Comedy Hour" and the "The Eddie Cantor Comedy Theater" on TV.  I don't recall ever seeing those shows, but some people have credited him with discovering Eddie Fisher.

George Gobel was in a couple of movies, including "The Birds And The Bees", (a remake of "The Lady Eve"),  and "I Married A Woman" with British bombshell Diana Dors.    On TV he had his own show, "The George Gobel Show" with musical guest stars and sketch comedy with his wife Alice being played by actress Jeff Donnell.

Eddie Cantor - photos and quotes - Bizarre Los Angeles       image.jpeg.8f440c4983874e9237dad5f5128e0086.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I think that one of them was Eddie Cantor, who often spoke about his wife, Ida.  He was known as "Old Banjo Eyes".

The other, I think, is George Gobel, who's haircut was a buzz cut.  He always referred to his wife as "Spooky Old Alice".

In the early and mid-1950's, Eddie Cantor hosted "The Colgate Comedy Hour" and the "The Eddie Cantor Comedy Theater" on TV.  I don't recall ever seeing those shows, but some people have credited him with discovering Eddie Fisher.

George Gobel was in a couple of movies, including "The Birds And The Bees", (a remake of "The Lady Eve"),  and "I Married A Woman" with British bombshell Diana Dors.    On TV he had his own show, "The George Gobel Show" with musical guest stars and sketch comedy with his wife Alice being played by actress Jeff Donnell.

Eddie Cantor - photos and quotes - Bizarre Los Angeles       image.jpeg.8f440c4983874e9237dad5f5128e0086.jpeg

Miles, to show you how much times have changed--in 1962 when Ida, Eddie Cantor's wife, died the story was on the front page of our local newspaper.

Yeah, these two guys made a fortune out of making jokes about their wives.

Also, I think this show was before our time. 🙄

But we watched George Gobel all the time. 

And congratulations on finding most of these threads, I tried to get them all together, but this website looks like a rummage sale--or I should say a bargain basement going out of business sale.

And Miles, you're on next to closing.

Princess, this is trivia for the other 98%.  I doubt that more than a few would have gotten that last question because most folks don't want to do a lot of research.  Hopefully, this next one will be a little easier.

He was an actor in westerns, both on TV and the big screen, including one movie regarded as a classic western.  He was also a successful singer of mostly country/western songs.  However, in the late fifties he had a big hit with a novelty tune that many still remember today.  He was a regular on a long running western TV series with a future major movie star.  That TV series is still shown today on some retro channels,  He also appeared on "Hee Haw" occasionally.  Do you know him?

58 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Princess, this is trivia for the other 98%.  I doubt that more than a few would have gotten that last question because most folks don't want to do a lot of research.  Hopefully, this next one will be a little easier.

He was an actor in westerns, both on TV and the big screen, including one movie regarded as a classic western.  He was also a successful singer of mostly country/western songs.  However, in the late fifties he had a big hit with a novelty tune that many still remember today.  He was a regular on a long running western TV series with a future major movie star.  That TV series is still shown today on some retro channels,  He also appeared on "Hee Haw" occasionally.  Do you know him?

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

Miles, if this is a 98% question, then I must be in that one 2%.

Because I don't really know this person at all, and I didn't watch "Rawhide". But I'll just take a guess, cuz he's not a familiar household name.

Sheb Wooley?

I don't know if I spelled it right cuz I don't really know him.

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Miles, if this is a 98% question, then I must be in that one 2%.

Because I don't really know this person at all, and I didn't watch "Rawhide". But I'll just take a guess, cuz he's not a familiar household name.

Sheb Wooley?

Princess, you got him alright.  Sheb  Wooley wrote and sang the hit song "The Purple People Eater".  He was indeed a regular on "Rawhide" and he was one of the bad guys in "High Noon".  "Rawhide" is on at least one of the retro channels every weekday.  I get it on FETV.  

Good job, Princess.  If there's one thing I want to accomplish before they pull the plug on these message boards, it's to get you to watch more old westerns.  I think you'd find them quite entertaining.  For now, you get to post the next question.

36 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Princess, you got him alright.  Sheb  Wooley wrote and sang the hit song "The Purple People Eater".  He was indeed a regular on "Rawhide" and he was one of the bad guys in "High Noon".  "Rawhide" is on at least one of the retro channels every weekday.  I get it on FETV.  

Good job, Princess.  If there's one thing I want to accomplish before they pull the plug on these message boards, it's to get you to watch more old westerns.  I think you'd find them quite entertaining.  For now, you get to post the next question.

Miles, I'll make a deal with you. I'll watch a Randolph Scott Western, for every Lana Turner soap you watch. You might find Lana and Jean Louis quite entertaining.

(And it's no secret that I like Joel McCrea too.☺️)

This Golden Era actress is not considered to be a movie star and only made a little more than a dozen films. But a handful of those films have become legendary.

She was a great actress who preferred the stage.

She's also remembered for her  marital history-- 

She was the wife of one movie star, an acclaimed Oscar- winning actor. 

She was the wife of one Oscar- winning Golden Era director.

And she was the wife of one of the top Golden Era Hollywood agents. 

But fans remember her best, as the long lost love of one of Hollywood's most beloved classic movie stars, who also was an acclaimed Oscar-winning actor.

Hint: Ironically the last actor cited was the best friend of one of her husbands. A friendship that is well-known by fans.

When you identify this actress and the men cited above, also give some of her credits with the director/husband, the actor/husband and the long lost love who never became her husband.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

This Golden Era actress is not considered to be a movie star and only made a little more than a dozen films. But a handful of those films have become legendary.

She was a great actress who preferred the stage.

She's also remembered for her  marital history-- 

She was the wife of one movie star, an acclaimed Oscar- winning actor. 

She was the wife of one Oscar- winning Golden Era director.

And she was the wife of one of the top Golden Era Hollywood agents. 

But fans remember her best, as the long lost love of one of Hollywood's most beloved classic movie stars, who also was an acclaimed Oscar-winning actor.

Hint: Ironically the last actor cited was the best friend of one of her husbands. A friendship that is well-known by fans.

When you identify this actress and the men cited above, also give some of her credits with the director/husband, the actor/husband and the long lost love who never became her husband.

Margaret Sullavan . .She was married to Henry Fonda, Howard Hawks and Leland Hayward.  Jimmy Stewart was her long lost love and Jimmy and Henry Fonda were best friends ????????

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings