Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Street Scene" Film Noir Programming suggestion

cigarjoe

I apologize to any members who have already read this over on the Film Noir and Gangster Board but it's not getting much traffic there so I' post it here again.

TCM should have a "Street Scene Soundtrack" Film Noir's theme night.

The score is by Alfred Newman (originally used for Street Scene 1931) and was re-used for Cry Of The CityKiss Of DeathI Wake Up ScreamingWhere The Sidewalk Ends, and The Dark Corner.

A heads up to Fast Eddie (Eddie Muller). ;-)

• Like 2

The score originally used for Street Scene 193 was re-used for Cry Of The CityKiss Of DeathI Wake Up ScreamingWhere The Sidewalk Ends, and The Dark Corner.

I did not know that, thank you!

I recorded STREET SCENE hoping to get variations of the song-I was familiar with it from Capitol's Ultra Lounge series which sports various versions. Great song.

I have copies of I WAKE UP SCREAMING & WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and will give them another viewing/listen.

TCM should have a "Street Scene Soundtrack" Film Noir's theme night.

The score is by Alfred Newman (originally used for Street Scene 1931) and was re-used for Cry Of The CityKiss Of DeathI Wake Up ScreamingWhere The Sidewalk Ends, and The Dark Corner.

I've known about that re-use of the "Street Scene" theme for several years now, but I'd never thought of making that haunting melody into an evening's programming theme.  What a great idea!

Aside from Alfred Newman's outstanding prologue to HTMAM, which is in glorious stereo, the best re-recording of this piece was done by Morton Gould for an album called "Exploring the Digital Frontier".  It has been reissued on CD on an album called MORTON GOULD CONDUCTS FILM SCORE CLASSICS AND RARITIES.  Gould's arrangement is reminiscent of Newman's music for the 1931 picture STREET SCENE.  http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8250

Here is Newman's 1931 original:

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/street_scene_1931.mp3

street_scene_herald.jpg

What makes the Street Scene melody so particularly evocative for me is that all the movies I've heard it in are set in what I think of as "Lost New York City", meaning the economically diverse city as it was before the yuppies and the gentrifiers colonized pretty much the entire borough of Manhattan and began extending their tentacles outwards to Brooklyn and Queens.

Another beautiful opening score that evokes many of  the same memories is Max Steiner's composition for the 1932 Ricardo Cortez /  Irene Dunne film, Symphony of Six Million, a melodrama centered on the Lower East Side.  Not a noir, of course, but still a great movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0OOuKGDHIE

Aside from Alfred Newman's outstanding prologue to HTMAM, which is in glorious stereo, the best re-recording of this piece was done by Morton Gould for an album called "Exploring the Digital Frontier".  It has been reissued on CD on an album called MORTON GOULD CONDUCTS FILM SCORE CLASSICS AND RARITIES.  Gould recreates the original 1931 arrangement of Newman's music for the picture STREET SCENE.  http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8250

Here is Newman's 1931 original:

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/street_scene_1931.mp3

street_scene_herald.jpg

Howdy neighbor, Shokan, NY, here. ;-)

I've always liked Lou Busch & his Orchestra's version: 

Another beautiful opening score that evokes many of  the same memories is Max Steiner's composition for the 1932 Ricardo Cortez /  Irene Dunne film, Symphony of Six Million, a melodrama centered on the Lower East Side.  Not a noir, of course, but still a great movie.

Max's "Symphony of Six Million" was our wedding march back in 1981.  We had it played by harp and violin.  Sheet music was never issued, but I called the publisher and got an old-timer on the phone and he made me a lead sheet for it, which I gave to a couple of musicians from Julliard.  My wife and I couldn't have had a better way to begin our lives together.

Max's "Symphony of Six Million" was our wedding march back in 1981.  We had it played by harp and violin.  Sheet music was never issued, but I called the publisher and got an old-timer on the phone and he made me a lead sheet for it, which I gave to a couple of musicians from Julliard.  My wife and I couldn't have had a better way to begin our lives together.

That's a beautiful story, though I'm afraid if I'd been there I might have been overcome by the combination of the moment and the music.  Fortunately or unfortunately, at the time of my marriage it would be another 20 years before I was first exposed to the movie and the melody.

! ! !

Only triple bolded exclamation points can convey my feelings when I read this thread. When Where the Sidewalk Ends was aired recently on TCM, I noticed the music immediately. I thought, "I've heard that before, in another noir. Which one?" I even meant to ask this question on the "Laura" thread which appeared shortly after these two Otto Preminger treats were shown. 

I knew the theme was used in more than one movie, and certainly more than one other noir. I just wasn't sure which ones. Thank you, thank you, cigarjoe, for starting this thread and bringing up the topic of that great noirish theme music.

I've seen all the films you list. I'm surprised and annoyed with myself that I wasn't able to place the music with at least one of those other titles. 

It's a great theme, and the melody and arrangements fit perfectly with the noir sensibility.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings