Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Other SOTM: Suggestions

allthumbs

i was looking over the list of SOTM's, and saw that each year since 2000 at least one month has been devoted to a group or theme instead of an individual person. since 2000 the group or theme has been:

Aug 2000 Film Debuts                   Oct 2006 Child Stars                    Jan 2010 Method Acting

Apr 2001 Knighted Actors             Sep 2007 A Star is Born               July 2011 Singing Cowboys

Oct 2002 Final Films                     Nov 2007 Guest Programmers     Nov 2011 Battle of the Blondes

June 2003 TV Actors in Films       Mar 2008 Acting Dynasties           June 2012 Teen Idols

July 2004 Stars That Died             Apr 2009 Funny Ladies                May 2013 Tough Guys

Before Their Time         June 2009 Great Directors

Jan 2005 Canadian Actors

i enjoyed and found the most consistent quality during the month of Great Directors. on the other hand, i found Singing Cowboys and Teen Idols lackluster and mostly boring. but everyone's got a different opinion. i think the Cowboys or Idols could have been handled in one evening, instead of 4 complete evenings (with some spillover into the next day.)

i assume that TCM will continue this practice and will annouce (soon?) the group/theme for 2014.

what i'm looking for is suggestions for this yearly departure from the person who's SOTM. in particular, i think suggestions should be large enough to encompass four 24 hour schedules, although in practice TCM sometimes does and sometimes doesn't adhere to 24 hour scheduling for that month's SOTM.

what i want to avoid is a month of weak topics/people that make me groan when i see it. (i just want a suggestion for the theme/group, not a full schedule.)

personally, i'd like to see a month of Femme Fatales.

what are your ideas? 

Thanks for posting the list of previous topics, allthumbs. Two topics I'd like to see are:

Cinematographers

Film Composers

The only problem would be choosing which ones to feature. Obviously there are many deserving candidates.

personally, i'd like to see a month of Femme Fatales.

That's funny. After "Tough Guys" month I had also thought of Femme Fatales, as the other side of that coin, I suppose. I would want them to re-show "Such a Gorgeous Kid Like Me," which I saw during Truffaut month. Bernadette Lafont's character is a different sort of Femme Fatale but a perfect one, I think. Very funny and ruthless.

Perhaps TCM could do this for foreign actors. It seems unlikely that they would ever choose a foreign star as SOTM all by themselves, but maybe "French Stars" or "Japanese Stars" would be a nice compromise. I see that they had one for "Canadian Actors," but the films shown during that month were probably mostly Hollywood anyway.

I'd love to see a month devoted to classic French, Japanese or Italian films.  It'd be a nice change of pace from Hollywood themes that get showcased to the max already.  You'd also be more likely to see more premieres than usual, or at least we'd get to see some films in prime time that previously had been exclusively relegated to the overnight ghetto.

Maybe you could devote one night each to a particular actor, perhaps choosing one from each decade from the 30's through the 60's, with either the 20's or the 70's being a bonus if the tribute was over five weeks instead of four.  Or alternately, you could feature a representative sampling of films from each of those decades in successive weeks, with a variety of leading actors.

But whatever the theme, the main point is to get as many premieres as possible, and as few of the same old films that show up half a dozen times a year.

And P.S.:  Gigi is not a French film. ;)

• Like 1

I think that Femme Fatales would work quite nicely (not to mention French perforners, an inspired idea), but I also think that pre-code women, silent performers, and people who played a role on both stage and screen could also work.

For pre-code women, it would have to be actresses whose repuations rest almost exclusively with pre-code films, such as Dorothy Mackaill.

Perhaps TCM could do this for foreign actors. It seems unlikely that they would ever choose a foreign star as SOTM all by themselves, but maybe "French Stars" or "Japanese Stars" would be a nice compromise.

I believe that the closest which they have had were the months in which Leslie Howard and James Mason were SotM. They were primarily English actors.

They have honored several foreign directors in manner similar to the SotM feature. The month of Akira Kurosawa was wonderful and I wish I could have seen the month of Hayao Miyazaki. 

I would like very much to see "Japanese Stars" as SotM theme. I believe that Misa Uehara, Kiwako Taichi and Fukuko Sayo would be excellent choices as their bodies of work are excellent but yet so thin that they could not be SotM independently.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A while ago some people on the SOTM suggestions thread mentioned the possibility of character actors being SOTM, suggesting maybe multiple actors could be celebrated together. Considering character actors tend to have relatively small film roles, and often very many film appearances, it seemed like it would be particularly unsatisfactory to group them this way. However, occasionally a character actor would actually get a leading role in a film, like Elsa Lanchester in "Passport to Destiny," and those films are often rare treasures in a character actor's filmography. I'm sure a lot of you know many examples of this, but I've not seen it very often.

How about SOTM "Character Actors in Leading Roles"?

How about SOTM "Character Actors in Leading Roles"?

Well, there are many so-called "character actors" who often were in leading roles, if not always on the top of the credits.  Just to take two names that jump right out:  Edward Arnold and Charles Coburn.

True enough. And Roland Young's role in "Topper" was obviously leading, if not recognized by the academy. Some character actors were clearly bigger "stars" than others. But still, one seldom saw Edward Everett Horton in a lead, though I know he has been. (Actually I just got this idea seeing him in "Hitting a New High" today.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings