Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RSVP with the Reagans a.k.a. Stars at the White House

TopBilled

You are cordially invited to participate in this thread...

1rsvp.png

But let's begin with a disclaimer right up front:  This thread is NOT about politics but rather the history of stars and the White House-- notably during the 80s, when an ex-movie star was our 40th U.S. President.

The idea for the thread came when I was looking for photos of Claudette Colbert in her later years. One of the first ones I found was a gala she attended as a guest of the Reagans.  That started me thinking-- I bet a lot of the Reagans' friends from Hollywood visited the White House.  

Of course, this wouldn't be unique to the Reagan administration, because going back as far as Hollywood has been turning out movies, many stars have often been seen with the President and the First Spouse. However, with the Reagans both having been in motion pictures themselves, I would think the likelihood of stars visiting the White House was greater than in previous presidencies. 

Okay, let's get started...

search.jpg

Just by coincidence , last night Don Rickles was on the David Letterman show.  Don, by the way is turning 88 years young in a few days. Part of the talk with Letterman was about Frank Sinatra bringing Rickles along to the second Reagan inauguration.

• Like 1

Just by coincidence , last night Don Rickles was on the David Letterman show.  Don, by the way is turning 88 years young in a few days. Part of the talk with Letterman was about Frank Sinatra bringing Rickles along to the second Reagan inauguration.

I wasn't able to find any photos of Rickles at the White House, or with President Reagan.  Though I think they both appeared together on some Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts in the 60s and 70s, one of them for Sinatra.

I think I read somewhere that once a year at Camp David they would watch HELLCATS OF THE NAVY-- their only film together.

Okay then TB, how about THIS instead here?...

reagans_watching.gif

"Yes Ronnie dear, you're right! Arthur Franz had even less on-screen pizzazz than Bob Cummings had!"

;)

• Like 1