Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE YOUNG LIONS

roverrocks

I enjoyed seeing THE YOUNG LIONS again.  A fine movie with good acting and raises interesting questions in my opinion.  My only gripe with the movie is the casting of Dean Martin. Other than Martin I think the movie was well casted.  Wrong for the part and grates on me but then I have never been a Dean Martin fan especially not in a dramatic role.  I think somebody like Glen Ford would have been much more believable in the part. 

Tony Randell was originally cast in the Martin role, but MCA pushed for Martin and they won. Martin needed a hit, his first film without Jerry Lewis "Ten Thousand Bedrooms" was a major bomb. Everyone said Martin's career was finished. But when "The Young Lions" came out to excellent reviews Martin was on his way...

Tony Randell was originally cast in the Martin role, but MCA pushed for Martin and they won. Martin needed a hit, his first film without Jerry Lewis "Ten Thousand Bedrooms" was a major bomb. Everyone said Martin's career was finished. But when "The Young Lions" came out to excellent reviews Martin was on his way...

So Fred, any word if the producers of this movie might've been "swayed" to pick Dino over Tony due some horse head/bed thing too??? 

Hey, supposedly it worked once before for ANOTHER Rat Packer, RIGHT?!   ;)

(can't believe this word filter censors the word "P-a-c-k-e-r" too...sure hope there's not any avid Green Bay fans around here, 'cause they'd be out of luck in Jake's "Sports" thread!!!)

Edited by Dargo

So Fred, any word if the producers of this movie might've been "swayed" to pick Dino over Tony due some horse head/bed thing too??? 

Hey, supposedly it worked once before for ANOTHER Rat ****, RIGHT?!   ;)

(can't believe this word filter censors the word "P-a-c-k-e-r" too...sure hope there's not any avid Green Bay fans around here, 'cause they'd be out of luck in Jake's "Sports" thread!!!)

Hey, supposedly it worked once before for ANOTHER Rat ****, RIGHT?!   ;)

Just think how things might have turned out differently. Sinatra, Sammy, Lawford, Bishop, and Tony Randall turning Vegas on its head during breaks in the shooting of OCEANS 11.

I enjoyed seeing THE YOUNG LIONS again. 

This is the first time I've seen the complete film since it was first in the theaters.

I loved it. Very interesting all the way through.

The last half hour was very tense, because I was afraid one or more of the stars might get killed in battle.

This is the first time I've seen the complete film since it was first in the theaters.

I loved it. Very interesting all the way through.

The last half hour was very tense, because I was afraid one or more of the stars might get killed in battle.

Spoiler alert****

If I remember correctly in the book Monty Clift's character is killed by Brando and Martin kills him...

If there was a horses head for "The Young Lions", it was most likely a wooden horse's. Martin was a bigger star at MCA and they had a lot riding on his career...

TLI is actually a significant film in Hollywood history, as it showed how power had shifted from the studios to the agents.

We should be grateful, at least in this case, as Martin is much more convincing than Randall would have been (he was generally bad-to-embarrassing in dramatic roles). IMHO Martin is the best thing in the film.

Just think how things might have turned out differently. Sinatra, Sammy, Lawford, Bishop, and Tony Randall turning Vegas on its head during breaks in the shooting of OCEANS 11.

Do any of you remember the Chicago P a c k e r s expansion NBA team? They became, in turn, the Chicago Zephyrs, the Baltimore Bullets, the Capital Bullets, the Washington Bullets, and the Washington Wizards.

Do any of you remember the Chicago P a c k e r s expansion NBA team? They became, in turn, the Chicago Zephyrs, the Baltimore Bullets, the Capital Bullets, the Washington Bullets, and the Washington Wizards.

I sure don't remember the Chicago P a c k e r s.  Interesting.  Good name for a Chicago team since Chicago was such a stockyards/meat packing center.

I sure don't remember the Chicago P a c k e r s.  Interesting.  Good name for a Chicago team since Chicago was such a stockyards/meat packing center.

They moved out of Chicago, to Baltimore, after about two years. Walt Bellamy was their name player.

They moved out of Chicago, to Baltimore, after about two years. Walt Bellamy was their name player.

I definitely remember Bellamy.  Good player.  I liked the NBA a lot better back in those days than I do these days.

Washington Bullets is a great name. Washington Wizards, not so much.