Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is a new thread for our current Star of the Month for May 2014: JUNE ALLYSON! YAY!!!

I know some people dislike her for whatever reason, but I please ask you to be kind on here. If you have something yucky or mean to say, please try to refrain from being unkind. This is a thread for the nice and loverly people. Thank you kindly everyone!

Now, who's ready and loves Junie?!

What are you most excited to see from her films and what are your favorites?

I am happy that High Barbaree will be shown, but unfortunately it is on in the middle of the night. June probably never looked lovelier than in the scene where she reappears in Van Johnson's life at the dance. This film is one of the best wartime romances. A big plus is that the child actors who play Van and June as children really do look like them.

What a beautiful picture of our star you posted, Ms. T.

• Like 1

This is a new thread for our current Star of the Month for May 2014: JUNE ALLYSON! YAY!!!

I know some people dislike her for whatever reason, but I please ask you to be kind on here. If you have something yucky or mean to say, please try to refrain from being unkind. This is a thread for the nice and loverly people. Thank you kindly everyone!

I'm definitely a June Allyson fan.  Love her!  By the way, there is a thread on the SOTM board, in the TCM Programs forum, listing all the films that are scheduled in her honor this month.

Since I'm not nice and loverly with respect to this subject, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Kingrat, thanks for mentioning "High Barbaree."  i've never heard of this movie, and I probably would have let it slip by on the 21st without watching it.  Now I definitely will look for it. I'm also one who enjoys June Allyson,  I can understand why she would not be everyone's favorite, but she diefinitely held a special place in Hollywood in the 1940's and 1950's.  Maybe she couldn't sing like Garland, or dance as well as Vera-Ellen, but she still was so much fun to watch in those musicals.  I'm glad she's being honored this month.

Terrence.

I don't HATE "Junie" (echh!), but I never COULD figure the idea of her being a romantic target.  How in some movies, gorgeous women would be passing by like a parade, but the guy only had eyes for June.  Gave me shivers.

But to her credit, she WAS a good actress, and never got into roles that were negative characters.  Always someone you'd like to know.  My stepsister, who was lesbian, liked her a LOT.  Said she had a kind of "butch-femininity".  I think I only understand that because there were a lot of similarities in June's character's personalities, and Gloria's( the stepsister) personality.

At any rate, most of Allyson's movies are worth a look, and you'd not be wasting time in viewing them.

Sepiatone

Put me in the LIKE column.. actually, I luuurrrvvv June Allyson - inside and out. 

I find her beautiful to look at and an incredibly appealing on-screen personality. I wonder if she was like this in her home life.

afkc60.jpg

• Like 1

A friend of mine said she bumped into June once in a La Jolla grocery store in the early 1970s.  June was appearing in a production at the La Jolla Playhouse, to be close to her son who was attending college in the area. That particular day June was not performing and went to get ingredients to make dinner for her son. According to my friend, she was willing to sign an autograph and seemed very down-to-earth.

Kingrat, thanks for mentioning "High Barbaree."  i've never heard of this movie, and I probably would have let it slip by on the 21st without watching it.  Now I definitely will look for it.

Terrence.

Be sure to pay special attention to the tornado scene about an hour or so into the film. You'll be amazed by the special effects. Of course, it's probably nothing you haven't seen before.

While I wouldn't call myself a "fan" of June Allyson, I don't actively try to avoid her.  If she happens to be in a movie I'm watching, then she's usually fine.  Her presence in a film doesn't "ruin" it for me.  I just watched "Executive Suite" the other day for the first time.  Well, technically it was the second time, but it was more on as background noise while I was working on something else.  I actually watched the movie the other day.  I thought Allyson was effective as William Holden's supportive wife.  BTW: "Executive Suite" was excellent.  I really enjoyed the voting scene at the end when Fredric March's plan fell apart. 

I'll admit I haven't seen a ton of Allyson's work, but from what I've seen, I like her better in supportive roles than when she's carrying a film herself.  I saw the 1949 version of "Little Women" starring Allyson, Elizabeth Taylor, Janet Leigh and Margaret O'Brien.  June Allyson was the main character in that film and I'll admit that I did not care for her interpretation of Jo.  She was too old for the part and not believable as a teenager.  At least for me. 

Maybe I need to see the "quinessential" June Allyson role to see if it changes my opinion of her.

.. BTW: "Executive Suite" was excellent.  I really enjoyed the voting scene at the end when Fredric March's plan fell apart..

Fredric March makes a great squirmmer, doesn't he? I really get a kick out of watching his performance in this film.

Maybe I need to see the "quinessential" June Allyson role to see if it changes my opinion of her.

:P

You just have to be in luuurrrrvvv with her - like me

I know it was requested that this thread not go negative due to June Allyson's polarizing effect on people here.  And I did want to post last week that I enjoyed some of her movies from the mid-40s, when she first gained favor with movie audiences.  She was pert and perky, almost (dareisayit?) cute. and not as bad as I remembered. 

However, last night's first two movies reminded me how awful she could be a decade later, in her remakes of beloved classics.  I find her version of MY MAN GODFREY appalling, and she pales when compared to Carole Lombard.  Even Osborne seemed to imply in his comments that she was not up to snuff.  And while THE OPPOSITE SEX is an interesting retooling of THE WOMEN, Allyson cannot come close to Norma Shearer (and I'm not big on Shearer's Mary Haines, my least favorite of the main cast members).   There was nothing ingratiating about these performances, and she made the error of inviting comparisons with the original actresses.  Sorry, just my opinion.

She seemed to star in a good number of remakes (none of which compared favorably to the originals)......Wonder if finance was watching last night???

I know it was requested that this thread not go negative due to June Allyson's polarizing effect on people here.  And I did want to post last week that I enjoyed some of her movies from the mid-40s, when she first gained favor with movie audiences.  She was pert and perky, almost (dareisayit?) cute. and not as bad as I remembered. 

However, last night's first two movies reminded me how awful she could be a decade later, in her remakes of beloved classics.  I find her version of MY MAN GODFREY appalling, and she pales when compared to Carole Lombard.  Even Osborne seemed to imply in his comments that she was not up to snuff.  And while THE OPPOSITE SEX is an interesting retooling of THE WOMEN, Allyson cannot come close to Norma Shearer (and I'm not big on Shearer's Mary Haines, my least favorite of the main cast members).   There was nothing ingratiating about these performances, and she made the error of inviting comparisons with the original actresses.  Sorry, just my opinion.

It's an uphill battle to be involved in remakes of originals that were so popular. And there was another, You Can't Run Away From It, that June did with Jack Lemmon, a remake of It Happened One Night. Another hard act to follow. I remember seeing this way back when and sort of liked it, but that was before I was even aware of the original. There is a scene where June naps and wakes up to find Jack gone, she panics and frantically looks for him. She finds him and throws herself into his arms, not because she loves him (she doesn't know that yet), but because, as a runaway, she was afraid that he had abandoned her. This is how the ice was broken with them and it sort of got to me. I don't think it's a popular film. It seems forgotten, it never comes up. I remember her being okay but the inevitable comparisons are probably not kind to her.

My mother HATED June Allyson, and always claimed that Gloria De Haven should have played every role that June Allyson had.  I don't hate her, but I don't love her, either.  As for the remakes, I think she fares very well in every one of them.  In the case of THE OPPOSITE SEX, other than Joan Crawford, I hate THE WOMEN (and am not particularly fond of THE OPPOSITE SEX, either), but I don't see how she's inferior to Norma Shearer (who I do dislike).  The best version of LITTLE WOMEN, is the 1994 version, so her take on Jo is fine, with me.  I could do without her singing, and the biggest issue with THE OPPOSITE SEX, is that the best singer in the film doesn't sing (other than over the credits).  I do like GOOD NEWS, though.  For her musical appearances, that one is easily my favorite.  There's no one else quite like her, so I'm glad there's a June Allyson.

I almost forgot to say that I met June Allyson, when I was 9 or 10 years old.  I don't really recall much about it, other than she was very sweet to me.

• Like 1

After seeing the TCM promo clip of June Allyson clobbering Joan Collins and then watching little June brawling with her "sister" in MY MAN GODFREY  I am surprised she didn't do any prizefighter or roller derby films ;) .  She was a spunky little thing, could have been Cagney's sister.

I always adored June Allyson and could watch her in anything -- with the exception of those Depends Undergarments commercials and print ads she began doing in the late 1980s. Those were painful to look at.

But Edward G. Robinson's 1960s commercial for Instant Maxwell House coffee was cool!.

I went for a walk last night after watching MY MAN GODFREY, and I really felt the essence of June Allyson went with me on that walk.  Does that sound too far-fetched?  I think I realized that she is a very accessible personality in her film performances, and if you are open to her brand of magic, it can be quite fun.  I think she did rather well in her remakes.

There are other things that could be criticized in those pictures that have nothing to do with her-- like i did think the set design in GODFREY could have used a bit more oomph-- it was an opportunity to really use color to contrast the opulence of the Bullock family with others who did not enjoy such wealth.  Also, and this hasn't anything to do with Universal, but with TCM-- but I was disappointed that the film was shown in a pan-and-scan version.  It was made in Cinemascope and it sure would have been nice to see it as it was intended to be seen by audiences.

I went for a walk last night after watching MY MAN GODFREY, and I really felt the essence of June Allyson went with me on that walk.  Does that sound too far-fetched?  I think I realized that she is a very accessible personality in her film performances, and if you are open to her brand of magic, it can be quite fun.  I think she did rather well in her remakes.

There are other things that could be criticized in those pictures that have nothing to do with her-- like i did think the set design in GODFREY could have used a bit more oomph-- it was an opportunity to really use color to contrast the opulence of the Bullock family with others who did not enjoy such wealth.  Also, and this hasn't anything to do with Universal, but with TCM-- but I was disappointed that the film was shown in a pan-and-scan version.  It was made in Cinemascope and it sure would have been nice to see it as it was intended to be seen by audiences.

OK, I've zipped my mouth all month, but May is now over, and it's time for ME to turn cartwheels.

OK, I've zipped my mouth all month, but May is now over, and it's time for ME to turn cartwheels.

June Allyson films will always be played on TCM, because so many of them are in the Turner Library. And probably in five to ten years, she will be Star of the Month again.

LMREO!!! You poor thing. You should be safe for another 5 yrs or so!

I always adored June Allyson and could watch her in anything -- with the exception of those Depends Undergarments commercials and print ads she began doing in the late 1980s. Those were painful to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq1pcy2EPE8

But Edward G. Robinson's 1960s commercial for Instant Maxwell House coffee was cool!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSGlrXdORM8

LOL. I remember those!

My mother HATED June Allyson, and always claimed that Gloria De Haven should have played every role that June Allyson had. 

According to my mother, someone had once mentioned to her that she reminded them of June Allyson.

My mother did not take that as a compliment.

She also said that at least one person said she reminded them of Patricia Neal. She didn't like that comparison either but I got the feeling that she liked it better than the June Allyson comparison.