Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I watched Morris Engel's Little Fugitive last night, called the first indie film, what a wonderful slice of life of New York's Coney Island, and a great little film.

My question has TCM ever aired this?

I watched Morris Engel's Little Fugitive last night, called the first indie film, what a wonderful slice of life of New York's Coney Island, and a great little film.

It's been said that LF did for filmmaking what Shadows did for film acting. Truffaut cited it as an influence on the New Wave.

TCM has also shown Morris Engel's followup Weddings and Babies, which features professional actors like Viveca Lindfors -- and John Myhers as the romantic lead.

Not for the past 5 years, which is when I began recording every movie in sight, but I do remember having seen it at one point sometime before that.  I'd love to see it again, as aside from its considerable artistic qualities, it presents a wonderful time capsule of New York City childhood of the 50's, when every waking moment wasn't crammed with organized activities scheduled by helicopter parents.

TCM also showed his film Lovers and Lollipops. All three, his only films, are available in a set, on Amazon.

Not to take anything away from the man, whose films I much appreciate, but he certainly wasn't the first independent filmmaker. The first feature length narrative film, perhaps. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings