Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mrroberts

D.O.A. (Dead On Arrival) 1950

What a great noir film.  Edmond  O'Brien (who I always like seeing) gives a terrific performance, a very intriguing story line, and excellent on location street scene filming.  And watch out for Chester (NevilIe Brand).   I wouldn't mind seeing this film on the Saturday night essentials slot.

• Like 1

What a great noir film.  Edmond  O'Brien (who I always like seeing) gives a terrific performance, a very intriguing story line, and excellent on location street scene filming.  And watch out for Chester (NevilIe Brand).   I wouldn't mind seeing this film on the Saturday night essentials slot.

A very very good movie I am planning on watching again today.  Yes, I would call this fine noir an "essential" as well. 

• Like 1

Another good noir film coming up on TCM in about a week is IMPACT with Brian Donlevy in the rare position of being a good guy lead.  I see that DOA and IMPACT were done by the same production company, Cardinal Pictures. They only did a small number of films but they did a great job of filming outdoor scenes and both of these films have tight storylines.  IMPACT  is another film I recommend watching (it has a rather well done special effect crash scene in it).

I wonder why they didn't tell the audience that the poison was some kind of radioactive material?

"D.O.A." was Neville Brands film debut. A much decorated World War 2 vet., Bruce Dern called him the "scariest man in Hollywood next to Audie Murphy"

Neville Brand looked like the "last guy you would want to mess with" .  As the way it is with so many of the great film villains  I tend to believe that in real life he was a rather nice guy.  But I still wouldn't have wanted to get him angry for any reason :rolleyes:

I wonder why they didn't tell the audience that the poison was some kind of radioactive material?

There is something mentioned in the credit sequence, that I just noticed this time, but it went by too fast.

I love the way they filmed several scenes right out on the busy streets ; O'Brien frantically running down the crowded sidewalk  running into and around unsuspecting people , the ride with Chester in the open convertible right thru heavy traffic, and of course the mayhem in the drugstore with gun happy Chester shooting at everything until the cop takes him out.

• Like 1

I thought it would be nice to bump this thread to the top now that I see we have a new poster, "Frank Bigelow" Hope he sees this and adds a comment or two.

• Like 1

D.O.A. has recently been discussed today because of Diana Barrymore appearing in it.  With the Barrymore spotlight focusing specifically  on the three siblings instead of the entire dynasty, people have talked about which films could have been spotlighted for Diana.  D.O.A. would have been a good choice for her.

I thought that for John Drew Barrymore, they could have aired While the City Sleeps.

D.O.A. has recently been discussed today because of Diana Barrymore appearing in it.  With the Barrymore spotlight focusing specifically  on the three siblings instead of the entire dynasty, people have talked about which films could have been spotlighted for Diana.  D.O.A. would have been a good choice for her.

I thought that for John Drew Barrymore, they could have aired While the City Sleeps.

Diana Barrymore had an unaccredited role in D.O.A.     Does anyone know how much screen time she has in this film?     

I have seen the movie many time and I admit can't recall what part she had.  

Diana Barrymore had an unaccredited role in D.O.A.     Does anyone know how much screen time she has in this film?     

I have seen the movie many time and I admit can't recall what part she had.  

I would have to see  it again for the screen time.  I can't remember if she was uncredited because she was unknown short on screen time (like with famous people making cameos in crowd scenes like in Spartacus.)

• Like 1

First off, Edmund O'Brien is one of my all-time favorite actors. He put that extra energy into his role like Bogie, Cagney, Robinson, and all the other greats. This movie is legendary Noir. I envy anyone who goes to watch it the first time. So compelling, although VERY difficult to follow in detail almost like The Big Sleep (which confused even the writers by the way!). It really doesn't matter much. The only little thing I would've done is eliminate the silly whistle they dubbed in when Edmund eyes the woman at the Hotel. Never the less, a total classic noir. 

• Like 1