Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sequels: the Good, the Bad, and the Many

I wanted to start a conversation about sequels. Every movie on earth seems to have a sequel these days, but sequels are as old as the hills (i.e. the Thin Man movies). Many stink, but which ones in your opinion are actually good? And which movies were sequeled to death?

Example: A good sequel would be both Toy Story 2 & 3 (IMHO of course), a bad sequel would be something like Grease 2 (as previously mentioned in another thread), and a movie with a million billion unnecessary sequels would be Godzilla.

Which sequels & film series do you enjoy? Which should never have been made?

Discuss!

The greatest series of "sequels" have to be the James Bond series over 5 decades of allure.  Most have been interesting and lavish and fun but no matter where the series goes in the future I will always recognize Sean Connery as the quintessential Bond of Bonds  I look forward to future installments of this greatest of ongoing sequels.  Always fun to see them whether terrific or not-so-terrific.  They have been by far the most successful of "sequels" and spawned many imitations and basically started a whole new cult of movies and novels based on intelligence/spy services.  No other series of "sequels" has been so macho male-fantasy oriented. 

I only mention this because I happened to read a bit about it earlier.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Personally, I feel this is one of the worst films made. Lucky for the producers and the studio though.. the other 6.48 billion people on this planet loved it - so much their patronage made this film the most successful one of the Indiana Jones franchise. Go figure.

Well, two sequels that are almost universally hailed "as the best sequels ever made" and/or "better than the original" would be THE GODFATHER: Part II, and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. However, personally I've always thought that with the original films bearing the additional task of introducing the characters in each of these series to the public AND doing that SO well, that it makes that second thought of "better than the original" somewhat of an unfair comparison.

• Like 1

In the classic days, sequels were often as good as the originals. Although I like the original Frankenstein, I think Bride of Frankenstein is even better, and Dracula's Daughter is a good as her father. Even the lesser Universal sequels (The Mummy's Hand, Curse, Ghost, Tomb) were highly enjoyable. Though I still think Ann Codee's death in The Mummy's Curse is one of the saddest deaths in cinema. Such a warm character -- Tante Berthe -- and right after her big musical number!

I only mention this because I happened to read a bit about it earlier.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

Personally, I feel this is one of the worst films made. Lucky for the producers and the studio though.. the other 6.48 billion people on this planet loved it - so much their patronage made this film the most successful one of the Indiana Jones franchise. Go figure.

I don't know why you think everyone else likes it--everyone I've ever spoken to or heard of thinks of this film as an abomination. In fact it's become a universal joke. I think the money was made because of people who went to see it because they loved the first three.

(PS I didn't mean for that first phrase to sound so snarky--I really am curious and don't mean to imply that your friends are idiots or something)

Edited by LonesomePolecat

Well, two sequels that are almost universally hailed "as the best sequels ever made" and/or "better than the original" would be THE GODFATHER: Part II, and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. However, personally I've always thought that with the original films bearing the additional task of introducing the characters in each of these series to the public AND doing that SO well, that it makes that second thought of "better than the original" somewhat of an unfair comparison.

Never seen G2 but EMPIRE is a great example.

.. I think the money was made because of people who went to see it because they loved the first three..

That is my belief, also. I didn't care for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom either, it kinda felt like a Disneyland ride. First and third films I liked very much. I guess I'm playing hopscotch  :P

LonesomePolecat, on 07 May 2014 - 9:27 PM, said:

(PS I didn't mean for that first phrase to sound so snarky--I really am curious and don't mean to imply that your friends are idiots or something)

;)

Not to worry.. 

I would say the Jaws sequels are pretty bad.  I know on another board, people were saying that they thought the first "Jaws" was bad (which I respectfully disagree, but to each his own); but the sequels are horrible.

Smokey and The Bandit 2 was horrible.  Probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen.  Jackie Gleason wasn't even funny in this one.  I haven't seen Smokey and the Bandit 3; but I understand that it's worse than the second one. 

Then there are all those wonderful sequels to their classics that Disney keeps producing years after the fact.  Little Mermaid II, Pocahontas II, etc.  Usually they involve the children of the Princess and her Prince that she married in the first film.  The only good sequel I can think of that they produced was the sequel to "Aladdin," called "The Return of Jafar." 

I hate the trend that's going on now where years after the original, they decide that they need to produce a new one.  Very rarely is it a good idea. 

It also seems like nowadays movies are made with sequels in mind.  It's now a given that a sequel will be made, or, if the film was successful, a sequel is instantly in the works.  How many "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies do we need anyway? The first two were pretty good; the third one was okay, but too long.  Then I stopped watching them.

