Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Preliminary Thread for: TCM Programming Challenge #26: Through A Lens, Spritely.

SansFin

I am starting this thread because the discussion within:Voting Thread For The 25th TCM Programming Challenge has become focused on the Challenge which is to begin on June 1, 2014.

I feel that since the Challenge threads are now being archived that it is of particular importance to separate discussion of TCM Programming Challenge #26 from discussion of the excellent TCM Programming Challenge #25.

I stated within that thread:

An option for TCM Programming Challenge #26 will be to have in one evening at least four movies from a country which has little representation on TCM. These four movies will carry "C-SP Exempt" status and so not count against the limit of premieres. These movies must be feature-length movies from any one country except: U.S.A., Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, Japan, France or Sweden. The movies must also not have been made by directors whose main body of work was in any of those countries. 

Issues raised concerning this include:

1) This will be an option. It will not be a requirement. I present it because some may wish to explore such a theme in their schedule but they can not justify using so many premieres on one theme. 

2) The movies are all to be from one country. I will exercise latitude with regard to: "one country" because of changing borders and various other situations. This is in particular true of Eastern Europe and Africa. It would be unfair to disqualify movies because different flags were flying over the same location where the movies were made on different days  .

3) My intention is that the movies should be of the country. I do not wish to see movies such as: Quo Vadis (1951) and  Roman Holiday (1953) presented as Italian movies. They are very good movies but they are in my opinion Hollywood movies even although they were filmed in Italy and Italian companies and Italian people participated in their production. 

The only way of which I know to make such distinction sans forcing entrants to petition individually for permission is to place a terse restriction on directors. I will be very happy to incorporate a different method which produces the desired result while not requiring long paragraphs of legalese. 

4) The movies of expatriates before they became expatriated are acceptable because I consider those movies are of their country.

My prohibition on directors was intended to disallow movies which were filmed in a foreign country only because the director coerced a studio into authorizing a location shoot as a way of funding their vacation. 

I feel that I must add a note concerning movies labeled as being made in Soviet Union. It was common for a director from one country to make a movie in a different country for a studio located in a third country. 

I believe that the most fair method is to allow all movies made in countries which were an SSR at the time the movie was made to be considered as having come from Soviet Union as if Soviet Union was a single country. Movies which were made in a country prior to that country becoming an SSR or made after they left the Soviet Union are of that country only.

I am sorry to say that I did not foresee such complications of what appeared to me to be such a simple idea. I regret that this has become so very complicated.

I hope that all will now use this thread to ask questions and to discuss this option and other aspects of TCM Programming Challenge #26: Through a Lens, Spritely. 

I have seen in review that I failed to respond to a question from: speedracer5:

"I had a question, if I pick a country like Italy for example, which is not listed in your list of excluded countries, can we pick films that feature actors who experienced mainstream success in American cinema?  I do not mean choosing "Houseboat" (for example) because it features Sophia Loren; but choosing Italian films starring Sophia Loren."

I feel that selection should be made based on nationality of the movie and not on the nationality of the stars or their popularity in other countries.

I consider Sophia Loren's movie: Scandal in Sorrento (1955) as Italian movie as it was made in Italy by an Italian director for an Italian studio.

I consider Sophia Loren's movie: It Started in Naples (1960) as Hollywood movie even although it was made in Italy because it was made by Hollywood director working for Hollywood studio.

The distinctions which I believe are the most easy to apply when determining nationality of a movie are the director and the location where the movie was made. There are surely many examples where these two things are in wild disagreement with the true nationality of the movie but as we are not writing academic treatises then I feel that the laxity is permissible.

My intention with this option is to display that wonderful movies come from many countries. I have hopes that it may at least subliminally prod true TCM Programmers to look to less-common countries as sources for movies. 

I hope also that the entrants will bring to light truly wonderful movies of which I have never heard and which I will enjoy once I know to seek them.

This was from the previous thread:

My intention is that the movies should be of that country. I do not wish to see movies such as: Quo Vadis (1951) and  Roman Holiday (1953) presented as Italian movies. They are very good movies but they are in my opinion Hollywood movies even although they were filmed in Italy and Italian companies and Italian people participated in their production.

Got it, and I'm glad that's what you meant.  Any other interpretation would have defeated the whole purpose and spirit of the suggestion.

EDIT:  I see you reinforced this point below, which I hadn't yet read when I wrote the above.

Any other interpretation would have defeated the whole purpose and spirit of the suggestion.

I wish this to be an exploration of a country's ethos as represented in their movies. I feel this will not be realized if a person would chose movies in which the country is a backdrop only. A restriction on directors is the only method which I feel is easy to apply and does not place an onerous burden of research on an entrant.

Your raising the issue of expatriates brings to my mind an idea for a future Challenge: a night wherein is shown a movie a director made in their homeland and then a movie with the same plot which they made after living in Hollywood for many years. I believe the differences between the two would be very interesting. It would be interesting also to see what basic values did not change.

Your raising the issue of expatriates brings to my mind an idea for a future Challenge: a night wherein is shown a movie a director made in their homeland and then a movie with the same plot which they made after living in Hollywood for many years. I believe the differences between the two would be very interesting. It would be interesting also to see what basic values did not change.

That sounds like another interesting theme, and maybe you or someone with much more knowledge of directors than I have could post a list of prominent directors who'd established solid bodies of work in their own countries before taking their talents to South Beach----Oops, I mean Hollywood.

Fritz Lang and Hitchcock would be two I'd lead off with, but I'm sure that there were many others who'd be worth exploring.

The ex-patriot idea reminds me of a theme I did a few schedules back where I focused on filmmakers and actors who came to the USA specifically to flee the Nazis, like Cuddles Sakall and Marlene Dietrich. Doing something similar but about the Soviets, etc, would be fascinating.

As for your challenge option, I gotta say that doing research about the country I picked (not telling yet), since I've only seen two films from that country, I already stumbled on one that looks incredibly fascinating and not only am I going to schedule it, but I'm also going to try to find it to see it. So your challenge has already done some good for one person.

That sounds like another interesting theme, and maybe you or someone with much more knowledge of directors than I have could post a list of prominent directors who'd established solid bodies of work in their own countries before taking their talents to South Beach----Oops, I mean Hollywood.

It would require a person far more knowledgeable than I. I am not quite sure how I could begin to research it. 

I do not follow careers. The extent of my interest in such things is commonly only that I am more likely to watch a movie which I have not watched before if I recognize the name of the director or stars from movies which I like. I am much more likely to recognize the cinematography or story technique of a director than to be able to pick out from movies from a list.

The reason I would like to use the theme of a director's work in their homeland and then in Hollywood is because I think it would be interesting to watch but I am incapable of finding such movies on my own. I take example from Mark Twain's fence-whitewashing technique to try to find ways to lure others into doing work which I can not or do not wish to do.

As for your challenge option, I gotta say that doing research about the country I picked (not telling yet), since I've only seen two films from that country, I already stumbled on one that looks incredibly fascinating and not only am I going to schedule it, but I'm also going to try to find it to see it. So your challenge has already done some good for one person.

I have found that imdb.com has an: "Advanced Search" feature which allows searching for movies by country, date, genre and several other factors. 

They do seem to hide it. You must scroll down to the bottom of their main page. There are there several lines of small text in blue. One of the lines is: Home | Search | Site Index. and etc. Selecting "Search" takes you to a page of various searches. The top of the list is: "Advanced Title Search." Selecting that takes you to a page of boxes and buttons where you define the search. 

Countries are divided in their box between: "Common Countries" and "Less-Common Countries." "Common Countries" are listed first with: "Less-Common Countries" below them. 

Example: I left the title box blank. I selected the button for: "Feature Film." I entered into: "Release Date" the numbers 1980 and 2000 to limit the search to movies made between those dates. I scrolled down in the: "Countries" box to the division of "Less-Common Countries" and selected: "Algeria" below it. The search is begun by clicking on: "Search" on the yellow button near the bottom of the page. The search with these criteria returns a list of forty-five titles.

I am sad to say that doing this carries consequences. I performed that search to ensure that I was including all necessary steps.  I then made the mistake at looking at the result. The first movie listed is: Le Bal (1983). The blurb is intriguing. It led me to look at that movie's page. The synopsis and reviews now make me wish that I could watch it. I have no idea as to where I might find a copy.

I am sad to say that doing this carries consequences. I performed that search to ensure that I was including all necessary steps.  I then made the mistake at looking at the result. The first movie listed is: Le Bal (1983). The blurb is intriguing. It led me to look at that movie's page. The synopsis and reviews now make me wish that I could watch it. I have no idea as to where I might find a copy.

It's a French film available in Algeria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVJdvA4eSGg

It's a French film available in Algeria.

It is a collaboration of Italian, French and Algerian companies. The director was Ettore Scola who is most definitely Italian!

It does not seem to be available on DVD in any country. It was once available on VHS but the distributor no longer lists it in their catalogue.

The reason I would like to use the theme of a director's work in their homeland and then in Hollywood is because I think it would be interesting to watch but I am incapable of finding such movies on my own. I take example from Mark Twain's fence-whitewashing technique to try to find ways to lure others into doing work which I can not or do not wish to do.

Dammit, that's my move!  Find your own way of avoiding work! B)

I take example from Mark Twain's fence-whitewashing technique to try to find ways to lure others into doing work which I can not or do not wish to do.

Dammit, that's my move!  Find your own way of avoiding work! B)

Please do not be of concern in it. I have worked very hard to compile an extensive repertoire of ways to avoid work. I use them in rotation so as to not become predictable.  I am not due to use that technique again until late-2016 or early-2017.

Complete listing of SOTM and SUTS can be found in the Stickie Forum as their own thread.

They can also be found in the SOTM thread and the SUTS sub-forums respectively in the TCM Programs forum.

SOTM:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48417-tcm-stars-of-the-month/

SUTS:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48418-summer-under-the-stars/

And as a Stickie:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48413-star-of-the-month-summer-under-the-stars-honorees/

I wish to remind all that they should have their thinking caps fitted snugly and comfortably because: TCM Programming Challenge #26 will begin a fortnight from now. 

The Challenge-specific required theme will be for one night of four movies only so those who wish to cheat prepare in advance are free to begin work on all other parts of their schedules.

I plan no change to normal rules in regards to form or format. 

I may have an option in addition to the one which I presented in my original post.

I will give a hint that: "Through a Lens, Spritely" notated in this thread's subject line was for obfuscation purposes only and bears no relationship to the true nature of the required theme. I hold in reserve the right to change that statement if a delightfully wicked idea of that nature presents itself to me prior to the beginning of the Challenge.

I urge all to ask questions if any part of creating a schedule or entering a Challenge is confusing or unclear to them.

I wish good luck and brilliant ideas to all! :)

• Like 1

I will give a hint that: "Through a Lens, Spritely" notated in this thread's subject line was for obfuscation purposes only and bears no relationship to the true nature of the required theme. 

I thought based on the thread's subject line that all the movies had to have some significant spider connection. That would be interesting!

I thought based on the thread's subject line that all the movies had to have some significant spider connection. That would be interesting!

I believe that my thought processes were approx. that these Challenges reflect our love of movies and so what came to the top of my mind was: Through a Glass Darkly (1961). The most prominent glass relating to movies is the lens of the camera. Our love of movies is alive and active and not brooding and so 'spritely' replaced 'darkly.' 

An equally valid explanation might be that it was the result of a brain burp resulting from eating cold pepperoni pizza slathered with sour cream and sprinkled with crumbled blue cheese.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings