Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ROMAN HOLIDAY scheduled to air on August 22 during Summer Under The Stars

Audrey Hepburn will be honored on August 22 during the Summer Under The Stars, and I am happy to see that ROMAN HOLIDAY is scheduled to air at 8:00 PM Eastern on that day.

Thank you, TCM!

It is about time.  ROMAN HOLIDAY has been missing from the schedule for too long.  They need to get SABRINA and BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S which hasn't aired in ages.

Audrey Hepburn will be honored on August 22 during the Summer Under The Stars, and I am happy to see that ROMAN HOLIDAY is scheduled to air at 8:00 PM Eastern on that day.

Thank you, TCM!

Did any actress ever make a bigger splash with her first significant film role?

Hmmmm, let's see here....

Well, there WAS Esther Williams!

(...yeah, I know, much too easy, huh)

• Like 1

Thank you, TCM!

YAY! That's good news. Has Audrey ever had a SUTS day.? I dont think so. Hopefully we'll see some other of her Paramount films that are rarely shown. I dont think Roman Holiday as been on for awhile. Hope Funny Face is scheduled too and Sabrina.......

YAY! That's good news. Has Audrey ever had a SUTS day.? I dont think so. Hopefully we'll see some other of her Paramount films that are rarely shown. I dont think Roman Holiday as been on for awhile. Hope Funny Face is scheduled too and Sabrina.......

Audrey has been included in SUTS celebrations- August 2006 and August 2009.  The list of previous SUTS honorees is listed in the Summer Under the Stars topic in TCM Programs forums and also in the Stickie forum (which also includes previous SOTMs).

Is Funny Face scheduled?

Since it won't be on for SUTS, I'd highly recommend the new Blu-ray of FUNNY FACE if you want to see it and have a BR player.  The image quality on the new disc is as stunning as the performances -- which is pretty stunning.  One of my favorite movies with either star.

Since it won't be on for SUTS, I'd highly recommend the new Blu-ray of FUNNY FACE if you want to see it and have a BR player.  The image quality on the new disc is as stunning as the performances -- which is pretty stunning.  One of my favorite movies with either star.

Thanks for the info. It's one of my favorites of both stars as well......THINK PINK!

Audrey02sm.jpg

I saw Roman Holiday for the first time 3-4 months ago and wrote about it on another

thread. I had a similar thought, specifically what it would have been like to walk into

a threater in 1953 and have never seen her or even known about her, and then to see her in this.

What a profound impression she makes! I had not seen a lot of Audrey but I certainly

knew about her and was well aware of what she looked like, etc., and even I was I quite

blown away by her, this fragile, ethereal beauty.

The center of the movie---the gallivanting (sp?) all around Rome---was less enjoyable

for me than the beginning and especially the ending. One of the best endings---ever!

"I should like to meet the ladies and gentleman of the press."

--

I'd like Roman Holiday if the male lead were someone other than the cigar store Indian.  Audrey isn't the problem.  The problem is that other than Rex Harrison, none of her co-leads really complement her persona; they're either mostly way too old (Cooper is a casting joke is Love in the Afternoon) or way too wooden.

I'd like Roman Holiday if the male lead were someone other than the cigar store Indian.  Audrey isn't the problem.  The problem is that other than Rex Harrison, none of her co-leads really complement her persona; they're either mostly way too old (Cooper is a casting joke is Love in the Afternoon) or way too wooden.

Actually, I think that Peck's carpenter-created persona is perfect as a a counterpoint to Audrey's glow. What would you have wanted, someone like Rod Steiger chewing the scenery?

Audrey02sm.jpg

I saw Roman Holiday for the first time 3-4 months ago and wrote about it on another

thread. I had a similar thought, specifically what it would have been like to walk into

a threater in 1953 and have never seen her or even known about her, and then to see her in this.

What a profound impression she makes! I had not seen a lot of Audrey but I certainly

knew about her and was well aware of what she looked like, etc., and even I was I quite

blown away by her, this fragile, ethereal beauty.

The center of the movie---the gallivanting (sp?) all around Rome---was less enjoyable

for me than the beginning and especially the ending. One of the best endings---ever!

"I should like to meet the ladies and gentleman of the press."

