Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programing Idea: "Mistaken Identity"

There are a few actors that are often mistaken for another - have a day where their films are shown back to back. My three pairings: Joan Blondell and Ann Southern, Charles Bickford and Dean Jagger, Claire Bloom and Dana Wynter. The pairs look alike and often played the same type of roles. Any other suggestions? Let's get the discussion started ...

Feidler and Helton are more "sound alikes" to me, but I'll go along with it.

I've always mixed up the "two Brians"...AHERN and DONLEVY

I'd sometimes mix up ARTHUR KENNEDY and VAN HEFLIN...

"Name-wise", I used to have trouble keeping DAN DAILEY and DAN DURYEA straight.

Sepiatone

Feidler and Helton are more "sound alikes" to me, but I'll go along with it.

I've always mixed up the "two Brians"...AHERN and DONLEVY

I'd sometimes mix up ARTHUR KENNEDY and VAN HEFLIN...

"Name-wise", I used to have trouble keeping DAN DAILEY and DAN DURYEA straight.

Sepiatone

Funny you should mention Dan Dailey. Way back when, I used to think he and Michael Rennie were the same person!

I also got Charles Coburn and Guy Kibbee mixed up along with Wally Cox and Joe Flynn.

....and I adore "both Brians".

There are a few actors that are often mistaken for another - have a day where their films are shown back to back. My three pairings: Joan Blondell and Ann Southern, Charles Bickford and Dean Jagger, Claire Bloom and Dana Wynter. The pairs look alike and often played the same type of roles. Any other suggestions? Let's get the discussion started ...

TCM is actually doing something like this in the near future.  On the morning of June 2nd, we will have films featuring June Havoc AND June Haver.  I suspect that a lot of people confuse the two, and TCM's programmers are going to help end the confusion.

"Mistaken Identities" seems to me to be a natural theme for an entry in TCM Programming Challenge. It could with ease be a one-day theme or a week-long theme.

The next Challenge will begin on Sunday, June 1, 2014. 

TCM Programming Challenges are an opportunity to create your ideal schedule for a week. It is an unofficial contest but TCM Programmers have borrowed many themes and premieres from the entries. Many of us have seen our themes used in real schedules.

Any person may enter. The simple premise is that you create a schedule which adheres to TCM standards such as prime-time beginning at 8:00PM, Silent Night and Import movies late Sunday, a Star of the Month, an Underground movie and an Essential. You are free to chose any movie which TCM can readily obtain. You are free also to chose a certain number of movies which may be difficult for them to obtain.

It is great fun and it is a method to have your programming ideas taken seriously by the actual TCM Programmers. We greatly encourage new entrants and provide as much help as we can.

You may see most of the past Challenges here:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/forum/138-tcm-program-challenges-archive/

You may PM me also if you have any questions.   :)

• 2 weeks later...

@The Gay Divorcee:

Back in the "Golden days" of SNL, they did a sketch where three of the men in the cast all wore white suits.  One introduced himself to a young lady as Ricardo Montalban.  The next guy corrected him: "No, YOU are Fernando Lamas.  I'M Ricardo Montalban!"  The third chirped in, "No.  YOU are CESAR ROMERO.  I'M Ricardo Montalban!" And on and on it went.  Pretty hilarious.

Sepiatone

Hey dargo. A year ago (although it might be more like 2) I asked if someone would post Aline MacMahon and Sara Hadon for me since i thought there was such a strong resemblance. I commented at the time that I noticed that resemblance while watching an Andy Hardy movie. You posted them for me, even telling me i had a god eye, see you've reposted those photos :) I was glad then you could also see the strong resemblance, glad you still see it  LOL

Just yesterday I confused

Marvin Kaplan...

9074-7675.gif

with Arnold Stang...

Arnold_Stang.jpg

It's easy to tell them apart - Stang is Top Cat and Kaplan is TC's buddy Choo-Choo.

Kaplan is chunkier, although it was Stang who told us in commercials about Chunky bars as "What a **** of chocolate."

EDITED TO ADD: Apparently "chunk" is one of the forbidden words.

Edited by clore
  • Like 1

Hey dargo. A year ago (although it might be more like 2) I asked if someone would post Aline MacMahon and Sara Hadon for me since i thought there was such a strong resemblance. I commented at the time that I noticed that resemblance while watching an Andy Hardy movie. You posted them for me, even telling me i had a god eye, see you've reposted those photos :) I was glad then you could also see the strong resemblance, glad you still see it  LOL

Now, in the back of my mind I kinda knew I had heard this one before from somebody else.

Evidently you must have made a BIG impression upon me somewhere along the line, eh Char?! ;)

(...all 5 foot of ya anyway!)   :D ;)