Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm haunted by this movie I can't remember, please help!!!! :)

I remember watching this classic movie, but for the life of me I can't remember the title or any of the names of the actors, just the plot! I recall it was in color, probably a film made in the late 1950's / American movie set in Spain or Italy, period drama about a royal Spanish Lady that's supposed to wed / arranged marriage with a nobleman from England (maybe), and then she get's abducted by a criminal and later on she gives up the throne and elopes with this same criminal, and her lady's maid falls for her English man - I remember a scene at the end of the film where they are both in a small floating boat. For sure, the two leads / the male criminal and lady are both dark brunettes. The plot is similar to The Spanish Main - 1945 but it definitely doesn't star any Maureern O'Haras or Paul Henreids. Can someone pleeeeeeeeeease give me any suggestions here, anything that comes close will suffice because I've been haunted to find this movie for over 20 years now - I just must know what film this is!! Thank you soooooo much!!! :))))

I have a vague recollection of a film shown a few years ago on TCM, that matches your description. Unfortunately, I can't remember the title, or the actors. As I recall, it was in widescreen, possibly set in Spanish Morocco. The male lead came to the female lead's rescue with a pirate fleet, although he wasn't a pirate. I think she was in danger because those around her were plotting to seize control of where she ruled. 

cp72, I just checked Tyrone's filmography, and it's not him. I had also checked for James Mason, and Ray Milland, didn't get a hit. I think the film was mid-50s, and what I'd call a sword and sandal pic, with palace intrigue. It may come to me, eventually!

cp72, I just checked Tyrone's filmography, and it's not him. I had also checked for James Mason, and Ray Milland, didn't get a hit. I thing the film was mid-50s, and what I'd call a sword and sandal pic, with palace intrigue. It may come to me, eventually!

Is it possible it starred Doug Fairbanks, Jr? The description sounds so familiar and TCM has shown some of Doug's adventure films.

I was pretty sure it wasn't DFjr., but checked to make sure. I think it is a less well known male lead than those I checked on, and that's part of why I can't remember the actor.

OOOPS! As I was typing the above, it came to me that the female lead was Patricia Medina. The male lead was Paul Henreid, who I like, and should have remembered. In my earlier post I said he wasn't a pirate, but I was wrong. The film I have been thinking of was Pirates of Tripoli. Of course, that may not be the film NJS was thinking of.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048493/reference

For sure I remember that the male and female leads seem to be actors and actresses that weren't well known, yet it wasn't a foreign film! I remember the thief had a mustache and kinda looked like Omar Sharif, the female looked liked Pier Angeli or Dana Wynter but she also had a lady in waiting that was a brunette that could be either one of these actresses, again I'm not sure :/ If anyone can think of any films where the ladies fell in love with their kidnappers set in Spain/Italy either 1950s or possibly early 1960's film, I don't know how else to narrow it down. Like I said my family and I have said for years the film's title has been one of the biggest mysteries we've ever had!

I have no idea what it could be, so I will just toss out two names as remote possibilities:

Blackbeard the Pirate

Captain Pirate

Both are available on youtube, so you can check them out.