--

I remember seeing this at a local public showing some years ago (I had seen it many times before, but never with an audience). Walking out I could hear comments from people who obviously had not seen it before and the impact her performance had on them (particularly that last scene). Wyler obviously worked his magic, but there had to be magic there to begin with. I agree one of the best endings in films.......

I think Peck is a better choice than the original choice for the film, Cary Grant. His somewhat wooden style and everyday man persona fits the role. In particular, he carries off the final scenes (when he starts to have a conscience) very well...

Actually, I think that Peck's carpenter-created persona is perfect as a a counterpoint to Audrey's glow. What would you have wanted, someone like Rod Steiger chewing the scenery?

Maybe not Steiger, but definitely Grant or Rex Harrison,  or any actor with charisma greater than a pet rock.

I think that one of the things that really helps Roman Holiday is the chemistry between Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Peck, as the big marquee name when this film went into production, insisted that the unknown Hepburn receive star billing with him.

The two developed a friendship during production that would last until her death.

I think Peck is a better choice than the original choice for the film, Cary Grant. His somewhat wooden style and everyday man persona fits the role. In particular, he carries off the final scenes (when he starts to have a conscience) very well...

Grant would have taken too much attention away from Audrey's stunning film debut.

• 3 months later...

I really love Roman Holiday. While I haven't been waiting for it to air on TCM (I already have a copy); I really do love this film and it makes sense that it would be included in an Audrey Hepburn salute.  Hepburn made such an amazing debut with this film.  The only actress I can think of who is comparable is Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not.  While I don't think Roman Holiday is technically Hepburn's film debut, I think it is her first substantial film role.  I love the whole scene after she sneaks out of the embassy (or wherever it is that she's staying) and explores Rome as a tourist.  Hepburn's charm, simplistic glamour and everything that Hepburn is known for shines through in this film.

While I agree that Gregory Peck is somewhat wooden (which I think is just how he is, since he seems this way in most of his films), I think it works for this role.  I like the casting of Eddie Albert as Peck's friend.  Albert's character and personality is a nice way to offset Peck's stuffiness.  I also really loved Peck's Rome apartment.

This is such a great film, it's fun, has a love story and Hepburn and Peck have such a great relationship with one another.  It's a shame that they didn't make another film together.  I agree that the casting of Grant would have overshadowed Hepburn's role in the film.  While I enjoy the Hepburn/Grant collaboration in Charade, I think that Peck and Hepburn were perfect.  The only other actor whom I can think of that would have been excellent in the Peck role would be William Holden.  William Holden has similar qualities to Peck except that he's a little more relaxed.  

Looking at the Hepburn schedule for tomorrow, I see that they're airing the dreadful Love in the Afternoon, sorry Audrey, I love you, but this film was so boring.  I think I'm going to DVR Green Mansions (just because I heard it was so bizarre), and The Children's Hour (I missed it when it aired during the James Garner tribute last month.  I want to see it).  Even though I own the films, I wish they were showing Breakfast at Tiffany'sHow to Steal a MillionSabrina, and Funny Face in lieu of some of her pre-Roman Holiday films, which I don't believe she has a substantial role in.  I guess these films are interesting out of curiosity as they feature Audrey Hepburn in a supporting role? 

I wish they were showing Breakfast at Tiffany'sHow to Steal a MillionSabrina, and Funny Face in lieu of some of her pre-Roman Holiday films, which I don't believe she has a substantial role in.  I guess these films are interesting out of curiosity as they feature Audrey Hepburn in a supporting role? 

I feel as if I am burned-out on: Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961). It was years ago one of my great favorites but I seem to like it less each time that I watch it.

I love very much: How to Steal a Million (1966). It is one of my all-time favorite movies. It is nearly perfect in all regards. I do wish that TCM would air it often.

I like very much: Sabrina (1954). She is ideal as winsome girl. The storyline is so sound that the 1995 was quite good despite so many mistakes.

I am sad to say that it is many years since I have had opportunity to watch: Funny Face (1957). I feel it is a wonderful movie but each time that I watch it I must wonder how grand it might have been with a different male lead. I love Fred Astaire but I feel that he was not correct for the role and that he did not feel comfortable in it and did not make it his own.

I am very sad to say that I must disagree strongly with your sentiment concerning: Love in the Afternoon (1957). It is one of my favorites. I feel that it is one which they should air each and every month.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings