Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The one where she spends a lot of time with a man who is not her husband

TopBilled

imgres-110.jpg

Yes, that is the plot for some really great classic films.  Try SINCE YOU WENT AWAY.  The entire story is framed by the leaving and coming home of Claudette Colbert's husband.  But in between, for a very long piece of movie, she gets to dilly dally with Joseph Cotten.  The sacrifices women must make when their honeys are not around.  Oh, brave homefront!

imgres16.jpg

Then it's Claudette again in the screwball comedy GUEST WIFE.  She is married to Dick Foran (billed as Richard Foran). Foran's buddy, played by Don Ameche, has to impress an important client who happens to think he's, well um, married.  So he borrows Claudette for the entire film to pose as his wife, so he can close the deal.

Why, TB! I'm surprised you didn't also mention your gal Claudette's turn in THE PALM BEACH STORY at the same time here?!

'Cause she sure spends a whole lot of time with Rudy Vallee, and even though she's married to Joel McCrea in that one...

palm-beach-story-e1344699220943.jpg

• Like 1

And then on a much less lighthearted note, there's THAT FORSYTE WOMAN, and where Greer Garson begins spending more time with Robert Young and then Walter Pigeon than with her coldhearted hubby Errol Flynn.

• Like 1

Wow.  This same scenario is taking place at my work between two co-workers (1 married)! Scandal!  What a coincidence that the same situation is being discussed on the boards.

Anyway...

A Summer Place, Troy Donahue's mom begins spending a lot of time with Sandra Dee's dad.

• Like 1

Why, TB! I'm surprised you didn't also mention your gal Claudette's turn in THE PALM BEACH STORY at the same time here?!

'Cause she sure spends a whole lot of time with Rudy Vallee, and even though she's married to Joel McCrea in that one...

palm-beach-story-e1344699220943.jpg

And hoo boy, did he drop a bundle on her! Anyone remember the running list Rudy keeps, with prices? Even now, those charges would be outrageous.

In MY REPUTATION, which TCM aired last night-- we have Barbara Stanwyck spending a lot of time with George Brent after the recent death of her husband.  Of course, her mother and other members of the community feel she should remain in a state of mourning. Is she betraying her husband's memory?

TB, your bringing up of Barbara Stanwyck here has reminded me of THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (1956), and where Babs starts spending a whole lot of time with Fred MacMurray who IS married to Joan Bennett.

3c3e3a87a81a7ec7b99800b2b165cfa6.jpg

(...this would kind of count here, right?!..I mean, Fred "is not her husband")

Right after this scene Joan calls the insurance man and asks about "double indemnity" life insurance policies ("He doesn't actually have to read and sign this does he?" ) :rolleyes:

LOL

Good point, Mr. R! Yep, Wilder's classic Noir would be another very good example of Fred and the married Babs "spending a lot of time together", wouldn't it!

How about a non sexist flip on this....what about all the movies where the husband spends lots of time with a woman who is not his wife?

I object, Arturo! That's STILL "sexist"!!!

Actually, I'm not quite sure why you would used the term "sexist"(okay, actually you used "non sexist"...same-difference however) here, as that term now days implies a negative connotation, and whereas I DO believe TB's thread title MIGHT be vaguely accused of being "gender specific" but HARDLY "sexist".

And, NOT to mention that in almost all of the replies which have been offered up so far in his thread, some of them such as my own "THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW" reply would fit very nicely into your so-called "non-sexist" alternate title, wouldn't you say?!

(...and sorry if this sounds unduly argumentative here, but I have "a thing" about the proper use of this crazy hodgepodge of a language known as English, as I find the practice of selecting JUST the right word or words to convey a thought occasionally helps make my many attempts at humor slightly more successful...though of course THIS thought, the whole "successful" thing here that is, MIGHT be a very argumentative topic in and of ITSELF, huh!!!) LOL

;)

I object, Arturo! That's STILL "sexist"!!!

Actually, I'm not quite sure why you would used the term "sexist"(okay, actually you used "non sexist"...same-difference however) here, as that term now days implies a negative connotation, and whereas I DO believe TB's thread title MIGHT be vaguely accused of being "gender specific" but HARDLY "sexist".

;)

You're right.  The thread is not meant to be sexist, and I don't see where anyone could get that impression at all.  I had watched SINCE YOU WENT AWAY, and it occurred to me that Claudette played a virtuous character but that her leading man was Joseph Cotten, who did not play her husband.  That intrigued me, because of the production code, which ensures that they not do anything improper.  In a film like DOUBLE INDEMNITY, when something improper is done, the characters have to die, the ultimate price to satisfy the code requirements.  

Knowing my history of feminist-based postings around here, and knowing that I usually create sister threads that are a variation on a theme, we could certainly expect that I would at some point start a thread called 'The one where he spends a lot of time with a woman who is not his wife.'  But then would someone come on and call that one sexist, too?  Ay, muchacho!

In the 1931 film SMART WOMAN  Mary Astor returns home from a trip to find that her husband has taken up with another woman (my main  gal, Noel Francis). He is very open about this new  relationship and he wants a divorce from Mary. She in turn fakes a relationship with another man (he had befriended her on the ocean voyage home and agrees to play along with Mary) so as to make her husband jealous and hopefully he will come back to her.  This film works on both themes.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings