Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Green Lantern (2011)

Kid Dabb

Out of all the comic book super heroes, one favorite has always been Green Lantern.

I have yet to see this film in it's entirety - I caught the last 30 minutes a month or so ago and this morning, the Fox Network is running it again. The first 15 minutes is as far as I got before I lost interest.

I'm sure I will like this movie as soon as I can set myself down to watch it all the way through, I just have to get by all of the contemporary references that switch off my attention. So far, I have found the other Green Lanterns (in this film.. from other sectors) to be far more intriguing than the star of this film (from "Earth" sector.. whatever # that is). I'm usually put off by lavish special effects, but in this case they are just what I would expect if I were reading the comic book - good stuff.

I saw this one in the theater in 3 - D and while some of the visuals are dazzling - it looks too much like a cartoon.   Ryan Reynolds does look like a super hero but unlike Chris(Captain America) Evans you never really believe him as the Green Lantern.  I like the villain which was like something out of Jack Arnold sci-fi movie.   Marvel seems to know how bring their characters to the movies- DC seems to have trouble as long as it's not Batman or Superman.

I saw this one in the theater in 3 - D and while some of the visuals are dazzling - it looks too much like a cartoon..

I like this aspect - I prefer the comic book portrayal with all it's imagery.

I never became interested in Captain America's adventures, although his backstory and creation have interested me.

I thought Green Lantern was okay.  I agree with the consensus that Marvel is better than DC at bringing their characters to life.  Iron Man was much better than Green Lantern as was the Avengers.  I agree that Captain America is kind of dull; but I do like his backstory as well. 

As for Green Lantern, I think Ryan Reynolds was a perfect choice for Hal Jordan.  He even kind of looks like how he does in the comics.  I also thought Sinestro was great as was Parallax.  My favorite was all the weapons that he could produce using his ring.  The effects were a little cartoony.  In the Marvel movies, the action sequences and special effects seemed more realistic--even though, obviously these things could never happen.  For me, I thought the actress playing Carol Ferris was the most annoying.  I don't even know why.  I just didn't think she was that great and thought they could have done better. 

At the end, when Sinestro finds the yellow lantern ring and becomes The Yellow Lantern, I thought for sure DC was hinting at a sequel--especially since I think Carol Ferris later becomes Star Sapphire in the Green Lantern comics.  However, maybe since The Green Lantern didn't do that well, maybe DC isn't looking at creating a sequel right now.  I know they're re-tooling Superman and Batman and planning on making a Superman/Batman movie.  I think they're also planning on a Justice League movie?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings