Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Audrey Hepburn celebrated by Google today

I think I may do my own tribute and watch my favorites of hers:

Roman Holiday, Funny Face and Sabrina. 

I agree.  When I get off work later this afternoon, I may spend the remainder of my evening watching Audrey as well-- one of my favorites.  I also agree with primosprimos, it is so unfair that Audrey died at the relatively young age of 63.  Boo cancer.  Such a great lady, a humanitarian, great actress-- an all-around class act. 

I love Google's "doodle" of Audrey.  I  was happy to see that she was being recognized. 

I'll probably watch:

-Sabrina (although I just watched it a few weeks ago.  But who cares, that movie never gets old)

-Funny Face (that's a good choice, I haven't seen it in awhile)

-Charade

And if I have time... maybe How to Steal a Million or Breakfast at Tiffanys. 

• Like 1

And without further ado..

214eagx.jpg

Happy Birthday Audrey !

ztdhf4.jpg

Thank you, Kid_Dabb, for kindly posting the Doodle (and no one questioning why I failed to!) and the gorgeous photo.  She was exquisite and so special.  And thanks to TCM for "Wait Until Dark" and "Love in the Afternoon" today.

• Like 1

They've been running the CGI commercial with Audrey's likeness for the past couple of days - quite a bit. It's obvious her face is animated and that only bugs me a little - I've gotten used to that. What really bugs me is that slow blink of Audrey's has been overused. This commercial has her using that blink way to many times. I think if she just did it once, at the end, it would have more impact and, for me, would have made her seem more realistic.

Audrey's Commercial - click here

• Like 1

They've been running the CGI commercial with Audrey's likeness for the past couple of days - quite a bit. It's obvious her face is animated and that only bugs me a little - I've gotten used to that. What really bugs me is that slow blink of Audrey's has been overused. This commercial has her using that blink way to many times. I think if she just did it once, at the end, it would have more impact and, for me, would have made her seem more realistic.

Animated? Bugs you? As in Bugs Bunny? Was that intentional?

In Dec.1963, While taking TV production courses at RCA Institute in Manhattan, I was working at the Regency Hotel on Park Ave and 61 St. as the service elevator operator. The elevator was for employees to use. One day the buzzard goes of and I take the car to the floor and open the doors. Who's standing there but Audrey Hepburn. She sees the surprised look on my face and says ..."Darling, can you take me to the garage, I have a car waiting there for me?".. I said yes, but you can take the main elevator. She answers "I know, but there's reporters in the lobby and I'm very late for an appointment and I don't want to be rude and not talk to them". Those days the stars and reporters worked together.

You could not take the passenger elevator directly to the garage. You have to get off at the lobby and cross the lobby to another car. . For security reasons. So I said "Yes" and she gets in and we start down and she starts talking..." Don't you just love New York at Christmas, it's so beautiful", I said "Yes" She says "The whole city becomes magical " and she goes on like we were old friends. We arrive and she gets out and as she does, I say "Miss Hepburn, any chance of getting an autograph" She says Oh, I'm so late" she looks at my name tag "Fred, but I'll get you one ..OK". I say Yes and she heads to her waiting car. I figure "That's that"....

A day or two later I pick up a waiter  pushing a food tray and as he gets in he says ""Audrey Hepburn ask me to give this to the elevator operator named Fred and he hands me an manila envelope and inside is an 8x10 picture of Audrey Hepburn in one of her "My Fair Lady" outfits and  autographed "To Fred, Sincerely, Audrey Hepburn" also in the envelope were two tickets to Radio City Music Hall Christmas show where her film "Charade" with Cary Grant had opened.

The picture is on the wall as I type this ....

• Like 1

In Dec.1963, While taking TV production courses at RCA Institute in Manhattan, I was working at the Regency Hotel on Park Ave and 61 St. as the service elevator operator. The elevator was for employees to use. One day the buzzard goes of and I take the car to the floor and open the doors. Who's standing there but Audrey Hepburn. She sees the surprised look on my face and says ..."Darling, can you take me to the garage, I have a car waiting there for me?".. I said yes, but you can take the main elevator. She answers "I know, but there's reporters in the lobby and I'm very late for an appointment and I don't want to be rude and not talk to them". Those days the stars and reporters worked together.

You could not take the passenger elevator directly to the garage. You have to get off at the lobby and cross the lobby to another car. . For security reasons. So I said "Yes" and she gets in and we start down and she starts talking..." Don't you just love New York at Christmas, it's so beautiful", I said "Yes" She says "The whole city becomes magical " and she goes on like we were old friends. We arrive and she gets out and as she does, I say "Miss Hepburn, any chance of getting an autograph" She says Oh, I'm so late" she looks at my name tag "Fred, but I'll get you one ..OK". I say Yes and she heads to her waiting car. I figure "That's that"....

A day or two later I pick up a waiter  pushing a food tray and as he gets in he says ""Audrey Hepburn ask me to give this to the elevator operator named Fred and he hands me an manila envelope and inside is an 8x10 picture of Audrey Hepburn in one of her "My Fair Lady" outfits and  autographed "To Fred, Sincerely, Audrey Hepburn" also in the envelope were two tickets to Radio City Music Hall Christmas show where her film "Charade" with Cary Grant had opened.

Such a nice story. I remember you telling it once before (not that I ever tire of hearing it!) Class acts like Audrey are few and far between anymore, sadly....

Agree about the slow blink--it should have been used in moderation.  

I assume the family or estate must approve using the use of the image.  And I hope the actresses/actors would have approved of being used in that way.

fredbaetz,

What a story!  I love hearing about stars who are thoughtful and kind.  Especially today, when you read how some request that eye contact not be made by drivers, maids, et cetera.  What a gracious, lovely person she was, and how you must treasure that photograph!

What a great story! One might have expected the Audrey Hepburn of 1953 to follow through like that. But in 1963, she was one of the biggest stars in the universe -- and her career was winding down, although we didn't know it at the time. Such a class act!

Wonderful story, Fred. Thanks so much for sharing a great memory that anyone would love to have.

It's so nice to see further confirmation that Miss Hepburn was every bit as gracious and as much of a class act off screen as she was on. Maybe that's why she would never have been convincing as a screen villain. It just wasn't within her (nor would her fans have liked it).

Now that I think about it, though, Hepburn might have succeeded as a villainess if it had been as a stylish, "hello dahhhhling" tongue-in-cheek one, such as in TV's Batman (except for the fact that she was too big a star to appear on that show).

I have a photograph from My Fair Lady autographed by Hepburn, as well as Rex Harrison. Unfortunately, I wasn't present when the picture was signed, but I've done signature comparisons and they appear to be genuine.

Wonderful story, Fred. Thanks so much for sharing a great memory that anyone would love to have.

It's so nice to see further confirmation that Miss Hepburn was every bit as gracious and as much of a class act off screen as she was on. Maybe that's why she would never have been convincing as a screen villain. It just wasn't within her (nor would her fans have liked it).

Now that I think about it, though, Hepburn might have succeeded as a villainess if it had been as a stylish, "hello dahhhhling" tongue-in-cheek one, such as in TV's Batman (except for the fact that she was too big a star to appear on that show).

At a glance, I often get mixed up between Audrey Hepburn and Jean Simmons, who can definitely play the baddie. Once my eyes focus on Audrey's Bambi-like eyes.. well, it's all over then. Now I know it's her.

At a glance, I often get mixed up between Audrey Hepburn and Jean Simmons, who can definitely play the baddie. Once my eyes focus on Audrey's Bambi-like eyes.. well, it's all over then. Now I know it's her.

I,too , have the same confusion between Audrey and Jean. Audrey;s face was more classically beautiful.

I,too , have the same confusion between Audrey and Jean. Audrey;s face was more classically beautiful.

They could be mistaken for sisters.......Jean is shorter and has a fuller figure, but facially they do resemble each other and were close in age......

Seriously? How did you come to meet her?

I was an extra on the film, a firefighter, I was also standing on the wing fueling the Douglas A-26 Invader at the airport in Libby, Montana. 

Here is my daughter with Holly Hunter ;-)

hollyhunterampcassi_zps042a8ca1.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings