Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Disappointed in TCM's last airing of How The West Was Won

NipkowDisc

I personally like HOW THE WEST WAS WON in the smilebox format, but most folks have never experienced the very deeply curved Cinerama screen in a theater and don't understand the reasoning behind the look of it so I can see why TCM shows both versions. It could be a lot worse. I happened to run across it on one of the other movie channels not long ago and they were showing it in pan and scan.

.. I can see why TCM shows both versions. It could be a lot worse. I happened to run across it on one of the other movie channels not long ago and they were showing it in pan and scan...

Oh man! They (not TCM.. the "other") could not have picked a more distinctive feature to pan-n-scan. That's effectively two-thirds of the whole film unseen!

I was hoping for the smilebox instead we got a conventional letterbox presentation. Is smilebox just for special occasions? :rolleyes: Those closing california panoramas really looked awesome smileboxed.

Not to nitpick here ND, but If you're referring to your thumbnail image here and not to the closing aerial footage of L.A.'s Harbor Freeway(and while Spencer Tracy narrates how we would ultimately tame or I suppose "win" The West by the middle of the 20th Century) in this film, that would be Utah's Monument Valley, and not California. ;)

(...and trust me here...being a man who for many years as an Angeleno had to utilize the aforementioned Harbor Freeway in his many commutes, NOBODY "wins" anymore whenever they have to use THAT sucker!!!) LOL

I had a hard time getting past the desperate blonde wanting to marry Jimmy Stewart in the buckskins.

Well, Carroll Baker always DID pretty much play the "desperate blonde" TYPE, didn't SHE?! ;)

Btw, and speakin' o' "blondes"...I wonder what kind of effect we would have gotten if the ultimate hourglass-shaped Mae West had ALSO appeared in this flick and in this smile-box format???

(...I guess we'll never know, huh!)

I've seen it panned-and-scanned. Horrifying. During the buffalo stampede, the two lines marking the edges of the screens slide back and forth often enough to make you seasick.

I agree. I don't like the whole idea of P&S, but depending on how the original film was framed and how much care was used in the reformatting process, there are some that I can at least sit through without too much complaining, but HOW THE WEST WAS WON sure isn't one of them.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings