Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beau Geste (1926)

GoodGuysWearBlack

• 2 weeks later...

I have BEAU GESTE (1926) on DVD-R from the 1993 Japanese Laser-disc fitted up with my on scoring selections. It is most certainly NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN! Whoever told you that is misinformed. Paramount technically still holds the rights. If it were Public-Domain a company like Kino or Flicker Alley, or Milestone would have released it a long time ago I assure you. Especially given that it was one of the biggest American films of the 1920's.

The biggest problem is the preservation format. It was copied to Acetate Base Safety film from original Niitrate some 30 plus years ago. Acetate is no longer in use. Replaced with Polyester base. Both the LOC and MoMA have 35 millimeter Acetate safetis made from what David Shepard described as almost perfect nitrate. Alas the only copies they rent are in 16 millimeter, and some scenes only survive in 16 millimeter. In 2010 UCLA was going to restore the complete film, but the project fell through due to lack of grants and funding. BEAU GESTE is one of my top 5 favorite Silent films still not on official home video. It saddens me that no one has come forward to restore this important film. I think a fund raiser should be organized as it is long since overdue.

1520805_10203583549459558_656280299_n.jp

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings