Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You Belong to Me (1941)

Kid Dabb

I just finished watching the last 20 minutes of this on (ahem!) another channel. I've never seen or heard of this film before and was surprised as I tripped over it while channel hopping. From the looks of the ending, I must have missed the best parts - their meeting and personal arrangements.

I'm guessing this wasn't as good a film as All About Eve or many others because I have never seen or heard others talking about this. Still, some of these "low riders" can be even more entertaining than their bigger brothers and sisters.

This is not a comedy classic like "Ball of Fire" or "The Lady Eve", but still very much worth watching. Stanwyck and Fonda play off each other so well, and they always seem to be having a great time. It definitely has some delightful moments.

Terrence.

This was the third of three comedies that Stanwyck & Fonda made together.  Each one was at a different studio: THE MAD MISS MANTON (RKO); THE LADY EVE (Paramount); and YOU BELONG TO ME (Columbia).

It has been several years since YOU BELONG TO ME aired on TCM.  It was not included when Stanwyck was Star of the Month in December 2012.

If I remember correctly, it did not do too well at the box office.  Cohn rushed it into production to capitalize on the overwhelming success of THE LADY EVE, and the script is a little uneven in spots. Because it under-performed, the two stars were not ever paired again in a motion picture.  THE MAD MISS MANTON also under-performed (it was a series of non-hits for Stanwyck at RKO in the mid-30s).  Stanwyck would not have a hit for RKO until 1941's BALL OF FIRE, which was actually made by Sam Goldwyn and released thru RKO. At any rate, Stanwyck & Fonda only had one hit together, though all three are considered classics now.