Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BERNARD HERRMANN: A CELEBRATION

BERNARD HERRMANN: A CELEBRATION OF HIS LIFE AND MUSIC

In 1988 producers Bruce Crawford and Bob Coate began preparing a massive documentary for radio broadcast in a courageous attempt to recount the life and career of one of the twentieth century's most original and colorful symphonic composers, the legendary Bernard Herrmann.  Their Herculean task resulted, happily, in the production of a truly extraordinary biographical profile that has endured for more than a quarter century.  Here, with lovely graphics by Roger Hall and preserved through the auspices of the richly evocative web magazine, Film Music Review, is my remembrance of this remarkable, one of a kind program.

http://www.americanmusicpreservation.com/BernardHerrmannradio.htm

Steve Vertlieb

That you are fond of Mr. Herrmann is clear.  Most of us here are, too.  I for one, would love to see TCM do profiles on ALL of those composers of movie scores whose work had been outstanding.  Korngold, the Newmans, Waxman, Goldsmith, etc.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Sepiatone has a great notion about TCM saluting film composers. I would enjoy seeing documentaries or even a composer of the month selection. My first exposure to Herrmann was as an eight year old viewing 7th Voyage of Sinbad. I think the music was effective because I had my eyes shut tight.

On Sunday, May 4 @ 4:30 am eastern, Fox movie channel will air HANGOVER SQUARE, with its excellent Bernard Herrmann score. This classic period thriller is set in gaslight era London, and stars Linda Darnell, George Sanders and Laird Cregar (in his last role....he died before its release), as a maniacal composer. Highly recommended.

On Sunday, May 4 @ 4:30 am eastern, Fox movie channel will air HANGOVER SQUARE, with its excellent Bernard Herrmann score. This classic period thriller is set in gaslight era London, and stars Linda Darnell, George Sanders and Laird Cregar (in his last role....he died before its release), as a maniacal composer. Highly recommended.

I am not sure how I would take it personally if the story was about a maniacal composer and I was given the assignment to score it.

OK now......it seems that.since the Fox.Movie Channel recently got it's schedule online again, after several months, it again seems to list the first of it's classic films 24 hours before actually shown. I didn't stay up to see if HANGOVER SQUARE was on early this morning, but it is listed for Monday @ 4:30 am eastern. It leads off several mostly mid.40s thrillers, of which the second, JANE EYRE, also has a Herrmann score. Sorry about any inconvenience.

I am not sure how I would take it personally if the story was about a maniacal composer and I was given the assignment to score it.

Well thé Laird Cregar character was a renowned composer, who suspects he has maniacal tendencies, which strike after he heard loud dissonant noise. He has blackouts, and finds himself coming out of them disoriented and sometimes bloody. Herrmann had a field day coming up with the concerto that the composer isis to debut.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings