Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ball of Fire Slang

MelissaW.

I get the Story of Alexander Graham Bell reference and all but did anyone outside this movie really refer to the telephone as "the Ameche"? I want to believe that it's true.

About eight years ago I interviewed a number of people who grew up in The Great Depression and WWII for an

o r a l history project and a couple of them mentioned "the Ameche" as an example of slang that is no longer used.

About eight years ago I interviewed a number of people who grew up in The Great Depression and WWII for an

o r a l history project and a couple of them mentioned "the Ameche" as an example of slang that is no longer used.

But which came first- the slang in the movie, or it's popular use after the movie came out?  

• Like 1

But which came first- the slang in the movie, or it's popular use after the movie came out?  

Calling a phone "The Ameche" became popular after the release of The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1938),

• Like 1

Calling a phone "The Ameche" became popular after the release of The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1938),

Hmmmmm....then I wonder why askin' somebody to, "Please turn off all the Tracys before you leave the house", never caught on???

1775196,s3vu1BJPq997F+AEVRK4yYTk61+hsJrv

OR maybe, "Would you PLEASE turn down that damn Tracy?! I can't hear myself THINK!!!"

photo-La-Vie-de-Thomas-Edison-Edison-the

;)

i often suspect that many slang terms were invented by movie screenwriters, but they were slang terms that never existed in real life or among the general population. I started believing this after watching movies like BLACKBOARD JUNGLE, THE WILD ONES, and HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL when I was a teen. Some of the terms attributed to 1940s and 50s teenagers seemed to me to be terms invented in those eras by 50-60 year old guys who lived in Hollywood and wrote scripts for the movies. :)

Just as I suspected that about 90% of the "teens" in those teen movies were all over the age of 30. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings