Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ASTAIRE, JANE POWELL DVD RELEASES

edgedrv

Two favorite films of mine are coming to DVD: DELIGHTFULLY DANGEROUS. This little seen 1945 film stars Jane Powell, and co-stars the underrated Constance Moore as Powell's sister. This is a PD film and the bad news is Critic's Choice will be releasing the DVD. This company which specializes in PD films is not known releasing good transfers. I used to own a VHS copy of the film, the video was an abomination and the audio was so low I had to turn the volume way up, so I am hoping the DVD will look and sound a lot better. Release date: August 9. Will retail for $9.99.

FOX is working on the release of the 1955 Fred Astaire Musical DADDY LONG LEGS. Astaire is partnered with Leslie Caron in this charming CinemaScope film with music by Johnny Mercer. Astaire's daughter Ava is preparing an audio commentary as one of the extras for the DVD. Release date is tentative for early 2006.

That's great news about DADDY LONG LEGS! I have this one on vhs (back when everything was in pan and scan), and I noticed that Fox Movie Channel has been showing it this month in letterbox.

When I first saw DADDY LONG LEGS, I didn't like it that much because I loved the book as a girl and the movie makes several changes from the original story.(The biggest being that Leslie Caron's character is French.)But as time has gone by, this film has become one of my favorite of Fred Astaire's films, and my favorite performance by Caron, as well. It also has the wonderful Thelma Ritter as Fred's secretary.

Sandy K

Archived