Then there are all those wonderful sequels to their classics that Disney keeps producing years after the fact.  Little Mermaid II, Pocahontas II, etc.  Usually they involve the children of the Princess and her Prince that she married in the first film.  The only good sequel I can think of that they produced was the sequel to "Aladdin," called "The Return of Jafar." 

Those disney sequels to me are an abomination. Seriously, Bambi II? How do you make a sequel to that? Does Faline take Bambi Jr our to the meadow and get show, then Bambi Jr hangs out with Bambi til he grows up? They put such shame to the originals. I just pretend like they never happened, like the Star Wars prequels. Never happened... La la la... Can't year you...

On the note of Star Wars, do we think the new one will be any good? Can't be worse than the prequels, right?

Yep, what a shame is was that Lucas COMPLETELY forgot why his original series we're not only successful at the box office but were also greeted with critical success....

GEORGE, IT WAS THE LIGHTHEARTED COMEDIC BITS SPREAD THROUGHOUT THE ORIGINALS THAT MADE YOUR FILMS SO SUCCESSFUL, AND NOT SOME PLOT-DRIVEN STORYLINES, DUDE!!!!!!! REMEMBER LINES LIKE:

"Good shootin', Kid. Now don't get cocky!"

and

"I gotta bad feeling about this!"

and

"I love you."

"-Yeah, I know!"

SO GEORGE, PLEASE REMEMBER THIS, DUDE, AND DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES AGAIN, OKAY????!!!!

(...sorry, I get carried away sometimes, ya know) ;)

Yep, what a shame is was that Lucas COMPLETELY forgot why his original series we're not only successful at the box office but were also greeted with critical success....

GEORGE, IT WAS THE LIGHTHEARTED COMEDIC BITS SPREAD THROUGHOUT THE ORIGINALS THAT MADE YOUR FILMS SO SUCCESSFUL, AND NOT SOME PLOT-DRIVEN STORYLINES, DUDE!!!!!!! REMEMBER LINES LIKE:

"Good shootin', Kid. Now don't get cocky!"

and

"I gotta bad feeling about this!"

and

"I love you."

"-Yeah, I know!"

SO GEORGE, PLEASE REMEMBER THIS, DUDE, AND DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES AGAIN, OKAY????!!!!

(...sorry, I get carried away sometimes, ya know) ;)

I will not see any new star wars film until Lucas can explain how Darth Vader never sensed in the very first 1977 film that Princess Leia was his daughter.  :P  The dark side must've failed him...or was it George? :lol:

I think they should have stopped ROCKY with the first one.  To steal an opinion from a firend of mine, the following sequels were "pointless boxsploitation".

We can't, of course, have this kind of topic without the mention of long string of annual sequels in the "FRIDAY THE 13th/ELM STREET" movies.  What are they...up to 25 or so by now? ;)

Sepiatone

You can keep all the Elm Street movies.. most of the Friday and Halloweens I can take or leave depending on my mood - except for the first Halloween - I'll always like that one. The series I really enjoy are Hellraiser and Phantasm. Hellraiser just had some excellent visual effects and Phantasm made me believe it could really happen.. in my town!

• Like 1

I wanted to start a conversation about sequels. Every movie on earth seems to have a sequel these days, but sequels are as old as the hills (i.e. the Thin Man movies). Many stink, but which ones in your opinion are actually good? And which movies were sequeled to death?

Your example - my favorite movie franchise of all time - fits both, I think.  The last two films in the series pale enough in comparison to their predecessors it can certainly be argued the franchise went on too long (although I'm glad they exist).  But the first three sequels are good films, especially the first two, and depending on what mood I'm in when asked to rank the six Thin Man films, I sometimes even put After the Thin Man (the first sequel) in the top spot over the original.

Among contemporary films, I think the Scream franchise is one with good sequels.   

• Like 1

The other thing that helped him was not being respected by his cast--they just did what they felt was right. Also, a great film & sound editor. Then in the other two movies what saved him was that he didn't direct them at all. :)

Those disney sequels to me are an abomination. Seriously, Bambi II? How do you make a sequel to that? Does Faline take Bambi Jr our to the meadow and get show, then Bambi Jr hangs out with Bambi til he grows up? They put such shame to the originals. I just pretend like they never happened, like the Star Wars prequels. Never happened... La la la... Can't year you...

On the note of Star Wars, do we think the new one will be any good? Can't be worse than the prequels, right?

Now youve jinxed it.  It will be terrible for sure. 

• Like 1

Example: A good sequel would be both Toy Story 2 & 3 (IMHO of course), a bad sequel would be something like Grease 2 (as previously mentioned in another thread), and a movie with a million billion unnecessary sequels would be Godzilla.

Which sequels & film series do you enjoy? Which should never have been made?

Discuss!

What about 2 "Godzilla" reboots - 1998 and 2014?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings