Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trivia for the other 98% of us

Kid Dabb

23 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Margaret Sullavan . .She was married to Henry Fonda, Howard Hawks and Leland Hayward.  Jimmy Stewart was her long lost love and Jimmy and Henry Fonda were best friends ????????

Yes, Maggie Sullivan was something else.

Lav, it's going to be hard to say goodbye to you, but I have to tell you that you have really enhanced my experience here on this website. 

So, here you are--you're up next....

On 10/27/2022 at 9:42 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Yes, Maggie Sullivan was something else.

Lav, it's going to be hard to say goodbye to you, but I have to tell you that you have really enhanced my experience here on this website. 

So, here you are--you're up next....

Thank you Princess,  I feel the same way about you and Miles and some others on the bds. Maybe we'll be able to become members on another site and be able to keep in touch

Next

This film and tv actor became close friends with J. Edgar Hoover. Who was he and what tv shows made him a household name in the classic time period, extra points to give the title of one of his films.               

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thank you Princess,  I feel the same way about you and Miles and some others on the bds. Maybe we'll be able to become members on another site and be able to keep in touch

Next

This film and tv actor became close friends with J. Edgar Hoover. Who was he and what tv shows made him a household name in the classic time period, extra points to give the title of one of his films.               

My guess would be Efrem Zimbalist Jr because he starred in "The FBI" on TV. I also liked him in the movie "By Love Possessed". But my favorite show for him was the series that made him a star, "77 Sunset Strip".

13 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

My guess would be Efrem Zimbalist Jr because he starred in "The FBI" on TV. I also liked him in the movie "By Love Possessed". But my favorite show for him was the series that made him a star, "77 Sunset Strip".

Yes,  Efraim Zimbalist Jr. is correct. Good work Princess, your thread.

• Thanks 1

Film a' Clef/Thinly -Veiled Movie Plots

How many of these classic movies can you identify as real scandals or unfortunate events? The names, details and/or places were changed for the movie. Although some studios were sued anyway.

The description will be of the movie, and you will be asked to supply the name of that movie and identify the scandal or unfortunate situation that was thinly-veiled.

X1) A teenager with divorced parents is accused of stabbing her mother's young lover. 

X2) A young woman is pursued by the heir to a fortune in his private plane. She eventually gives in and marries him. After a night of drinking in his mansion, the heir dies from a gunshot wound. Only his wife, sister and a childhood friend are present in the mansion. 

3) In the 1920s a talented  young female singer in vaudeville is discovered by a Broadway minstrel singer. She reaches the heights of Broadway only to lose her con man- husband to a prison sentence. 

4) This movie star, song and dance man's career fizzles out in the post World War II era. In a desperate attempt to revitalize it, he returns to Broadway in a musical. 

X5) This attractive rising young singer gives up a very promising career to marry another singer. Only to fall into acute alcoholism when her role as wife and mother is put in jeopardy by the husband's suspected affair, as he is becoming a big star. 

X6) This newspaper publisher becomes richer and richer as he moves further away from his wife, and becomes obsessed with a young woman. This affair ends his political ambitions. 

X7) This older sister is very ambitious for her younger sister. Living in dire conditions, the older one convinces her younger sister to marry a song and dance man to advance herself. The younger sister gets into the act, but later succeeds big time on her own-- leading to tragedy for her husband. 

😎 XOcho) Two young men murder a former prep school classmate as an intellectual exercise in committing the perfect murder.

9)X A young high school biology teacher in Tennessee is arrested for breaking an anti-evolution law by teaching Darwin's theory of evolution. The trial becomes a national issue with famous lawyers on both sides. 

10) XA successful nationally syndicated newspaper columnist manipulates people to his own sadistic advantage--the victims include his own sister.

6. Citizen Kane - based on Randolph Hearst and Marion Davies

7. The Hard Way - based on  Ginger Rogers and her mother Leila Rogers who was a stage mother type

8. Compulsion - Leopold,Lowe case

9. Inherit The Wind - Scopes trial 

10. Sweet Smell of Success-   JJ ( Burt Lancaster character) based on Walter Winchell 

leaving the rest open for others to answer,  good question

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 3:18 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Film a' Clef/Thinly -Veiled Movie Plots

How many of these classic movies can you identify as real scandals or unfortunate events? The names, details and/or places were changed for the movie. Although some studios were sued anyway.

The description will be of the movie, and you will be asked to supply the name of that movie and identify the scandal or unfortunate situation that was thinly-veiled.

1) A teenager with divorced parents is accused of stabbing her mother's young lover. 

2) A young woman is pursued by the heir to a fortune in his private plane. She eventually gives in and marries him. After a night of drinking in his mansion, the heir dies from a gunshot wound. Only his wife, sister and a childhood friend are present in the mansion. 

3) In the 1920s a talented  young female singer in vaudeville is discovered by a Broadway minstrel singer. She reaches the heights of Broadway only to lose her con man- husband to a prison sentence. 

4) This movie star, song and dance man's career fizzles out in the post World War II era. In a desperate attempt to revitalize it, he returns to Broadway in a musical. 

5) This attractive rising young singer gives up a very promising career to marry another singer. Only to fall into acute alcoholism when her role as wife and mother is put in jeopardy by the husband's suspected affair, as he is becoming a big star. 

6) This newspaper publisher becomes richer and richer as he moves further away from his wife, and becomes obsessed with a young woman. This affair ends his political ambitions. 

7) This older sister is very ambitious for her younger sister. Living in dire conditions, the older one convinces her younger sister to marry a song and dance man to advance herself. The younger sister gets into the act, but later succeeds big time on her own-- leading to tragedy for her husband. 

😎 Ocho) Two young men murder a former prep school classmate as an intellectual exercise in committing the perfect murder.

9) A young high school biology teacher in Tennessee is arrested for breaking an anti-evolution law by teaching Darwin's theory of evolution. The trial becomes a national issue with famous lawyers on both sides. 

10) A successful nationally syndicated newspaper columnist manipulates people to his own sadistic advantage--the victims include his own sister.

#'s 1-5 are still up for grabs.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Princess, it's been more than a week.  I think we either need hints or answers to end this question.  #4 sound like "The Band Wagon".  Could it be based on the fact that Fred Astaire was contemplating retirement at the time?

Fred Astaire did retire in the 1940s, but made a comeback in "Easter Parade". 

#3 is left. Ironically it is based on a true story--a movie that we very, very recently had in one of our other threads, which you answered, about a female singing star.

Well, I guess that #3 is "Funny Girl" with Barbra Streisand as Fanny Brice.   Actually, "Rose Of Washington Square" from 1939 which starred Alice Faye, Tyrone Power, and Al Jolson came very close to mirroring the life of Fanny Brice.  So close, in fact, that Fanny Brice sued 20th Century Fox for invasion of privacy.  She received a substantial out of court settlement.

5 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Well, I guess that #3 is "Funny Girl" with Barbra Streisand as Fanny Brice.   Actually, "Rose Of Washington Square" from 1939 which starred Alice Faye, Tyrone Power, and Al Jolson came very close to mirroring the life of Fanny Brice.  So close, in fact, that Fanny Brice sued 20th Century Fox for invasion of privacy.  She received a substantial out of court settlement.

Yeah, she sued and got some money, but Nicky Arnstein sure as heck was no Tyrone Power or Omar Sharif, for that matter.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:29 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

2. Written on the Wind  - based on Libby Holman the singer and Zachary Smith Reynolds the tobacco  heir who died mysteriously in the mansion

5. Smash Up Story of a Woman - based on Bing Crosby and Dixie Lee

Miles, thanks for hanging in there.

Lav, you won this one and you're up if you've got the time.

This one is a little different and there are enough so it might be fun if more participated. 

Many movie stars became tv stars as their movie careers faded. Name at least 30 movie stars who became regulars on classic 1950-1970's tv shows and their tv shows. Some tv  shows will have more than 1 movie star in the cast.

Princess named twenty.  Here are some more that come to mind.  They were all movie stars before their TV shows started.

21)  The Doris Day Show

22)  The Bing Crosby Show

23)  The Dennis O'Keefe Show

24)  The Danny Thomas Show

25)  The Ann Sothern Show

26)  The Jean Arthur Show

27)  The Gale Storm Show

28)  The Debbie Reynolds Show

29)  The Donna Reed Show

30)  The Tab Hunter Show

31)  The Donald O'Connor Show

32)  The Abbott And Costello Show

33)  Dan Dailey - The Governor And J.J.

34)  Shirley Jones - The Partridge Family

35)  Rock Hudson - McMillan And Wife

36)  Ernest Borgnine - McHale's Navy

37)  Ida Lupino - Mr. Adams And Eve

38)  Ann Sheridan - Pistols 'n' Petticoats

39)  Peter Lawford - Dear Phoebe and The Thin Man

40)  Robert Young - Father Knows Best and Marcus Welby M.D.

• Like 1

Excellent Princess and Miles. Let's add William Demarest and William Frawley to My Three Sons. Dorothy Malone and a few more in the cast of Peyton Place, Sam Jaffee in Ben Casey and Vince Edwards,  Robert Stack in The Untouchables, Raymond Massey in  Dr. Kildare.  Yes, Abbott and Costello and Hillary Brook too. William Bendix in Life of Riley.  Ward Bond in Wagon Train, Walter Brennan and Richard Crenna in The Real McCoys, Eve Arden in Our Miss Brooks. Raymond Burr in Perry Mason, Danny Kaye Show. TV turned out to be a career saver for many of our beloved movie stars. Great work Princess and Miles, Princess gets the thread 😊😊

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings